Help w/ Violin/cello music

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Help w/ Violin/cello music

Postby Pix4204 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:47 pm

I've recently gotten into classical music that has violin/cello music in it. I want to buy a cd with violin/cello as the main aspect of it but I have no idea where to start or what to buy (there's soooooo many......) ANy ideas????
" I will love Thee, O Lord, my strength."
-Psalms 18:1

"The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: He shall preserve thy soul. The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth and even for evermore." -Psalms 121:7-8

"We are the Knights who say NI!!!!" :rock:
-Monty Python: Search for The Holy Grail
Pix4204

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:46 pm

Oh man, I feel bad that I can't come up with any good suggestions, seeing that I'm supposedly a cellist myself...
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:55 pm

There's a collection of CDs with classical works that focus on one instrument (e.g. The Piano, The Cello, The Trumpet, etc.). My aunt has a whole bunch of them. I'm not sure of the company. I'll put up a link if I find 'em.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:16 pm

Um, maybe you could try some of Yo-Yo Ma's work.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:22 pm

I almost said that myself, but Yo Yo Ma's kind of done a LOT over the years. Where does one start?
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Tancos » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:45 am

There's so much violin music that it's difficult to pick a just few pieces to recommend. Pick a composer, any composer: the chances are that he wrote violin sonatas and concertos, and string quartets as well. Beethoven's violin concerto is as good a place to start as any.

For cello music, you might start looking here.
Tancos

Postby Kaori » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:41 pm

There are basically two ways to go about looking for this type of music. One is to try searching for recordings of specific violin and cello performers. Since I'm not a string player, the only big names I know are Joshua Bell and Hilary Hahn (both well-known violinists) and Yo-Yo Ma.

The other way is to look under composers' names for specific pieces. Do you have any idea what sort of violin or cello music you would like, as in whether you would like sonatas and concertos (a soloist with accompaniment), chamber music (a small number of musicians), or pieces for larger string ensembles? The amount of music written for string instruments is really vast, so I'll just list some pieces and composers that I enjoy.

concertos:
Tchaikovsky violin concerto
Vivaldi Four Seasons (violin)
Elgar cello concerto

pieces by J.S. Bach:
Partita no. 2 in D minor (solo violin)
Concerto BWV 1043 (for two violins)
Bach also wrote three concertos for solo violin; I haven't heard these myself, but pretty much anything by Bach is good.

chamber music:
Mendelssohn octet
Dvorak dumky trio (piano, violin, and cello)
Mendelssohn piano trio (piano, violin, cello)
Biber trio partitas (he wrote seven of these, as well as his Mystery and Rosary sonatas, which are more well known).

large ensemble:
Britten Adagio for Strings
Dvorak serenade for strings (E Major, op. 22)
Tchaikovsky serenade for strings (C Major, op. 48)
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Pix4204 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:07 pm

THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!! ^_^ I'll check some of them out!!!!
" I will love Thee, O Lord, my strength."
-Psalms 18:1

"The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: He shall preserve thy soul. The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth and even for evermore." -Psalms 121:7-8

"We are the Knights who say NI!!!!" :rock:
-Monty Python: Search for The Holy Grail
Pix4204

Return to Jam Session