The Malignant Tumor of the Music Industry

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Postby Nightshade X » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:36 am

I'd have to say that I pretty much agree with most of what PumpkinKoRn and righteous_slave said. Yes, I despise rap (and being black tends to make things worse for me because people tend to expect me to like it... grrr... baka.), but there are a few secular groups, very few, I can actually tolerate (probably even like). All but the exception of maybe one are of the old-school generation. If I listen to rap at all, it's usually Christian rap. The artists I like are as follows:

GRITS
Knowdaverbs
KJ-52
K2S... a little
John Reuben
L.A. Symphony
The Cross Movement
B.B. Jay
plus a few artists who have conveniently slipped my mind.

Please bear in mind that many of these groups I only know of because rap is all the people at my church EVER listen to. There are very few people who don't like rap there (I can count them all on one hand. It's pathetic.). It’s so sad… the only concerts that we ever hold anymore are either country or rap. I can’t stand it!!! But… enough of my sob story…

As far as "rapcore" groups are concerned, I only listen to Linkin Park and Thousand Foot Krutch (who I don't even consider rapcore anymore). In my opinion, rapcore is a poor excuse for a “newâ€
Nightshade X

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:47 pm

greyscale42 wrote:Thts ... just ..... sad. Although I cant say much I cant rap either. I dont like rap mostly because off..... EVERY DOG GONE THING ABOUT IT!!! Its annoying, monotonous, and over all cheesy. Mainly rappers have an ego ranging from "I am the greatest" or "Im no. 1" to "I own the World". O sorry miss quote "I be da greatest" or "I ownz da World *enter cussword here*"

Yeah, I'm with you there. It's no good just making a public proclamation of how cool you are, there's no honor in that. You're not as funky as you think you are, and more funky than you know, that's what I say.

PumpkinKoRn52 wrote:Hey SpponyBard, by freestyle, you mean rap right? If you mean just writing songs, I'll do that, but I'm proud to say I can't rap. And I do hold those as exceptions, but you can't base the whole on exceptions. Some people try to do that.

It's actually more akin to poetry really, which is strange because I don't really much care for poetry. You couldn't dub any of my stuff over any sort of regular, set beat. But it's more or less rap-inspired.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:23 pm

I'll do poetry, That's kinda what I had in mind
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby Inferno » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:33 am

PumpkinKoRn52 wrote:I seriously want comments on this.

first of all i don't care what you think about rap!!! Second of i love black eyed pees! I mean siriously this has got to be the harshesed thread ive ever seen! Dude take a chill pill!
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby Nate » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:44 am

I don't much care for rap either, especially when it's someone like Puff Daddy ruining a Led Zeppelin song like "Kashmere."

BARRRRRFFFFFFFF!

With that said, there is only one rap group I've ever liked, and that is Run DMC. They are indeed fairly awesome. Other than that, bleh, especially today's rap with vulgarity and profanity (in the shipyards I had a black roommate and he watched BET INCESSANTLY).

But everyone has their own tastes, so I won't say it sucks, only that I don't care for it. It is NOT music though, on that I will stand firm. Music involves people playing instruments.

P.S. Inferno, Veritechs rock! You are kewl in my book.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Inferno » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:53 am

technecly music is just sound waves moving in a pleasurable way. So music such as techno/rap is music because it is sound waves moving in a pleasurable way(to some people it's pleasurable) . SO my point is..... music does not always to involve people using instruments.
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby KBMaster » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:20 pm

I despise rap too, but maybe you're being just a bit harsh? Just a thought.
I think it's one of the worst forms of music, too, but I think it's quite tasteful when Linkin Park mixes it in with rock.
I was once listening to talk radio and the talk show host(glenn beck) was quoting LL cool J's lyrics. I couldn't stop laughing. It was the stupidest thing I have ever heard. :lol:
KBMaster

Postby panegryst » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:14 pm

Inferno wrote:technecly music is just sound waves moving in a pleasurable way. So music such as techno/rap is music because it is sound waves moving in a pleasurable way(to some people it's pleasurable) . SO my point is..... music does not always to involve people using instruments.

you are right... technically.

but the whole concept of 'art' (of which music is a part) is based on the concept that there is a meaning to things beyond mere physical cause-and-effect. with that in mind, I reject the idea that music is 'just pleasurable sound waves'. I appreciate music (and other art) on a much deeper level than that. Most rap disgusts me because it tries to pass as music while rarely having any real musical content at all. A looping drum-and-synth beat coupled with nonsensical/vulgar lyrics is NOT an example of music. It is not music by any traditional definition, anyway. If you like rap, knock yourself out, go wild, listen to it as much as you like. But I think we need to keep a clear line between ART and ELEPHANT CRAP. (a reference to, if you forgot, this news story-> http://www.renewal.org.au/artcrime/pages/c_ofili.html )
"Reason is the Devil's harlot."
-Martin Luther

I'll stand for nothing less
Or never stand again
-Chevelle, 'The Clincher'

Image Image
panegryst

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:25 am

More support. Yeah! Rap is, as I have stated before, the poorest excuse for music in existence. And by the way, music is not pleasureable sound waves. Music is sound waves. That's it. It doesn't even have to be pleasureable. In fact, many modern day composers incorporate harsh noises into thier pieces that cause you to cover your ears in pain. And if you want to label rap as music, I would call it a plaesant sound wave after I heard someone scrape thier fingers on a chalkboard for three hours straight whil the vacuum cleaner was running. No, wait, rap is still worse. And inferno, I don't care what you think about rap either.
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby Kenchii » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:56 am

DrNic wrote:I'm sorry but why would I care if music was 'going out', thats a really ignorant thing to say, why would I listen to music just because everyone else is listening to it. Oh, and Nu-metal already died, there was a free sticker in Kerrang once that said Numetal : 1994-2001 on a gravestone. Probably because of Limp Bizkits demise (now thats one band I won't miss!)

It seems here most listeners are into nu-metal or rapcore ect. I just wanted to make their day. ;)
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby desperado » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:26 pm

personally i strongly dislike rap. i go on a trip with the kids in the youthgroup, a girl turns on the rap, we proceed to argue for a while. i sulk the way there then call shotgun and take the seat by the radio. i then proceed to blast them on the way home with classic rock. that is my answer to rap.
desperado

Postby Nate » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:34 pm

W00t! Classic rock forever! Anything after mid-eighties is CRAP! And even mid-eighties is kind of a stretch...

Nate

Postby desperado » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:02 pm

finally someone sees it my way!
desperado

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:28 pm

Yay classic rock! I grew up listening to my dad's old records - Tom Petty, Dan Amos, Bruce Springsteen, etc. As I said before, it's a travesty hearing rap that's dubbed over otherwise respectable music.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:58 am

Classic rock rules. I'll take Pink Floyd and Led Zeppilin and ACDC and The Beatles over anything else anyday of the week.
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby ZiP » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:39 pm

I like rap well enough, I don't like rap when all it's about is sex, and I know that's what most of it's about,
but the other rap is really good,
except for christian rap, it's not proper to rap about Jesus.

I would appreciete if people would please not bash rap so hard, well, at least the rap that's non-sexual i would like less bashing of.
--To Write Love on Her Arms

"That time and absence proves - Rather helps than hurts to love."

"Feelings, emotions, they are good, but they cannot be Love's foundation. When of Love, these things last. When of romance, these things end."

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give -- which is everything."
ZiP

Postby Stephen » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:20 pm

Why is it not proper to rap about Jesus?
Stephen

Postby ZiP » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:46 pm

Jesus is the savior of all the earth, the only form of song that can actually give him proper praise are the Psalms, which is the word of God. Rap is designed to express the tribulations of a minority.

"Feelings, emotions, they are good, but they cannot be Love's foundation. When of Love, these things last. When of romance, these things end."

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give -- which is everything."
ZiP

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:28 am

Zip, no. You're just wrong there. Nothing can give God proper praise. But we can all try. You cannot possibly think that only David could praise God. And you cannot possibly think that rap can't praise him, or any other style. I don't like rap, but if it praises God, I'm okay with it.
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby ZiP » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:18 pm

Pumpkin whatever wrote:Zip, no. You're just wrong there. Nothing can give God proper praise. But we can all try. You cannot possibly think that only David could praise God. And you cannot possibly think that rap can't praise him, or any other style. I don't like rap, but if it praises God, I'm okay with it.

FYI the bible was written being inspired by the holy spirit, so it can.

ZiP

Postby Nate » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:32 pm

I'm fine with anything that praises God, even rap (though I don't listen to it), but I know people have certain opinions that are hard to break. For example, a lot of the older people in my church hate Christian rock (Pillar, Newsboys, Audio Adrenaline, even Jars of Clay) because when they were growing up they were taught that rock music is a tool of Satan.

And who's to say the people who write Christian rap or rock aren't inspired by the holy spirit as much as or even more than David?

By the way, PumpkinKoRn, you have the best taste in music of any 16 year old I've ever met. Truly, you were raised well.

Nate

Postby ZiP » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:42 pm

Because david's case was in the bible, and the holy spirit doesn't need to inspire special Revelation like that anymore becuase the bible's been writtin, and besides, if the holy spirit doesn't belive it proper who wouldn't inspire rap.
I'm not going to post a gain on the subject, I'm having trouble not geting angry and pumpkin, and I don't want this to turn out like it did with my brother, over the Passion.

ZiP

ZiP

Postby Nate » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:08 pm

I hate to get riled up, and I'd hate to see this thread locked, but there are some things I believe NEED to be said.

ZiP wrote: and besides, if the holy spirit doesn't belive it proper who wouldn't inspire rap

FIRST of all, you as a mere MORTAL CANNOT even REMOTELY begin to fathom what God is thinking. Who do you think you are to claim to know what the Holy Spirit finds proper? I don't recall the Bible saying anywhere that rap was somehow evil or unholy.

ZiP wrote: and the holy spirit doesn't need to inspire special Revelation like that anymore becuase the bible's been writtin

Oh, really? Okay, then why do we have hymns? You're saying that God didn't inspire people to write the hymns we sing in church, MOST of which were written in the 1500s or so, well after the bible? So then why do we sing them if they're not inspired by God? And if the Holy Spirit doesn't inspire people anymore, why do people still turn to God? The Bible says the Holy Spirit enters us when we put our faith in God, but you're saying that God doesn't do that anymore? The Holy Spirit just kinda lies around like a bum these days?

Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise--the fruit of lips that confess his name. - Hebrews 13:15

Sounds to me like the author of Hebrews, which is in the Bible, which is inspired by God, says that lips that confess the word of God is praise, and last time I checked praise is a good thing. So if a Christian rap star raps about how good and holy God is, according to God, that would be praise.

Nate

Postby Kenchii » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:46 pm

kaemmerite wrote:I hate to get riled up, and I'd hate to see this thread locked, but there are some things I believe NEED to be said.

FIRST of all, you as a mere MORTAL CANNOT even REMOTELY begin to fathom what God is thinking. Who do you think you are to claim to know what the Holy Spirit finds proper? I don't recall the Bible saying anywhere that rap was somehow evil or unholy.

Oh, really? Okay, then why do we have hymns? You're saying that God didn't inspire people to write the hymns we sing in church, MOST of which were written in the 1500s or so, well after the bible? So then why do we sing them if they're not inspired by God? And if the Holy Spirit doesn't inspire people anymore, why do people still turn to God? The Bible says the Holy Spirit enters us when we put our faith in God, but you're saying that God doesn't do that anymore? The Holy Spirit just kinda lies around like a bum these days?

Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise--the fruit of lips that confess his name. - Hebrews 13:15

Sounds to me like the author of Hebrews, which is in the Bible, which is inspired by God, says that lips that confess the word of God is praise, and last time I checked praise is a good thing. So if a Christian rap star raps about how good and holy God is, according to God, that would be praise.

Why are you trying so hard to defend rap music? *christian rap totally out of the subject*

As far as your saying, rap music in the bible is NOT unholy?, it is just that...(unholy)

Thts ... just ..... sad. Although I cant say much I cant rap either. I dont like rap mostly because off..... EVERY DOG GONE THING ABOUT IT!!! Its annoying, monotonous, and over all cheesy. Mainly rappers have an ego ranging from "I am the greatest" or "Im no. 1" to "I own the World". O sorry miss quote "I be da greatest" or "I ownz da World *enter cussword here*"

Agreed.

PumpkinKoRn52 wrote:Rap is, as I have stated before, the poorest excuse for music in existence.

I've couldn't have said it better.
私は愛する

<3

Kenchii

Postby Nate » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:50 pm

Err...sorry if I got ya confused, Kenchii. Actually I was defending Christian rap, not regular rap, which I could pretty much care less about. It's just that ZiP there was trashing Christian rap, saying it wasn't a proper way to praise God, and that got me fired up.

Again, I'm not defending regular rap, I know that's unholy and displeasing to God, I was defending Christian rap.

Nate

Postby Kenchii » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:02 pm

kaemmerite wrote:Err...sorry if I got ya confused, Kenchii. Actually I was defending Christian rap, not regular rap, which I could pretty much care less about. It's just that ZiP there was trashing Christian rap, saying it wasn't a proper way to praise God, and that got me fired up.

Again, I'm not defending regular rap, I know that's unholy and displeasing to God, I was defending Christian rap.

:red: :sweat:

Oops, I guess thats what I get for reading the topic newest to oldest (...too much reading manga) :hits_self
私は愛する

<3

Kenchii

Postby Riku777 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:14 pm

I'm with kae, zip, what right do u hve to thrash God? and yes GOD cause the holy spirit is from God and if u think that the holy spirit don't do much nymore, are you SADLY mistaken. if there was no holy spirit anymore, or if the holy spirit didn't do anything, who would WE be? we'd be on a one way ticket to HELL! what church u from zip? cause if u got that from ur church, then u should re considder a new church. i don't care whta kind of ur thrashing, if u thrash anything about God, then u rn't christian in my eyes, in every1's eyes.
Adopted by Sammy-chu ^-^ *Wishes Sam*ron would come and visit sometimes*

Proud Owner of a limited edition Kaemmerite (AKA Nate) Plushi!!!

Mary had a little lamb.... AND THEN I ATE IT >:D BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :evil:
Locke wrote:When life gives you lemons, make it into a blog and get comments. =/

Nate wrote:[color=black]Screw TNT: CAA Knows Drama.
[/color]
[color=#ffa500]"Thank you for killing this thread...
dragging it's poor comatose body into
the freeway....and allowing the trucks
of rabbits trails of offtopicness drive it
into the pavement. Please, feel free to
spit on it's skid mark remains.
You monster."
-Ark

[/color]
(\_/)
(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
[color=lime](> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination... [/color]Or I'll eat you, all up. Mwahahahahaha
@_@All my base are belong to bunny@_@
[color=mediumturquoise]猿]
Riku777

Location: Where we live in Igloos, it's below freezing ALL the time and where we talk about the Hockey Lockout

Postby Lochaber Axe » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:25 pm

ALRIGHT THIS IS ENOUGH PEOPLE!!!

This is going against what this site is meant for. It is time that you all think about what you are saying and make amends for it. You are all sounding like children right now.

1. Rap is music. Deal with it. As long as society labels it as such, it is.

2. I hate rap, you hate rap. They like rap. It is an individual's right to love and hate whatever they want to.

3. Music is not why we are on the Earth. Do you understand! We are here to spred the word, build fellowships with other believers, and to praise His name (in whatever form you want).

4. Praise is not based on music anyways. It is the intention that matters. Just because you are singing a hymn or rapping doesn't mean you are praising him. To really praise is to put your body, mind, and soul into glorifying him. If you do it by pounding pans together than you are praising him. Music is only a small factor when it comes to praise.

I have said my peace.

Note: Check my links in my sig. I am an Admin for two sites, so don't quibble with me.
Lochaber Axe

Postby shooraijin » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:28 pm

*blows whistle* Find something new to talk about, folks. We'd rather not lock this thread either.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Lochaber Axe » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:35 pm

That is exactly what I am trying to do. There is too much judging just because of music!

I have said what I felt needed to be said and have no reason to defend it if it comes under attack. Things were going too far, too fast.

I really don't know if either I doused the flame or reignited it, but I tried my hardest to simmer it.
Lochaber Axe

Previous Next

Return to Jam Session