Help Cap'n Crack tune up!

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Help Cap'n Crack tune up!

Postby Cap'n Nick » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:17 am

I need music. Lots of it. Problem is, I have trouble finding bands I like and I don't have anybody that I can trust for a good recommendation. So, I thought I'd come here for help. Please tell me about bands or songs that you think I might enjoy so I can get my CD collection out of the single digits.

Some bands I have enjoyed in the past are 311, Sum 41, Daft Punk, Frou Frou, Zebrahead, and Five Iron Frenzy. I also like a lot of that synthy 80s stuff like Tears for Fears and Flock of Seagulls.

This time around I would also like to get more Christian music. No cheese - Five Iron is about as cheesy as I can put up with, and they're pushing it.

Also, does anyone know of a (legal) way to sample music before you buy it? I've been using iTunes for most of my music lately but as far as I know they don't have any way to preview.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Steeltemplar » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:14 pm

iTunes does have a way to preview. When you are viewing stuff in the Music Store just double click on the song title to hear a preview.

You can also hear clips at most music sellers online. Barnes and Noble, for instance.

On to the suggestions:

My number one suggestion to you would be 2 Skinnee J's, looking at what you like. Get their album Supermercado first. They do very intelligent rap/rock. It's awesome. Not a bad song on that album. If you are looking for samples, try the songs "(718)", "The Best", and "Riot Nrrd". They have some mild objectionable content, but nothing really bad IMO.
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby righteous_slave » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:39 pm

Godcore.com: lots of Christian death/thrash/hardcore bands, several punk/ska ones thrown in as well. Tons of info, links, and many bands have MP3s on the site
purevolume.com: free and legal, mostly underground independant bands, but every so often someone big puts a few tracks up for a while (Reliant K comes immediatly to mind). Sift around to find the Christian bands
soundclick.com: same as above
IUMA.com: third verse, same as the second.

There is tons to look through on all of these sites. Just give any bands a good looking over before going overboard. Check lyrics, homepages, ect.

This may not help increase the CD collection, but you can sure fill up your hard drive.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:00 am

I don't know how far into "cheese" this goes, but if you like 80's syth, then you might like Joy Electric
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Noodles » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:40 pm

Vh1.com if I remember correctly has clips of all the songs on the bands most recent albums. There is also launch.yahoo.com in which you can get the bands music video but you need to sign up to Yahoo and it has annoying 10-30 sec commercials.
Moo, I tell ye! MOO!
Noodles

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:15 am

yeah, if you like daft punk, you'll prolly like joy electric, they're techno too

check out mp3.com they're affiliated with c/net, they have mini sites that you can listen to music for free on, and it's a legit site, so it's all legal, and you don't actually download anything, it's more like internet radio, and you can pick who you listen to, i remember i went on there lookin' to see if i actually could download an alice cooper song, but all i was able to do was listen to some of the songs off one of his latest cds (don't sweat it, he's a christian now)
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Cap'n Nick » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:46 am

Thanks for the help everybody. I've picked up a few new bands and have plenty of places to poke around for new stuff now. My collection shouldn't stay micro for long.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Joshua Christopher » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:21 am

Not all of Beck's music is clean, but it's really great.

...If you like strange stuff.... : )
Joshua Christopher

Return to Jam Session