Original Musical Compositions!!!

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Original Musical Compositions!!!

Postby Linksquest » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:47 pm

Hey guys! I love creating my own original Music compositions!!! YAYA! haha... i am a composer that can't stop. I was wondering if there are any other CAA members who are musical composers? You can hear some of my original songs at http://www.geocities.com/soaringcastle/music

If any of you guys have written music... I WANT TO HEAR IT!!! ;)

All the songs on my site are in MIDI form, and were played, arranged, and/or written by me... some of them are re-arrangments and/or re-mixes... but each of them are labeled accordingly!

Any comments and or constructive criticism is welcome!!!
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Ducky » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:10 pm

It's pretty! So relaxing. (I've only listened to the first two ... if I find anything to criticize in a constructive manner I'll come back and add it later)
Ducky

Postby Linksquest » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:39 pm

thanks!!! hehehehe... some of them are slow, and some of them are fast lol. Personally i like to make the slower ones more, because i love great orchestrated works, some movie scores, and a lot of celtic music!
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.

Linksquest

Postby blue whisper » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:46 pm

I listened to all of the songs up to "Nirriel." I think they sounded beautiful and were composed very well. Keep on composing!

However, in "Childhood Memories" it seems as if every note is played a half of a beat or so late. Additionally, it would add a nice touch if more dynamics were added.

In summary, your music was very peaceful and relaxing. I would have to say "Nirriel" was my favorite of the ones I listened to. I liked the style and the tempo changes added a nice affect. You certainly have a talent for composing!

.:: Romans 8:28 ::.
ImageImage
blue whisper

Postby Stephen » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:21 pm

Moved to music area.
Stephen

Postby JediSonic » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:49 pm

hey linksguest, I sat here listening to "zelda's woe" like forever, not realising it was on an infinite loop :lol: :forehead:

If you'd like a bit of critique, I'd say you should learn how to implement percussion in your songs better. I doesnt sound like you have much interest in using percussion right now anyway, but when I heard "good day" it reminded me of some of my earlier works, when I didnt have any real experience writing percussion parts and had to play around with it a bit to figure out how to make it fit in. That is to say, it was creative use of percussion but sounded kinda inconsistent and it's one of those cases where too much variety is sometimes a bad thing.. I've found that practice makes perfect although most of us dont have the time to get that far!

And now for a run-through of some other songs as I listen to them..

I liked nirriel a lot except for some abruptly ending notes (yeah I know its MIDI's fault but still a bit of a problem). I also liked Ocean Voyage; I've never really tried to do anything with the piano, and what I do has never come out sounding as sweet and smooth as what you did there :) Moving right along.. some parts of lost&found were cool - the eighth note chords got a bit repetitive, but then the song is a lot longer than anything I conjure up! oooh.. "goodbye" sounds lovely! very nice work there. Hmm.. 'elements of nature' and 'god made everything' didnt load correctly for me; I cant hear them. Nalim's good.. I didnt stick around very long with the 'mystery song' because I knew it would soon be stuck in my head lol Its mostly the quality issues that bugs me.. maybe you should invest in some better composition software. I'm using Cakewalk Music Creator because it was cheap at $40 but I cant really recommend it since it crashes my computer a ton.

I dont have as much of a musical portfolio as link's guest does, but if you'd like to hear a remix I did, go here: http://www.geocities.com/codeiscool/music/ :) You can also click on click on the link at the bottom of that page to download 2MB worth of my older stuff. If you want, you can listen to them and tell me if you actually like any of them :lol: I suggest listening to the ones labeled 'metal' or 'techno'.

My music-writing software is kinda buggy since it freakin CRASHES my computer at random times so I have to save a lot and have patience when writing music! That combined with a perceived lack of skill and lack of free time has contributed to my not writing much music lately :( Of course, the crashing is probably my computer's (which is getting on in years) fault.
JediSonic

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:29 pm

You've got some pretty tunes there! :thumb: I've made mostly arrangements, but I've done some original compositions as well...

1. Go to my site, The BASIC FAQs (also in my signature).

2. Go to the Melodies of Heaven page.

3. Praise the Lord and enjoy. ^_^

(By the way, if you decide to brave listening to me sing, start with Gladly He Will Cheer Your Heart. Don't start with the Anime Angels Lullaby; that's the worst singing job I've ever done. *shudders* )
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby JediSonic » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:35 am

I dont have time to listen to all your stuff before school, melody maker (and I've already heard some of your vocals) but i like "flying dreams" remix a lot! Its very nicely orchestrated :) AA upbeat is good too! I'll probably come back to look at more later.

I'm not a vocals peson really; I dont write em, I dont sing em (outside of church), I mostly listen to ocremix music more than anything too so I certainly cant critique those songs :lol:
JediSonic

Postby Saint Kevin » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:12 pm

I'd LIKE to be a composer, but truth be told, I really don't have the talent for it yet when it comes to playing the piano/keyboard. I'm trying to learn, but it's pretty slow going. As for the actual composition, I really can't do that until I snag a midi keyboard from somewhere, since my school closed the labs that I used last year to do stuff with the midi keyboards.

Anybody have any links that could be helpful, it'd be cool if you posted em here. I found musictheory.net to have a little in the way of basic theory that was helpful, in addition to note and ear trainers. Other than that though, I don't really know of any sites that might help.

Nice to see some of you taking an interest in this too. I don't have the time to listen to your stuff now guys, but I'll make it a point to.
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby JediSonic » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:46 pm

Saint Kevin, I recomend taking a look at Finale Notepad, which is a free download from codamusic.com! When I started writing music I used that, which (I think) doesnt even support a MIDI instrument, much less require it! Its not great software, but if you dont have a keyboard its a place to start :thumb:
JediSonic

Postby Linksquest » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:56 pm

Thanks for the input guys... Yeah, i know that some of the songs have chord problems!!! HAHAHAHah... Chord delays are always problematic! I record mostly all of my music live, and then will go back and edit it on Cakewalk blah blah 2003... i forget the full title. At school we are using Cakewalk's newest program: Cakewalk Homestudio 2004. IT IS AWSOME! JediSonic... you might want to get that... maybe the newer version wouldn't make your comp crash as much?

My school was the actual first school in america to have a Music Technology course!!! I know, hard to believe, but true. Yamaha was the sponser. Right now we have Music Tech I, II, and III... right now i am in II. A lot of the stuff on my site comes from that class, as assignments! Thats where the funkified percussion is coming from!!! Yeah, JediSonic, you're right, i dont really like putting percussion into my songs, one, because my style is usually the melodic and orchestrated music, and two, because the instruments in the percussion category for MIDIs are usally terrible!!!!!

I put some more songs on, today, and i also update it weekly with stuff i write in my music tech II class... so keep on coming back and critiqueing!!!
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

Linksquest

Postby Linksquest » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:10 pm

ok, updated the site with 6 more songs, my server cant play MIDI files like, OL, so i have to download them all!!!!! gah! I need to get the plugging but then when i click, "get the pluggin" it says, "pluggin not available" ..................... ya... its weird.... so i cant even hear the music on my own site!!! HOW... WRONG! hahahaha
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

Linksquest

Postby Madeline » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:26 pm

I'm not much of a MIDI person. -_-
My dad has played a huge part in that...he composes music and does sound effects for Madden and NCAA.
So yeah...I doubt he would let me post my songs on the internet anyway. ._.
But I do write my own songs...unfortunately I have yet to find a way to share them without ripping myself off or lowering the quality. :P I have an issue with timing too...I can't find my metronome. :sweat:
Meep.
Madeline

Postby ice122985 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:25 pm

i have a brother who composes music, yet refuses to write them down. Besides beating the tunes out of his veins unto paper, do you know of a program to write the notes down. NOt necesarrily record the music, just sort of like sheet music. appreciate it if you guys could help.
undefined

Before honor is humility
ice122985

Postby JediSonic » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:51 pm

please see my last post, ice :thumb:
JediSonic

Postby shooraijin » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:35 pm

> .he composes music and does sound effects for Madden and NCAA.

That's cool, Madeline! Does he work for EA?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby JediSonic » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:57 pm

That would be so awesome 0_0
JediSonic

Postby Linksquest » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:15 am

hahaha... also Cakewalk homestudio 2004 not only records your music, but also automatically puts it into sheet music! n_n. I dont really like MIDIs either Madeline... but sometimes its the only choice you have! Would i rather be recording my music live with real intruments? of course! But that technolgoy is not available to me right noe... so i must use the MIDI powers that i have.... Thats cool about your dad. Does he use his talents for God??? liiike, does he ever consdider doing stuff for focus on the fam or other christian orgs?
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

Linksquest

Return to Jam Session