Kanye West

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Kanye West

Postby Jaltus-bot » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:29 pm

I just heard his song Jesus walks and I loved it. Does anyone else like any of his work?

Thanks.
When I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Asdvadz hedut ullah! (W. Armenian, "May God bless you!")

It's cosplay, get used to it.

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him."

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby everdred12a » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:21 pm

I'm not much of a rap fan, but I haven't really disliked any of Kanye's work. He's a talented rap artist, certainly moreso than any other mainstream rap talent out there now, but like much like the rest of the mainstream, not all of his work is clean.

everdred12a

Postby RedMage » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:40 pm

I haven't listened to any of his music and I think he sounds like a jerk personally.
"Intercession is the homework of the Kingdom."
RedMage

Postby Tommy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:24 pm

Jaltus-bot wrote:I just heard his song Jesus walks and I loved it. Does anyone else like any of his work?

Thanks.

Don't take the incorrect assumption he's a Christian rap artist just because he has a song called "Jesus Walks."
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby beau99 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:53 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Don't take the incorrect assumption he's a Christian rap artist just because he has a song called "Jesus Walks."

Correct, though the song was written by Rhymefest, who has had some of his works played on Christian radio and professes to be a Christian himself.
beau99

Postby Tommy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:03 pm

Hmmm....Rhymefest.
I'll keep that name in mind.

You can tell the song "Jesus Walks" is somewhat Christ-Centered especially with a line pertaining to the goal of "turning atheists into believers."

However, songs like "Gold Digger" drown whatever form of positiveness was there out.

Not to be harsh on Kanye West fans.
Tommy

Postby everdred12a » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:58 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:However, songs like "Gold Digger" drown whatever form of positiveness was there out.

Lol, I thought the same thing and almost posted it, but I couldn't think of a good way to put it.

everdred12a

Postby Jaltus-bot » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:10 pm

Wikipedia says that he became a Christian in 2003 or 2004 after recovering from an accident. His song Gold Digger kind of sucks and was redone by Apologetix. I am kind of liking this one song though.

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby Tommy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:45 am

Wikipedia at a time also claimed Kurt Cobain died from spontaneous combustion.

I'm not saying he's not saved, I'm just saying just because Wikipedia says it, that doesn't mean it's true.

Let's not discuss the nature of his faith though, but rather the nature of his "music."
Afterall, remember how the "Minutes to Midnight" thread closed?
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby Jaltus-bot » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:55 am

Tom Dincht wrote:Wikipedia at a time also claimed Kurt Cobain died from spontaneous combustion.

I'm not saying he's not saved, I'm just saying just because Wikipedia says it, that doesn't mean it's true.

Let's not discuss the nature of his faith though, but rather the nature of his "music."
Afterall, remember how the "Minutes to Midnight" thread closed?

I never read the Minutes to Midnight thread, but have you heard any of his music?

Jaltus-bot

Postby Tommy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:31 pm

Kanye?

Yes.
It's decent.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby beau99 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:44 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:
However, songs like "Gold Digger" drown whatever form of positiveness was there out.

Uh, "Gold Digger" talks down against women who only marry rich men for their fortune. I don't like those types of women (most men don't), so I consider it a positive song.
beau99

Postby Tommy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:26 pm

Perhaps I shouldn't have said the song itself, but rather the video for it.

Regardless, that was just one example, as weak as it may be.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby ilikegir33 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:26 pm

Kanye West is awesome. And the true meaning of the song Gold Digger is actually about a guy having to pay 18 years of child support payments after making a model pregnant.

I really like his new song "Stronger". It has a sample of Harder Better Faster Stronger by Daft Punk and the video seems tailor-made for otaku with all those Akira references.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby beau99 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:02 pm

ilikegir33 wrote:
I really like his new song "Stronger". It has a sample of Harder Better Faster Stronger by Daft Punk

It's not a sample.

Daft Punk actually remixed their own vocals and gave a new mix to Kanye.
beau99

Postby everdred12a » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:33 am

beau99 wrote:It's not a sample.

Daft Punk actually remixed their own vocals and gave a new mix to Kanye.

Yeah... the video even has the guys from Daft Punk in it... definitely not a sample.

everdred12a

Postby ilikegir33 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:40 pm

everdred12a wrote:Yeah... the video even has the guys from Daft Punk in it... definitely not a sample.

The video does have the DP guys, and like I said b4, the video's really awesome and has so many anime references.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:36 pm

Heh and Stronger is a catchy tune, but interesting with some of the lines in there like the one right after "I'd do anything for a Klondike". Yeah... If anyone caught it, don't think that song would go onto any Christian stations^^ The chorus is positive though.

Actually, one thing I heard was at one point he used to be a pastor somewhere!
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby HiddenWoodchuck » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:48 pm

I heard a few of his songs before, and it never interested me... I think once I saw him whining somewhere about not winning at some awards show, and that kinda just made me not care to ever listen to anything of his, but that is just me... I don't know a whole lot about secular music anymore... I tend to stay away from most of it these days. I don't think I am missing a whole lot personally.
Per his request, this user has been temporarily banned
HiddenWoodchuck

Postby beau99 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:49 pm

Tenshi no Ai wrote:Heh and Stronger is a catchy tune, but interesting with some of the lines in there like the one right after "I'd do anything for a Klondike". Yeah... If anyone caught it, don't think that song would go onto any Christian stations^^ The chorus is positive though.

Heh. Kanye's known for his wordplay.

Hmm... never heard that one before.
beau99

Postby Nightshade X » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:17 pm

Tenshi no Ai wrote:Heh and Stronger is a catchy tune, but interesting with some of the lines in there like the one right after "I'd do anything for a Klondike". Yeah... If anyone caught it, don't think that song would go onto any Christian stations^^ The chorus is positive though.

Tried listening to the song... and shut it off about 30 seconds into it. Sorry for anyone who may like it, but I don't listen to songs with them four-letter words.

And... about the whole pastor thing... I'm not sure about Kanye, but I know Mase left the hip-hop world to become a pastor... then he came back. Don't know much about what's going on there...
Nightshade X

Postby beau99 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:28 am

Nightshade X wrote:And... about the whole pastor thing... I'm not sure about Kanye, but I know Mase left the hip-hop world to become a pastor... then he came back. Don't know much about what's going on there...

That's also not true. That whole thing regarding Mase was just a ploy invented by P. Diddy in order to boost album sales.
beau99

Return to Jam Session