Reasons for Liking J-Music

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Reasons for Liking J-Music

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:08 pm

Ever notice that in J-Music, especially J-Pop, its so addicting becasue its like poetry almost? Kinda like reading the King James Version of the Bible. It's like poetry! Not some guy complaining about some random girlfriend like in American Rock.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby agasfas » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:16 pm

To be honest I don't listen to J-pop. My philosophy has been, if I can't understand one word why listen. Though I can't really judge, I've never really listened to it. So the beats may be good... But I don't know.... :P
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:36 pm

eh who cares if you dont understand, i sure dont. But the way the words sound is just enchanting
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Jeikobu » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:22 pm

I can't wait until I leanr the words so I can understand it, but I must say, from what I've heard, I LOVE Japanese music. I have three Japanese Pokemon CDs, and I have obviously heard Japanese music in anime. And it's way ahead of most other music I hear. I listen to my Pocket Monsters 1997-2003 Perfect Collection CD (all full openings but the latest one and all full endings but the latest four) almost all the time when I listen to music.
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

[SIZE="3"]Please give and help Japan during this awful time![/SIZE]

Please visit my Photobucket and tell me what you think!
Jeikobu

Postby Debitt » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:31 pm

Not all America Rock is a guy complaining about his girlfriend. :lol: *classical rock fan* But I do enjoy listening to Japanese music because the bands seem to do different things in each song, while over here it seems music has become somewhat uniform and follows a common formula.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:48 pm

Well the lyrics are 80% of the time are quite positive and encouraging.

About not knowing what they're saying, it doesn't matter really. Even when they made Ghost in the Shell: Innocence they used anchient Japanese because "you need to break the language barrier to like the song".

JPOP is just... wow. If regular pop sounded like this 0_0. The tunes of them seem so bland and Japanese techno seems so much more advanced than ours (I really don't like English techno >_<) Even the english versions of most JPOP are great. If only they were on the radio.... Seriously, if these songs were all made GOOD english versions, people would look WAY differently of pop probably!
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Mave » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:52 pm

I listen to whatever music sounds good to me, regardless of the language. I've listened to Chinese, Indian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, French, Spanish music and enjoy many of those songs. But I do check the meaning of lyrics every now and then just in case. (This happens mostly with Jrock bands, I mean...when a song title is '666', you can't help but wonder, right?).

I used to be a bigger jpop/jrock fan but after some time, most bands tend to use the same formula. I also generally do not listen to jpop female singers since their voices are too high pitched for me. Old Jpop groups I still listen to: Globe, Two-Mix, Trf, T.M Revolution.

The only jpop I love enough to buy CDs from them right now are Maaya Sakamoto/Yoko Kanno, Hirai Ken and P-Graffiti. It's really how they sound and good lyrics (some exception on Hirai Ken since some of his songs can be sensual in nature).
Mave

Postby Jasdero » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:24 pm

Mave!!! What about L'arc-en-ciel? :3
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:18 pm

ready steady go!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Golden_Griff » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:24 pm

I've only listened to J-Pop recently. Boy am I missing out! It sounds really fun and beautiful. Makes me wanna dance! :dance: But it's like what someone else has said: I have no idea what they're talking about :stressed: They could be singing "We're taking over the world with our kawaii beats!" for all I know :sweat:
My art album! (Click Here!) :cool:

Proud member of P.W.M.O.U.W.I.A.T.M.A. : People Who Make Odd and Ugly Words In an Attempt To Make Acronymns.

"You don't have to be great to start, but you do have to start to be great."--Joe Sabah
Golden_Griff

Postby Aka-chan » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:45 pm

Yay! I love J-pop in whatever form I can get my hands on. SMAP is a special favorite of mine.
Aka-chan

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:02 pm

F.Y.I., lyrics are just poetry in song. That's today's art lesson boys and girls.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby Kenshin17 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:13 am

I love J-pop. I constantly drive my brother nuts with it.
My favorite is the intro to Gundam Seed - Invoke, and the first ending song to Orphen season 1 -Last Kiss.
Kenshin17

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:04 pm

Mave wrote:The only jpop I love enough to buy CDs from them right now are Maaya Sakamoto/Yoko Kanno, Hirai Ken and P-Graffiti. It's really how they sound and good lyrics (some exception on Hirai Ken since some of his songs can be sensual in nature).

ya know Melissa by P-grafitti sang the first opener for full metal alchemist? i LOVE that song!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mave » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:26 pm

Sunako wrote:Mave!!! What about L'arc-en-ciel? :3

Eek...I completely forgot about this thread once it got moved! Sunako-san, oops, for some reason I thought this thread was about Jpop only. That's why I didn't mention them XD;;; But yeah Laruku is the best Jrock group, IMO! *watches out for Gackt, Miyavi or other Jrock band fans* <.< >.>

SmartyPants, yeah Melissa is a great song. The first P-Graffitti song I heard was Music Hour, which I downloaded from the Internet. I fell in love with it. Try other songs. Loved them too.

End Result? 4 P-Graffitti albums in my collection XD XD XD

I only own on Laruku album though..^_^;;; But I love Ready Steady Go a lot too!
Mave

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:34 pm

ShiHi's Reasons For Liking J-rock

· I love the Japanese language and listening to Japanese songs is a good way to learn new words and stuff.
· the lyrics are often much more poetic than American lyrics.
· Japanese rockers don't seem to be afraid to be artistic or different. so you get a lot of diversity.
· 9 times out of 10, j-rockers are HOT. XD XD XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:49 pm

I really want to be into J-rock but I haven't gotten the chance to listen to any yet. I just have a relatively slow dial-up connection on my computer so I can't very well download anything, and it's not as if I can just walk into the nearest FYE and pick up a J-rock/pop cd. I'm sure I'm missing out on something great.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Jasdero » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:14 pm

Mave wrote:Eek...I completely forgot about this thread once it got moved! Sunako-san, oops, for some reason I thought this thread was about Jpop only. That's why I didn't mention them XD]
XDD!! I just remembered your activity in the J-rock pics thread and what you tend to upload. ^^ I love too many... @_@ Malice Mizer, Plastic Tree, Psycho le Cemu, Dir en Grey, Janne de Arc, Miyavi, Hyde.... The list goes on... XDD

ShiroiHikari wrote:ShiHi's Reasons For Liking J-rock

· I love the Japanese language and listening to Japanese songs is a good way to learn new words and stuff.
· the lyrics are often much more poetic than American lyrics.
· Japanese rockers don't seem to be afraid to be artistic or different. so you get a lot of diversity.
· 9 times out of 10, j-rockers are HOT. XD XD XD

ditto.. X3
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby harina » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:13 am

i think that j-pop and j-rock is much more imaginative than the "western" music. maybe it's just because i have listened the clichées of american and european music all my life, and haven't got used to the clichées of japanese(/korean) music. i don't know. but i like also the japanese culture / pop culture and the language. :D
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. [Hebr. 11:1]
harina

Postby Kireihana » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:57 am

I've noticed that in jpop/jrock, you can sing about stuff like bubbles or strawberries and people won't think you're weird...

Right now I REALLY like the song "ALIVE" by Raiko (one of the Naruto theme songs, it think it's an ending song). Does anyone know anything about the rest of their music?
Kireihana

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:31 pm

harina wrote:and haven't got used to the clichées of japanese(/korean) music.

very true, although many k-pop songs always try to make it some super duper dance groove thats all flashy and technoish... or that may just be one of the artists

i like k-music too, seeming that im korean, why wouldnt i? :lol:

and malice mizer scares me!!! as well as that guy who dresses like a girl, and has a whtie face and blue lipstick *shudders*
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby blkmage » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:03 pm

Speaking of J-pop, anyone hear Utada Hikaru's new English album?
blkmage

Postby Mave » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:27 am

I like some of Utada Hikaru's songs but I haven't had the chance to follow up with her latest.

The only Kpop I really listen to at the moment is BoA/Boa/BOA. Never mind that she's cute, her voice is pretty incredible for a young teenager (around 14-15?)
Mave

Return to Jam Session