Smashing Pumpkins-Zeitgeist

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Smashing Pumpkins-Zeitgeist

Postby Stephen » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:50 pm

Ok. Review time! 7 Years ago, The Smashing Pumpkins broke up. After a very succesful run that ended up with the band having sold millions of albums. I remember at the time, how bummed I was. At that time, my brother had gotten me into listening to them. Lead singer Billy Corgan has such a unique voice that you either love it, or hate it. I had forgotten my love of the band over the years to be honest. Then, I heard some very good news. On June 21, 2005 Corgan took an entire page of the Chicago Tribune to announce that he wanted his band back and would be recording a new album. It took about a year for the new material to begin taking shape. And now, released July 6th 2007, Zeitgeist. The big problem many reunions have, is that they never seem to have that same magic the old stuff had. Well I can tell you honestly, as a huge old Pumpkins fan....I love the new stuff as much as the old. Considering that Corgan was called a control freak in the old days for recording much of what you heard on albums...the new stuff misses nothing from the old days. The only 2 members from the original crew are Billy Corgan on vocals and Jimmy Chamberlin on drums. You honestly cannot tell the new stuff from the old. The album opens strong with Doomsday Clock. Tarantula at #5 continues the feel of the old days as well. Overall the band has captured what they had in the 90s. Now, to some modern music fans....perhaps this new stuff is nothing to look into...but if you were a 90s kid and loved the music back then, give Zeitgeist a shot. You won't be sorry. I give it a solid 4 out of 5.

Also, for those wondering...the lyrics are clean on this album.
Stephen

Postby ilikegir33 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:12 am

YES! The Pumpkins are back. Finally. I heard Tarantula on the radio and it's good. I'll buy the album.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Kkun » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:05 am

Yeah, I'm probably going to pick this up. The Pumpkins were great.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Stephen » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:35 pm

Ok. I have huge news. The other night I saw on the Pumpkins Myspace, that after a slew of Euro shows...they were hitting Boston. As a joke, I mentioned this to a buddy of mine...and he was like, dude lets go. So I got super excited. Raced home after work and loaded up ticketmaster...only to find out the show in October sold out weeks ago. So broken hearted and depressed I gave up hope. But then somthing wonderful happend. Randomly punching in concert tickets into a search lead me to a few sites that claimed to have tickets. Long story short, buddy called me today and informed me that we are going to see The Smashing Pumpkins October 13th in Boston! This is probably the biggest concert I will ever go to...since I have been a Pumpkins fan since I was a kid. This is really a dream come true for me, and I really owe a lot of it to that friend of mine who managed to sort through a bunch of crap sites with hidden fees, to find a legit site. I guess now, websites buy most tickets for big shows up and mark the tickets up. 40 dollar tickets, we just paid 84 each for. Which stinks, but still....I am so happy I am getting to go at all. And not even nosebleed seats. We are about halfway out from the stage.
Stephen

Postby c.t.,girl » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:55 pm

KYAAAAAAAAAA! ;A; I WISH I COULD GOOOO! i remember when i was in jr. high i use to listen to them. man how i wish i could goooo. ;~;
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Stephen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:17 pm

I will post a big fat nerdy review here when I get back. I plan on getting the setlist too.
Stephen

Postby c.t.,girl » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:43 am

x] yay!
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Tommy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:05 am

ShatterheartArk wrote:Ok. I have huge news. The other night I saw on the Pumpkins Myspace, that after a slew of Euro shows...they were hitting Boston. blah blah blah...only to find out the show in October sold out weeks ago.

:(

I am so jealous of you right now.
Especially since that show is where I live.
I'm going to cry.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Stephen » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:36 pm

You can still get tickets I bet, but they would cost you anywhere from 80-150 bucks. Maybe even more. The show is at the Orpheum Theater. I have never been there, but I am hoping it is a good place for a concert.

Try

http://www.coasttocoasttickets.com

or

http://www.hallmarktickets.com
Stephen

Postby Tommy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:20 pm

Oh yeah, I know that place.
It's a pretty good place for a concert if you ask me.

You're gonna love it, Steve.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Return to Jam Session