Changing musical preferences

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Changing musical preferences

Postby Puguni » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:10 pm

I read Shatterheart's thread, and I thought about me and my own musical preferences along the years. Probably the earliest and most definite beginning was the boy band age. I was in elementary school, and I thought N'Sync and Backstreet Boys were aaaawesome. From there, strangely enough, came the Jpop era, where all I listened to was songs from anime shows and other singers, like Do As Infinity. Then my friend told me about this Kpop singer who was big in Japan. She was Boa, and then came the Kpop era.

I was obsessed with Asian music and looked down on American music. Then, I'm not sure when, I was totally into indie music, and got my hand onto anything that claimed indie, like Elliot Smith. I just liked the idea it was obscure.

I'm still kind of like that, but right now it doesn't matter as much to me. Now I kind of look down on Asian music, and my playlist is all English speaking songs, usually upbeat or nostalgic. I'm more open to a lot more music, except for screamo. I guess it'll take a little more to get that. :lol:
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Mave » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:18 pm

I used to obsess over fast beat uptempo pop music, which is typical for some Jpop music such as Two-Mix. All the songs I listened to then ALWAYS had vocals.

Today, I've become more selective in my Jpop choices and have started to listening to more jazz (David Sanborn, John Pizzarelli, Jamie Cullum) and artistes such as Maksim. I also can no longer stand most female singers who have very high pitched voices.

Reading Steve's thread has made me curious about Johnny Cash so who knows, I just might suffer yet another musical preference change. ;)
Mave

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:17 pm

I've had a few preference changes over the years, yeah. XD

Before 7th grade, I didn't really have much preference in music. I didn't listen to it a lot; I guess it just wasn't a main interest of mine or something. Then, my brother (who's always been an influence on me, musically XD) started listening to Creed. I heard them and decided that I liked them, so I started listening to them for a while. Then I started listening to some P.O.D. (mostly "Southtown" and "Satellite", if I'm remembering the names of the albums correctly). There was a little New Found Glory, Don't Look Down, Blink 182, MxPx (who I had heard long before) and Finch (don't ask) sprinkled in there, too. XD

I stayed on that kick for a while, until 9th grade, when I was introduced to The Starting Line, who I still enjoy to this day. After that, I ended up finding out about bands like The Early November (who I also still love to this day, even though they're no longer a band). From there, I discovered lots of other Drive Thru bands (actually, I think this is where Finch came in...), and after that, I was a pretty big fan of music. I ended up being introduced to bands like Mae, Copeland, Brand New, and a boat load of others. XD

My tastes now have kind of grown from there, keeping some of those older tastes, losing others (i.e., I no longer listen to Creed, P.O.D., or Finch), and gaining new tastes either in music style (such as JPop/Rock and KPop) or simply finding another band within a specific genre. It's fun to see how tastes change and grow, though. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby That Dude » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:43 am

I grew up on Brian Duncun, Michael W Smith, Carmen and the likes...And around the later middle-school years grew to love P.O.D, Project 86, MxPx, Audio Adrenaline, and others...Kept Project and MxPx, they are still two of my favorite bands. In my mid highschool years I grew to love hardcore and punk even more and would listen to a lot of Christian punk, hardcore, screamo, industrial...I still love all those genres but now my tastes have mellowed out and though I listen to a lot of hard bands I'll find myself listening to bands such as; Waking Ashland, Godspeed you black emperor!, Copeland, Pigeon John, Aural Vampire. I've come to find that if it's more underground I'll probably like it. Now off to listen to some Joy Electric maybe...
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby RobinSena » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:12 am

When I was around 8-11 I loved Jump5, a fact that I am disgusted and ashamed of to this day, then I started getting really into Audio Adrenaline(hence the name) then about 2 years ago my tastes shifted towards much harder music.. Currently my main preferences are Metal/Hardcore/Screamo..
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby Hitokiri » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:21 am

Newsboys, Rebecca St. James, and Switchfoot somewhere switched along the way to Summoning, Draconian, and Eluvetie. Christian pop to gothic and black metal. Somewhere I had a huge shift haha. I think it started when I got into Blindside and Eastwest.

Anyways, I am usually ok with music. However, I tune out of emo music. I would proably like it because it's catchy in some parts but I prefer other bands more so. I used not like J-pop as much until I really opened up to it a year and half ago when I took a hiatus from heavy metal.
Hitokiri

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:36 am

When I was a child, I listened to alot of country music. Today, I really can't stand it. I listen to orchestral, opera, J-pop, meditation, and 80's.....
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby righteous_slave » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:22 pm

That's really funny, because the older I get, the more country music I seem to like. Coming from an old metal head, that's really scary.

I move through lots of phases, listening to a lot of metal, black metal, punk, hardcore, metalcore, pop, bubblegum, techno, country, classic rock, adding new stuff here and there. The list grows, things move up and down it, but nothing really gets eliminated.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Return to Jam Session