Help with music-making software and general song-writing advice :)

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Help with music-making software and general song-writing advice :)

Postby CreatureArt » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:09 am

Hello there everybody!

I was just wondering what software (both freeware and commercial) you can use to make music on the computer.

I know how to read and write music (intervals, scales, accidentals, note names, minors, majors, the list goes on... :P ) but I'd love to put some of my compositions onto the computer to hear how it sounds.

I could probably figure out a average/advanced program by way of tinkering around and reading up on tuts on the net but the main problem is that I don't know what software to look for.

So if you have any advice, hints or tips in this matter, it would be much appreciated - or even general music composition tips and tricks in general, that's all good. I've only recently started writing and singing my own music, and although I have a decent start in having done piano to Grade 5 and singing (Grade 4) (eek - I sound posh. Free school lessons I tell you! :P ) and basically just a beginner.

God bless, and thanks for taking time to read through this terribly long post (I must start trying to write shorter ones so people don't get eye-strain... maybe once I age, like wine [or cheese] in terms of forum time I won't write so much... ;) ).

-CA
CreatureArt

Postby Sephiroth » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:03 am

What sorta stuff are you looking for, Theres a really good program for creating dance music called Reason, its really good but is fairly complex, the interface is like an audio equipment rack, with different evices you can stick on, like drum machines, synthisisers, effects units, it is a commercially used program, i donk know any freeware, if you like MIDI stuff and synths, with some audio recording features, Steinbergs Cubase is a good program, umm if your looking for more straight recording stuff into your PC then Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge is a great program, if your wanting to spend alot of money on something like that maybe in the future (recording into your PC with Proffessional Software) Getting a DigiDesign Soundcard/Interface and Pro Tools is Reccomended (Costs alot, But is the industry standard for Recording Studio's)
Largo (Megatokyo): "Its this thing... and its like, cool... and it does things... cool things!"

Ph34r t3h Cu73 0n3z!
Sephiroth

Postby CreatureArt » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:19 pm

Sephiroth wrote:What sorta stuff are you looking for, Theres a really good program for creating dance music called Reason, its really good but is fairly complex, the interface is like an audio equipment rack, with different evices you can stick on, like drum machines, synthisisers, effects units, it is a commercially used program, i donk know any freeware, if you like MIDI stuff and synths, with some audio recording features, Steinbergs Cubase is a good program, umm if your looking for more straight recording stuff into your PC then Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge is a great program, if your wanting to spend alot of money on something like that maybe in the future (recording into your PC with Proffessional Software) Getting a DigiDesign Soundcard/Interface and Pro Tools is Reccomended (Costs alot, But is the industry standard for Recording Studio's)

Thank you!

I guess I'm just looking for something I can put notes into - I can write sheet music but it'd been awesome to get something that I can just click notes into etc. and have it play it back to me and me able to print it out. Being able to listen to different instruments etc. play the song would be awesome, too, but mainly it's just having the sheet music and being able to listen to it. Also being able to save it as a music file would be awesome :P .

Thanks so much for the list, though - I'll take a look the ones you've mentioned - because I can use your recommendation to have a look at the music software that's out there. :D . Sorry I wasn't more specific in my question; I didn't really know just how many amazing programs are out there! Maybe if I ever get into music commercially I'll invest in getting DigiDesign and ProTools.

Thanks again, and God bless.

-CA
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:48 pm

It's just a thought, but take a look at Harmony Central and you might find something there too.
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby CreatureArt » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:53 pm

TheMelodyMaker wrote:It's just a thought, but take a look at Harmony Central and you might find something there too.

Thank you! I checked it out - it lists some freeware software that looks really awesome. I've downloaded one and am trying it out - it looks good so far!

God bless, and thanks again for the help. :)

-CA
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
---
CreatureArt

Postby Sephiroth » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:34 am

Another good one to do entering in notes and stuff, and play em as MIDI or print the sheet music out, i think its called music maker, you can also scan in sheet music and it has Optical Charcter Recognition so that you can then edit the scanned in music as you wish, P.S. if i got the name wrong i'll post here again. Oh and you can enter notes and beats in Cubase too, theres an edit page where you can click on the notes you wan't to be played (in the MIDI Formats anyway but not in the Audio part)
Largo (Megatokyo): "Its this thing... and its like, cool... and it does things... cool things!"

Ph34r t3h Cu73 0n3z!
Sephiroth

Postby CreatureArt » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:25 am

Sephiroth wrote:Another good one to do entering in notes and stuff, and play em as MIDI or print the sheet music out, i think its called music maker, you can also scan in sheet music and it has Optical Charcter Recognition so that you can then edit the scanned in music as you wish, P.S. if i got the name wrong i'll post here again. Oh and you can enter notes and beats in Cubase too, theres an edit page where you can click on the notes you wan't to be played (in the MIDI Formats anyway but not in the Audio part)

I'll check them out - but I'd probably better do it tomorrow, since it's getting a little late... *yawn* .

Still, that sounds awesome - being able to both compose and play as a MIDI. Thanks for the advice and help :)

God bless.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
---
CreatureArt

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:10 am

The best advice ever: Know how to read music. If you already knew that, I have wasted your time.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby CreatureArt » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:47 pm

PumpkinKoRn52 wrote:The best advice ever: Know how to read music. If you already knew that, I have wasted your time.

Lol - yep, doing too many years of piano definitely thumps that into your head ;) :hits_self . Thanks anyway, though. I totally agree with your statement - being able to read music is very important if you want to do anything with music.

God bless, and thanks again for the advice :)
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
---
CreatureArt

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:10 am

Your welcome.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Return to Jam Session