What is Jrock/Jpop?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

What is Jrock/Jpop?

Postby redefineym » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:07 pm

Yeah, I know its a stupid question.. :hits_self but I see many people talking about it and I have no idea what it is. Anyone care to clarify this for me? Thanks
My Xanga

My Art

"I'd rather look like a freak and save my brains than..... not"

hehe... a quote from one horsewoman to another.

redefineym

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:29 pm

^_^ Jpop and Jrock is short for "Japanese Pop' and "Japanese Rock". Basically it's pop and rock music from Japan. A lot of anime has it in it, as well as video games.
[url=l33tbeat.blogspot.com]l33t beat[/url] -- News, reviews and opinions on anime, video games, and fantasy fiction
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:00 am

Jpop and Jrock is short for "Japanese Pop' and "Japanese Rock". Basically it's pop and rock music from Japan.

Well, that might be debatable. Most of the time I hear anime fans talk about "J-Rock," they're talking about either very pop oriented bands or visual kei (glam/goth/hair metal/and so on). I don't think I've ever heard anyone other than myself refer to punk bands like Guitar Wolf or retro-rock bands like Thee 50's High Teens as J-Rock (heck, not even Shonen Knife!)

Then again, doesn't really say anything about the deffinition of J-Rock, just what the people who invented the term usually listen to (most of the people who listen to Guitar Wolf or Thee 50's High Teen or so forth aren't the sort to use that kind of slang, I guess)
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Return to Jam Session