Christian Artists avoiding romantic lyrics?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Christian Artists avoiding romantic lyrics?

Postby Iona » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:14 pm

Why is it Christian artists seem reluctant to write love songs? The formula seems to be that they write one that could be a love song and then turn it into a worship song by inserting God's name in. I can't understand why they refuse to tap into the biggest seller in the secular world of music. I will admit that some artists have written on it, but the majority haven't. Why? Love in the biggest force on the earth and it isn't a sin, so why?
"I am Kagura!"

Iona

Postby shooraijin » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:14 pm

Oh, I don't know; for example, there was that Michael W. Smith song "I will be here for you" (admittedly such songs *are* somewhat anomalous, but they're out there).
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby SManBeyond » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:45 am

I think my sister is right. True love songs in the Christian music industry are scarce because artists aren't writing / making them. The only artist I can think of that writes love songs is Michael W. Smith...

I personally think that there are too many songs about love in the secular world, but I wouldn't mind hearing them in the Christian industry as long as they weren't excessive in number.

Oh, and my favorite Christian love song is "In My Arms Again" by Michael W. Smith.
"Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is no virtue at all." G. K. Chesterton

Founder of S.T.R.A.W.B.E.R.R.Y. R.H.U.B.A.R.B. P.I.E.

[url=smanbeyond.blogspot.com]My Blog[/url]
SManBeyond

Postby Benu » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:18 am

I think it's because there writing christian music not secular music. My mom has fought with me over the christian rock that I listen too because she says they haven't said one word about God or Jesus in the whole song. How is this chiristian music. My mom asks me who are they singing about? My mom only likes gosple though and alot of gosple songs don't have the word God or Jesus either.

I told her about that and she said well it's beacause I know there singing about Jesus. :forehead: It could be that people will just start considering the Artist secular and not christian. That's why they choose to not write those kind of songs unless they can make it a "christian" love song.
"We join the "Christian" club and separate ourselves from the world, and the world still sits on the outside, dying for someone to demonstrate what it means to believe." - Matthew Paul Turner
Benu

Postby Master Kenzo » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:34 am

Rebecca St. James did a love song once, I think. It was "Wait for Me" ... and yeah, now that you mention it, I really do notice how few Christian songs are love songs.
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby Iona » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:11 pm

Yes, Michael W. Smith has around half a dozen love songs. Rebecca St. James has one, unless her more recent cds had some...didn't see any though.
Just because we're Christian, doesn't mean we don't feel emotions, especially love. I personally would like to see some more good Christian love songs. Until then, I suppose I will have to be satisfied listening to clean secular love songs...
"I am Kagura!"

Iona

Postby glitch1501 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:43 am

i like wait for my by rebecca st. james, and first love song by across the sky

i guess the reason they dont sing that many love songs about people is because Christs love for us has no bounds, and our love for him should be the most important thing in our lives, even before a spouse i would say.

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby ClosetOtaku » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:46 am

I don't know about Christian artists, but I know a few fans who tell me if the word "Jesus" or "God" or somesuch isn't in every song on the album, it's not Christian and they won't buy it....

Fortunately, I didn't listen to them, and my favorite Christian artists are some that don't have His name in all the lyrics. Some love songs I can think of include Rich Mullins' "The River" (yes, I think it's a love song!) and "Wounds of Love" and Sara Groves' "Fly".

But maybe that's why Christian artists are a little skittish about being labeled "not as Christian as...". I hope they don't listen as much to the fans as they do to their own hearts, and they throw the occasional love song in...
ClosetOtaku

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:07 am

I will say this: I know people who are disgusted when Christian artists have songs that are no more than romantic lyrics.

While I do not necessarily agree with them, I can see their rationale. If it is simply romantic, what makes it Christian? And if there is a clean song by a secular group, what makes that unchristian?
uc pseudonym

Postby ClosetOtaku » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:42 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:While I do not necessarily agree with them, I can see their rationale. If it is simply romantic, what makes it Christian? And if there is a clean song by a secular group, what makes that unchristian?

We're humans. We like to categorize and segregate. God calls us to holiness, and we immediately think "well, this is holy and this isn't"... which is not necessarily bad, but we don't always know where to stop.

So, we call our artists "Christian" and "Secular", and the difference is the Jesus factor. Given that Christian artists will sing about "Lord" and "God" and such, and you rarely hear secular artists do so, it makes an easy target for division.

And we have Paul weighing in, "Whatever is pure, whatever is noble...", so we have added incentive to ditch some of the more secular artists (who aren't so pure and noble in their lyrics, on the whole) in favor of the Christian artists (whose music is pure, noble, and frequently dull). OK, I'm editorializing... but you get the picture.

Many Christians (myself included) don't know where the dividing line is, whether it's "safe" or "profitable" to listen to secular music (I do, but a times I wonder if I should), but also find Christian music a little derivative (with the exception of a handful of artists).

So, then, have we winnowed down the field of Christian talent and expression because we're afraid the tail ends of that Bell Curve lead to secular music Hell?
ClosetOtaku

Postby Renoa » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:57 pm

Steven Curtis Chapman did a song called "All About Love", Plumb has the songs "Hold Me", "Taken", and "Without You". Any Chrisitan songs that praise Jesus and express a passion for Him, in my opinion, are intimate and express love.

Honk if your know where Grobania is!!
Renoa

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:06 am

ClosetOtaku wrote:We're humans. We like to categorize and segregate. God calls us to holiness, and we immediately think "well, this is holy and this isn't"... which is not necessarily bad, but we don't always know where to stop.

True this may be, but my post was more questioning the basis of the reasoning, not the rationale behind it.

Meanwhile, I have very little to say about the actual topic, save that it seems there are reasonable scatterings of love songs, as presented here.
uc pseudonym

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:43 am

Christian artists are avoiding romantic lyrics because if they right about anyhting other than songs about Jesus, the christian radio stations will drop thier airplay and call them evil because they tried to express themselves.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby glitch1501 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:43 pm

PumpkinKoRn52 wrote:Christian artists are avoiding romantic lyrics because if they right about anyhting other than songs about Jesus, the christian radio stations will drop thier airplay and call them evil because they tried to express themselves.

not true at all, the christian radio stations around where i live plays some christian music that doesnt speak about jesus,
for example

letters from war by mark schultz

and it plays alot more during the teen's radio section at night
some of the rock groups dont sing about jesus all the time

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Passion - Kutless
glitch1501

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:48 pm

Christian artists are avoiding romantic lyrics because if they right about anyhting other than songs about Jesus, or songs that don't show any real thing but happy go lucky feelings that usually relate to Jesus, or things approved by Chriatian radio stations, the christian radio stations will drop thier airplay and call them evil because they tried to express themselves.
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:02 pm

Plus One did a song about girls (I heard it at the last Spirit West Coast that I attended) that might count in this category
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby glitch1501 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:34 pm

PumpkinKoRn52 wrote:Christian artists are avoiding romantic lyrics because if they right about anyhting other than songs about Jesus, or songs that don't show any real thing but happy go lucky feelings that usually relate to Jesus, or things approved by Chriatian radio stations, the christian radio stations will drop thier airplay and call them evil because they tried to express themselves.

you seem very angry towards christian radio?
i have never heard of any christian author being called evil...ever

Glitch's Photostream

Passion - Kutless
glitch1501

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:43 am

glitch1501 wrote:you seem very angry towards christian radio?
i have never heard of any christian author being called evil...ever

Sadly, I have. Not necessarily on Christian radio, but by Christian organizations.

I agree that PumpkinKoRn52 seems somewhat angry against Christian radio. I will admit that I do find the nearly uniform right-wing bent of it somewhat irksome. But perhaps we should not broach that topic here.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:01 am

SCC did WAY more than those. Those are only the recent one's. And some of us christian artists DO have lots of love songs, but that's not why most people buy CDs. They want "all sprititual" stuff. I think I'll keep my opinions on this one to myself, as they might get misconstrued. Suffice to say that my love songs have affected their target audience greatly. ;)
Mithrandir

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:30 pm

A mod agrees with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyways, around where I live, the middle of nowhere, the christian radio stations have dropped airplay of christian artists because of one love song. I hate most christina radio stations because every song is monotonous and redundant, and all pop, light rock( which I consider an insult to rock genres everywhere. Couldn't they think of a different name, like light crap music?), and finally, more pop. They won't ply any rock or metal or anything of that sort. I once heard a christian radio dj call P.O.D. satanic because of their tattos and dreadlocks, and all rock music evil because of the style. That is were a lot of my anger comes from toward christian radio. My hold youth pastor repeatedly bashes rock calling it evil, yet he listens to rap such as 50 cent and Ja Rule.
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby Stephen » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:52 pm

CCM in general=Show Me the Money. I could say more...but I really wont since I have gotten dragged into way too many debates before. I agree with UC that there have been a few bands listed that did love songs. I know LaRue has a few as well.
Stephen

Postby Hikage_Ninja » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:14 pm

I know a lot of Christian bands that do love songs. Mae, Watashi Wa, Anberlin, Sick of Change, The Violet Burning, Vroom, Bleach, Calibretto, Further Seems Forever, Slick Shoes, and Copeland. Copeland isn't a "Christian" band per say, but all the band members are Christian. I'm sure there are many others out there as well... Oh and you can count Relient K too...if you consider Sadie Hawkin's Dance...a love song...in like...a really obscure way. O.o And MxPx has one or so too, I think...
...And I'm just tired enough...if I close my eyes, I could sleep for days... -Alkaline Trio

He's Bear, he's Bear. He's made of human hair. Poke his NOSE and his head GROWS! He's Bear, He's Bear, HE'S BEAR!!

BOOOOOARGH! MY BAND!
Hikage_Ninja

Postby Stephen » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:46 am

Spoken has a song on there new cd called Sleep Well Tonight...really good love song.
Stephen

Postby Rachel » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:02 pm

Shatterheart wrote:CCM in general=Show Me the Money.

I agree. I really don't listen to much christian music because it's just so....I don't know the right word...but it seems to me like most christian artists are trying to shove everything down your throat and that they are doing it just to make a profit. coughmichaelwsmithcough. Anyways. A few christian love songs that I know of are that are really good are " Still Burning" by Sixpence None the Richer and " Your Kisses Blind Me" by the Benjamin Gate.
Anyways that's my two cents.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:21 pm

I agree with Shatterheart and Rachel. Besides, most christian artists are just a bunch of $ellout wannabe pop stars.
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:35 pm

i dont listen much to christian romance songs cause well im not abig love song fanatic. However most of my music I listen to is Christian. Well bands like Demon Hunter, Haste the Day, Dead Poetic, Zao, As I Lay Dying (i can trell if they aren't Christian really).

To be more perfectly honest, I dont listen to music that cusses.
Hitokiri

Postby Nightshade X » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:38 pm

Has anyone listened to DC Talk's "Godsend"? That's a love song if I've ever heard one. It was played in good circulation a while back by many Christian radio stations. In fact, I like it so much that I want to play that song at my wedding... if I ever have one... but that's a whole different story altogether...
Nightshade X

Postby Nate » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:49 pm

By the way, in case yer interested, the word holy actually means "set apart." That's it, no more, no less.

Anyway, it's sad but I know we have a Christian radio station here called KLOVE and all their songs are like these stupid pop or R&B or "light rock" songs, not a single one by Pillar or Newsboys (well, ONCE in a while...they're very rare).

Talking about Christian love songs...well, I'm actually probably the only Christian on this site who watches South Park :sweat: , so no one else would get the joke...

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:08 pm

I don't think it'd be safe to assume that. I'm not a regular watcher (I couldn't if I wished to be) but even I could get perhaps a tenth of South Park jokes. As long as it's in good taste no one will mind.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:34 am

uc pseudonym wrote:As long as it's in good taste no one will mind.

*thinks he sees the problem*

:lol:

I'd say ignore people who are really closed minded about stuff like that whenever possible. Suffice to say:
1. I am a Christian.
2. I write songs.
3. Both worship and non-worship songs.
4. In fact, the night I proposed to my wife, I sang one of my songs.
5. I think God gave her to me.
6. Why else would song of songs be in the bible if God hates love songs?

Anyway, let's not discuss those points (at least not 6 :lol: )
Mithrandir

Next

Return to Jam Session