type of music

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

type of music

Postby funnyvalentine » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:07 am

hey i'm pretty new here and i'm just wondering what type of music christian otakus like myself are into.
[you say my God is dead...have you looked in the mirror lately, dead man?]
funnyvalentine

Postby andyroo » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:24 am

I like J-pop/anime music alot and whatever genre They Might Be Giants is in. ^_^
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:35 am

Well, basically any form of soundtrack from my fav animes. I like some stuff from Cowboy Bebop, and although I'm not a huge Gundam Wing fan - I really enjoy the songs from it. Any song from Iria. If it's in Japanese, I try to get English lyrics, just to make sure I'm not singing along to something completely horrible. Other than anime, I like many forms of music - mainly Celtic, techno, happy hardcore, and old showtunes. My favorite Christian artists are Rebecca St James, Benjamin Gate, Skillet, and I just found a new band that I love - Strange Occurrence.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Anison Twilight » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:38 am

Originally posted by andyroo
I like J-pop/anime music alot and whatever genre They Might Be Giants is in. ^_^

I've got a Rurouni Kenshin music video to the song Particle Man...It's hilarious...
Anison Twilight

Postby Technomancer » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:59 am

Particle Man, Particle Man...

My own tastes are pretty eclectic, but mainly involve Classical, Folk (esp. Canadian, Celtic and Scandanavian) and some Rock. I enjoy a lot of other stuff too of course. As far as Christian music goes, I generally prefer stuff like Palestrina, or other medieval/renaissance church stuff.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:10 am

i mostly favour techno these days.

actually, anything that's computer generated such as Midi is a true techno :P

when techno goes faster with beats, it turns into trance... which i don't mind :)
LorentzForce

Postby funnyvalentine » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:27 pm

i'm not really into anime soundtracks...except cowboy bebop i love the soundtrack to that...
The only j-pop band i like(i dont even think they'd be considered j-pop) is electric eel shock. Anyone heard of them?
As far as other music i listen to a wide variety.
80's, rocknroll, anything undergroud(hxc, indie, punk, emo), grunge, some mainstream stuff like evanescence, coldplay, rancid, and the distillers, lots of classic rock, and i have a weird fetish for horror punk/rocknroll, especially christian bands...
[you say my God is dead...have you looked in the mirror lately, dead man?]
funnyvalentine

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:28 pm

I like a looooot of stuff. Although I listen to rock the most. :D But I also like some techno, and uhhhhhh...ska...dangit my mind is going blank -___-; Um, movie scores/soundtracks (Howard Shore and John Williams are -geniuses-!)...oh, an' don't forget J-ROCK :D Whee!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Spencer » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:33 pm

As far as movie soundtracks go, I like Danny Elfman.

But for the everyday music, I guess it would be considered Alternative Rock. Linkin Park, The Foo Fighters, Oasis, Vertical Horizon.

It's all good.
:)
Spencer

Postby Lightbringer » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:42 pm

I like :rock: METAL!!:rock: new, or old school, dont care, i want something with distortion and double bass peddles. I also like alot of good acoustic work, and some techno though i do like the heavier electronica stuff more. um .......

examples of music loved by Aaron . Mortification , Disciple , Tourniquet , Soul Embraced , Skillet , Wyrick , Circle of Dust, Pillar, Between theives, Tragedy Anne, Third Day, These 5 down, Pax 217, and Dogwood.

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Shinja » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:24 pm

hmm, im a big yoko kanno fan, i have most of all her songs anime or not. i love old jazz, swing, rock, rockabilly, folk, blues, pop(big u2 fan), punk. basicly everything but rap/hiphop. though i do love the song "shadow of def"

oh yeah oddly enough i have gotten into techno for some reason
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Ashley » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:29 pm

Newsboys and Lifehouse top my charts, although not far behind is Skillet, Rebecca St. James, Phil Joel and the like...hmm what else. I like Celtic music too..must be the scotch blood..and instrumental music as well; especially classical. Anything by Tchaikovsky I am sure to love. I'm willing to give almost anything a listen, I'm not too picky. Although Linkin Park is about as far as my tolerance for heavy, loud, metal stuff goes. Evanescence is pretty good too, but I have to be in that melancholy sort of mood to really enjoy it. Even a little techno isn't too bad.
What I don't like is easy: country, hard rock, metal, rap and most jazz stuff. Sorry fellas, sounds too much like elevator music to me. As far as J-pop is concerned...meh, I liked a lot of Two-Mix songs, but that's about it.
Ashley

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:39 pm

I forgot to mention that I'm a big fan of the Cowboy Bebop soundtracks. ^_^ Gooooood stuff. I especially love the jazzy Seatbelts stuff, so the first album is me favorite. :]
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Technomancer » Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:26 pm

Bebop's cool, I think I like Mai Yamane's songs best though. Esp. "Knock a Little Harder"
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Average Joe » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:14 pm

right now i'm into Thousand Foot Crutch, Demon Hunter, Ill Harmonics, Creed, Metallica, and Linkin Park. I also like Classical and Techno. But I can NOT stand Country or mainstream Rap. :mutter:
Average Joe

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:27 pm

I don't know if I'd call him a demon. Another rocker masking his lack of talent and creativity with empty shock and a stage persona resembling a reject from the Muppet Show perhaps, but nothing particularly demonic or even terribly original.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby _bluerose_ » Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:27 pm

I only listen to christian music...for the most part. I like all types of music from alternative to classical to jazz and rap. I don't care what type of music it is, I can get my groove on to anything! :dance: Anyhows, some of my favorites include Jars of Clay, Rebecca St. James, Zoegirl and Third Day.

I think Third Day has evolved into being my favorite band. I love everything they do and Mac Powell is my role model (cuz I want to write great lyrics like him!). Are there any Gomers on here? Third Day fans!? :rock:
~Rose

Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isa. 40:30,31
_bluerose_

Postby express » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:56 pm

As for me, I was a House DJ for a long time, but I stopped liking it when I was saved (especially Chicago House - with all the sexual themes and everything). Now I'm into Trance, and Christian Hip-Hop (Timothy Brindle, Lightheaded, etc.). As for Hip-Hop, it has to have a head-nodding, acoustic drum beat with funk samples in it or some other cool music sample in it (like an orchestra). I absolutely hate mainstream rap today. The beats are all soooooo weak and synthesized and the rhyming is so weak and self-centered. Pretty much all rap on MTV and the radio sucks to me. In my opinion, Hip-Hop started to suck after '95 or '96.

I also like anime soundtracks, but the only ones I own are Ranma ones (I got those when I was about 10 years old). The rest are downloaded. I'm also into Jungle/DnB, but I don't know much about that as much as I do about Trance and Hip-Hop.

I also make my own music on my PC with software. (Read the "Trigun Trance Track" thread in the General forum)
express

Postby Straylight » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:39 pm

I'm a total drum+bass head myself. I visit the record shop for my regular dose of tunage. I'm a DJ too, I was introduced to it via some Christians, so I've been doing it with the intent of glorifying God :p

For DnB, some good stuff to check out is:

Dillinja
Roni Size
Total Science
Tech Itch
Kamanchi
Krust
RAM Trilogy
LTJ Bukem

Those artists represent my main music taste, really dirty gritty hard nasty sounding electronica (with the exception of Bukem)

As far as other stuff goes, I'll listen to anything really, so long as it isn't cheese. Also overly mainstream music really doesn't agree with me, stuff like Britney, Nsync etc... makes me want to jump off a bridge. And from the very little country music I heard before I rushed to the bathroom to puke up, I'd say I'm not into that either ;)

it's cool to see another music producer too :)
check this tune I made http://www.christiananime.net/test/noz/deepframe.mp3 (right click>save as)
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:35 pm

Originally posted by funnyvalentine
As far as other music i listen to a wide variety.
80's, rocknroll, anything undergroud(hxc, indie, punk, emo), grunge, some mainstream stuff like evanescence, coldplay, rancid, and the distillers, lots of classic rock, and i have a weird fetish for horror punk/rocknroll, especially christian bands...

I listen to pretty much the stuff Lightbringer listens to, but I love j-pop, j-rock, and lots of drum and bass and techo stuff.

I listen to linkin park and evanescence sometimes, but feel convicted because they have such a dark and gothic feel to them.

I would love to hear a Christian band with Evanescence type sound.. they really rock! :rock:

** I suggest trying different searches in the live 365 radio categories for types of Christian music and you will hear the groups we have mentioned. :thumb:
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby Lightbringer » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:38 pm

I could be wrong, but i thought that they said they are not. Maby sombodys got more info?

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Lightbringer

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:42 pm

They definately aren't Christian, but I think the lead singer might have been at one time.. they sing of giving back to them the salvation that was lost like it is owed them, and some of the lyrics say that they wish for death or leaving this world in a morbid manner, so i think if they have Christian backjgrounds it is a lost view or maybe they gave up... the sound is really impressive though.
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:49 pm

evanescence bio:
Influenced by a wide-ranging collection of artists such as Bjork, Danny Elfman and Tori Amos
* these are VERY liberal bands

Tourniquet is a song that directly says that jesus is their tourniquet. ( do i have to describe what a tourniquet does?)

Lyrically, Evanescence explores dark, introspective themes of love, desperation, and despair.

I just think it is important to research, because I think they are comfused.
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby Ashley » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:57 pm

I've listened to a lot of Evanescence myself, and done a bit of research on them. From what I remember, they arent' officially a Christian band...more like Creed and Lifehouse; their music can have Christian undertones, but save Tourniquet (which is a cover of a song done by Disciple I think; is that right Aaron?) they never outright mention Jesus' name.

Personally, I don't think it's that much of a problem that they aren't Christian; their lyrics are ones that while sometimes dark, are good for a melancholy moods, and their sound is very, very enjoyable. But that's just me.

Oh, and Ebd1...a tourniquet is the stretchy rubber band thing nurses use to stop the blood flow. They usually tie them around your arm before you get a shot.
Ashley

just a sample...

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:26 pm

You be the judge....
the purpose of a tourniquet is to stop the flow of blood and the end result is usually the loss of the damaged limb. to call God a tourniquet means he has stopped her flow of life and she wants it back.

"Tourniquet"

i tried to kill the pain
but only brought more
i lay dying
and i'm pouring crimson regret and betrayal
i'm dying praying bleeding and screaming
am i too lost to be saved
am i too lost?

my God my tourniquet
return to me salvation
my God my tourniquet
return to me salvation

do you remember me
lost for so long
will you be on the other side
or will you forget me
i'm dying praying bleeding and screaming
am i too lost to be saved
am i too lost?

my God my tourniquet
return to me salvation
my God my tourniquet
return to me salvation

my wounds cry for the grave
my soul cries for deliverance
will i be denied Christ
tourniquet
my suicide
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby Lightbringer » Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:16 pm

Actually it was Soul Embraced that originally did My Tourniquet. Has anybody ever heard the original? I think some of the problem may stem from the way evenescence did the song, as people may or may not know, alot of hardcore heavy metal isn't sung in normal lines, things sometimes dont look right on paper. Anyway, their not asking for something thats owed them , its more on the lines of , what i did was spiritual suiside, the touriquet dosn't kill people it keeps them alive by resticting blood flow especially after somebody looses a limb.

edited* anyway you only use a tourniquet in a life or death situation, you either use it or you die. my opinion is somebodys gonna kick, they need Jesus to keep them alive.

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Lightbringer

Postby _bluerose_ » Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:00 am

:shake: *sigh* groups that don't openly state they are christian........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ :rant:
~Rose

Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isa. 40:30,31
_bluerose_

Postby HeavensTek » Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:58 am

I mainly listen to (and mix) progressive and tech house....

sometimes a bit of deep trance or breaks...

very dark stuff, lots of pulsy bass and airy synths....

here's a live set of mine i did last year for http://Trancedomain.com

(if the link still works that is)

http://www.webclubbing.com/global/music.asp?svr=pnm://216.36.116.98&dir=trancedomain&song=stevechristopher.wma&ID=941

=)
HeavensTek

It's all about 4:33 by John Cage! Just kidding!

Postby Erenan » Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:18 pm

Short answer, which is perhaps not entirely accurate, but suffices for the most part: I like music that sounds good.

Slightly longer answer, perhaps the most effective in terms of the successful communication of ideas: I like progressive rock, heavy metal, some alternative rock, some classic rock, classical music of every era, avant-rock, avant-garde, and jazz.

My best attempt at devising an adequate answer to describe my taste in music: I like progressive music, music that changes dramatically often, music that makes excellent use of irregular time signatures, music of which the primary purpose is to create a work of elevated artistry, innovative music that many people would not immediately recognize as music, unique music that makes the listener stop and say, "Wow! I've never heard anything like this before," music that refuses to conform to the ideals of the ignorant regarding how things must be done, and jazz.
Seven Taco Button

"'The rhodes and honkies are not effective!' Cried one of the angry women, 'Prepare the twelve foot grand!'"

Erenan, Guitar Robot and Progressive Avant-Rock Jazz Metalhead Extraordinaire
Erenan

Postby Retten » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:06 pm

lets see i am into techno,(cant find any good songs recently though) rock, classical, and jpop/anime

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Next

Return to Jam Session