Calling all guitar experts!

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Calling all guitar experts!

Postby Kat Walker » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:41 am

I need your help!

I don't play guitar or know much about the instrument, so I need some expert advice on what type you think a proficient player would enjoy. I'm hoping to get him either a bday/Christmas gift (both are in December ^^; )

Anyway, here's some possible pertinent information/questions:

-- He plays acoustic guitar. As far as I know, he's not much of a heavy metal kind of guy. He plays at church all the time too.

-- He owns a guitar already, kind of an average type with nylon strings, I believe. Very old. Do you think steel strings would be a better choice? Which sounds better? Which is higher quality?

-- Classical guitar, Folk guitar, or Jazz guitar? I know he's a big jazz fan, but Im not sure if there's a significant enough of a difference between a Jazz guitar and other types. Anyone know?

-- My budget is probably 300 or so....Ill use every penny I can but that is the bare minimum. Anyone know of any wholesale/outlet instrument stores or good deals online? How's e-bay?

-- In the event that I can't get him an actual guitar, what kind of accessories/repair kits/tuning stuff and whatnot are really good for a serious guitar player? Something that he'd really appreciate. Any and all comments are apreciated for this one, because at the moment it seems like my best choice. ^^;;;;;;

Anyway, thanks for reading guys, and any and all advice/ideas/help/comments/or resources would be highly highly appreciated!
Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.

Colossians 3:14

~ my personal website ~
Kat Walker

Return to Jam Session