Outrage: R&B song advocates violence against women who don’t abort

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Outrage: R&B song advocates violence against women who don’t abort

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:53 pm

http://www.sermonaudio.com/new_details.asp?ID=17099

I knew that sort of music was filthy... But... Never thought of it going this low....
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Ashley » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:06 pm

First off, this should have been in the music section, not general. Secondly, for now this thread is staying open, but keep in mind this is a very diverse community. Please keep it civil and courteous, or this thread will be closed.

And on a more personal note, while I don't really like R&B myself, I don't think it's fair to call an entire genre filthy and such based on one bad example. Just my two cents.
Ashley

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:10 pm

okay most of wha tI've heard then. Sorry Ashley. Seems to me that everyone shoudl feel the same about this though.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby bakura_fan » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:14 pm

That is truly sad....
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:29 pm

We need to pray for these people.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Yojimbo » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:37 am

Your making some very ignorant statements Shao. First let's get one thing straight Joe Budden is not an R&B singer this is a remix of an R&B song. Joe Budden is a so claimed "gangster" rapper and a bad one at that. Secondly, you do know R&B stands for Rhythm and Blues right? Here is a link to the history of R&B and you can judge for yourself whether it's "filth."

http://www.rhythmandtheblues.org.uk/pdhist.shtml

Here are some very well known R&B artists here that probably even you have heard of.

Parliament-Funkadelic
James Brown
Ray Charles
Earth, Wind & Fire
Toni Braxton
Boyz II Men
Prince
Luther Vandross
the Isley Brothers
Whitney Houston
Billie Holiday
B.B. King

Are you honestly going to group these good artists with a two bit rapper doing a remix of an R&B song? You just labeled an entire genre based on some false understanding of it. So next time you have the urge to get all righteous about something like this do your homework and get the facts before saying something ignorant. And yes those lyrics are terrible and the remix should not be played of course. Go ahead and lock this thread now Ashley or whichever admin reads this first if you feel it's neccesary.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Stephen » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:34 am

Easy guys...lets not get hostile with each other. First off I must agree that judging an entire genre is wrong....however, posting a flame post and closing it with "you can close the thread now" is wrong too. I will be nice this time, but next time I will simply delete your post and lock the thread. So please guys...play nice. As for my views...I think that freedom of speech will somtimes let morons say things they should not....that does not mean we should change laws to prevent this. Don't let your kids buy the cd.....*shrug* problem solved.
Stephen

Postby Yojimbo » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:03 am

Shatterheart wrote:Easy guys...lets not get hostile with each other. First off I must agree that judging an entire genre is wrong....however, posting a flame post and closing it with "you can close the thread now" is wrong too. I will be nice this time, but next time I will simply delete your post and lock the thread. So please guys...play nice. As for my views...I think that freedom of speech will somtimes let morons say things they should not....that does not mean we should change laws to prevent this. Don't let your kids buy the cd.....*shrug* problem solved.

A flame? Out of everything I said there what do you consider a flame? I dumbed it down just so no one would take offense. I merely said to close it so we could avoid an argument if Shao decided to respond.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

Yojimbo

Postby Zilch » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:40 pm

Yojimbo, there's a wonderful invention for disscusions about what an admin has said...

the PM...

as per your flaming?

Yojimbo wrote:Your making some very ignorant statements Shao.

As you tell someone not to judge a genre, you judge a person.

Yojimbo wrote:Here are some very well known R&B artists here that probably even you have heard of.

This phrase is obviously used to demean the other person in the conversation.

Yojimbo wrote:So next time you have the urge to get all righteous about something like this do your homework and get the facts before saying something ignorant.

Calling someone a goody-two-shoes is considered a flame, and again, judging a person even when you don't know them.

Yojimbo wrote:You just labeled an entire genre based on some false understanding of it.

You just labeled an entire person a religious, R&B-hating fanatic from one post.

I rest my case.
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby shooraijin » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:11 pm

Let's get on with it, folks. Other opinions?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Yojimbo » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:46 pm

Yojimbo, there's a wonderful invention for disscusions about what an admin has said...

the PM...

I don't want anyone else to make the same judgement Shao did based on reading what he posted. Heck from your point of view that sarcastic remark you just made is a flame. Luckily I don't think that. Besides couldn't you of likewise PM'd me this?

Zilch wrote:As you tell someone not to judge a genre, you judge a person.

No that's not judging a person at all Shao made an ignorant comment about something that wasn't poking at him as person. Ignorance has nothing to do with stupidity. If I make an ignorant comment and someone corrects me I don't take that as an insult and I don't see how anyone but the most sensitive of people would either.

This phrase is obviously used to demean the other person in the conversation.

I'm sorry that you feel it neccesary to read into every word someone says and assume things. Since he was bashing R&B he probably thinks Rap and R&B are one and the same. I just wanted to clarify the differences between the two genres by naming some very very well known R&B artists such as Whitney Houston and James Brown. And you have a problem with this why?

Calling someone a goody-two-shoes is considered a flame, and again, judging a person even when you don't know them.

No once again your assuming things I didn't even mean. She saw something offensive in a remix by a rapper and rightly so posted here about it. I'm only saying next time she wants to call something filth she should at least know a little bit about what she's insulting.

Just for clarification so nobody fly's off the handle on me that remix is disgusting and wrong.

You just labeled an entire person a religious, R&B-hating fanatic from one post.

And once again your reading too much into every little word. She has a false understanding of the R&B genre so what's the problem?

I rest my case.

Right....

Yojimbo

Postby Zilch » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:03 pm

Okay, I'll admit...I was wrong...

I flew off the handle, and I said some things I shouldn't have. I offer my apology, Yojimbo.

BTW, that remix should be thrown in a deep dark pit full of Pikmin.
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby Hitokiri » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:33 pm

To be perfectly honest...I can't tell the difference between gangster rap and R & B...sounds the same but then again...I hate the style of music :)

Back to the subject...I think Shao, when she read that this rapper was R&B, that whoever wrote the article said it he was, grouped this guy with allt he R&B. I don't know her knowledge with the R&B or Gangsta Rapper scene and I can defeitnly say that I don't know any of it either.

Of what I think of the song, the guy should be lynched, tar, or feathered.....or at least have the song taken off the stations.

I hope music improves in the future.
Hitokiri

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:34 pm

Shitsurei shimasu! Mate!
Heh...:sweat: I wasn't paying much attention... I always thought R&B and rap were all related... Well I know now and that's all there is to it.
Besides a lot of music within Rap is filthy but I know of a few artists who aren't.
Sheesh. I already APOLOGIZED* if you were paying attention. Heh. I think you'll survive if I mistakenly say the wrong thing. I was just rather upset when I created this thread. And so you know, I've never heard of those artists save for, Whitney and BB King.
Not to mention the fact that that wasn't even relevent to the meaning of the thread.

shao wrote: okay most of what I've heard then. Sorry Ashley. Seems to me that everyone shoudl feel the same about this though.
Maybe i didnt clarify abotu what we all should feel the same about...:sweat: I was referring to the song the thread's about.

Your making some very ignorant statements Shao
And why do you all call me by the family name?:eh:
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Yojimbo » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:25 pm

I'm glad this is out of the way. Everything's cool no hard feelings. :grin:

Yojimbo

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:02 pm

No hard feelings. I knew I was mistaken ans that you needed to chill out.

I don't want anyone else to make the same judgement Shao did based on reading what he posted.

So you should know... I'm a girl.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Locke » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:46 pm

> I don't want anyone else to make the same judgement Shao did based on reading what he posted.

u know it wasent until a few months ago till i looked at the gender thing here, i just assumend everyone by lookin at there avatar...

on topic: whoa that totaly stinks... I always thought Joe Budden was a rapper. R&B is so peacful.

oh yeah im indifferent to all gennres of music but thats the music i grew up with so eh
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Yojimbo » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:57 pm

So you should know... I'm a girl.

Yeah I realized that earlier that's why I edited it. My mistake sorry.

Locke wrote:> I don't want anyone else to make the same judgement Shao did based on reading what he posted.

u know it wasent until a few months ago till i looked at the gender thing here, i just assumend everyone by lookin at there avatar...

on topic: whoa that totaly stinks... I always thought Joe Budden was a rapper. R&B is so peacful.

oh yeah im indifferent to all gennres of music but thats the music i grew up with so eh

Lol how ironic that's because Joe Budden is a rapper. And a bad one at that in my opinion which I thought before even reading this story. And yes Rythmn and Blues is either sad and bluesey (go figure) like with BB King. Or very uppity music like with Earth, Wind, and Fire.

Anyway this thread is done with.

Yojimbo

Return to Jam Session