Musical People that should be shot.

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:59 am

While I was working in Waco, the only station the other workers listened to was a local station that played terrible music. Mostly randomly slapped together pop or country songs. It was relatively annoying, especially because there were often the same songs playing repeatedly.

Not that they need to be shot, but I now have a strong dislike for whoever sang most of those songs.
uc pseudonym

Postby greyscale42 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:46 am

I definitely agree with Pumpkinkorn52 on the point of pop bands and why they suck. Especially Good Charlotte and Simple Plan who are only popular due to studio magic and a good producer. P.S. Im never coming back to this post so guess what. UR ARGUMENTS FALL ON DEAF EARS!!!
greyscale42

Postby Stephen » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:05 am

Hey wow...thats cool. Narrowmindedness and refusal to hear others views....fun!
Stephen

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:01 pm

It truly is fun. People do it all the time. And don't get started on narrowmindness, because everyone who claims to have an open mind is more close minded than the ones he accuses of being close minded. Little tricky wording, but it'll get the point across.
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby Stephen » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:14 pm

If you already know what I think, then you are closeminded. You should be open to hear what others have to say before you tell them what there thinking. My statement still stands, that it is ignorant and childish to come on a thread, and say I DISAGREE WITH ALL OF YOU YOU STINK AND I WONT BE BACK. The real point behind that is inability to defend ones own views. Your mad, because I happen to think that while there are many music acts I cannot stand, I admit they have talent. You confuse talent, with what you like. To call entire genres crap, simply because they don't suit you...is foolish. There are many many bands I don't like...but I would not be brash and arrogant enough to say there talentless. It takes talent to get where they are...like it or not.

"And don't get started on narrowmindness, because everyone who claims to have an open mind is more close minded than the ones he accuses of being close minded"

But then again, you just proved my point. I probably won't post on this again...since clearly you already "know" what I think. And since you really have no plans on listening to others...or giving a crap what other people think. It truely is bliss isent it.
Stephen

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:20 am

First off, don't ever think I confuse talent with what I like. I HATE many people, like Norah Jones, John Mayer, and others like them, but they are extremeley talented. So don't insult my intelligence like that.
Second, bands like Good Charlotte and Simple Plan do not have talent to the degree of where they are in the music industry. If every song has three chords and two drum beats repeated over and over while some whiny singer schreeches on and on about the same vauge reference that his girlfriend left him and he's too shallow to get a good girl in every single song on every single cd, they do not have talent. And they do have to work hard to get where they are. It takes a lot to sell out and lose your individuality to become one of the norm in order to make money. Like Linkin Park. I hate them to. They are a metal band, which is my style, but they follow the above criteria. They are not a good band and do not have much talent. They are another one of the bands I detest.
Third, how do I already know what you think? I didn't ever state once that I know what you think. I mereley stated that people who claim to be "open minded" are generally "close minded." Everyone that I know that says they are open minded will support things that they do not believe in and try to put down that which they don't like as being "close minded and stupid." One girl I know claims who to be open minded will always support homosexuals making out down the street, but protests "see you at the pole" because it openly shows christianity. so called "Open Minded people" are hypocrites that label what they don't like as "close minded." And I am not also hypocritical by starting this thread. Yes, I don't like these bands, pureley because they have no talent and sell out in order to get ahead. That's pretty much how it's done these days. But I do not hate them pureley because I don't like them. As I mentioned earlier, I hate some artists but they have extreme talent. I would be glad for them to continue thier musical careers. I won't ever listen to them, because that isn't my style, but I still believe that there should be more artists like them because they have TALENT.
Fourth, I don't care about what other people think. I'm proud of that. I'm not one of the shallow conformists that have to be perfect in order to meet the criteria society has set for us. Jesus didn't care about what other people thought. He did what God wanted him to do. If he cared about the thought's of other's, we wouldn't be hear today.
Fourth, If you do not return to this thread, I won't care. But you are a hypocrite because you just stated that greysale42 is an ignorant person because he did not return to this post. And you claim to be "open minded" and not ignorant, yet you will do just what you said makes him ignorant.
If you find this thread offensive, I apologize. But this does not change my views. If you agree with me, that's great. If you don't, that's fine. I don't care. I posted this because I can't stand these bands and artists that steal careers away from ones with real talent. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Where J LO, Britteney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte exist, other bands cannot. Because they have sold out and set the standard for selling out, they can't let bands that don't sell out have musical careers. That's my rant.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby Lehn » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:44 pm

Simmer down kids, jeez.

Talent is in the ear of the beholder. That's been settled.

'PumpkinKoRn52' wrote:Where J LO, Britteney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte exist, other bands cannot.

I could say something about how that comment resembles the Nazi's feelings towards Jews, but I'll refrain.
I genuinely feel sorry for all mainstream bands and artists that are internationally known. They're 'hated' by masses of people who don't even know them personally, who just make sweeping judgments about them just because of the way that they dress, act, and sound.
Without naming names and running the risk of being labeled ‘hypocritical’, to me, some of you seem to enjoy judging people without really even taking the time to get to know them, and yet seem to act like a spoiled little two-year old when they are the ones being judged. To me, that's being closed minded and ignorant. Don't go around pointing fingers unless you want them pointed right back at you.

Sure, I dislike some bands, and from what's been said, we all have very different taste in music, but, personally I would never go so far as to say that I 'hate' them or state that they need to be shot.

We're all going to be dead in a hundred years, and nobody is probably going to remember any of these bands or give fig, so relax. Breath. And let's agree to disagree, while I pray that I'll never be locked in a car with the two of you for an extended amount of time with just a radio.
“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.â€
Lehn

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:02 pm

This thread is going a bit far. Almost to the point where it is pointless and should be closed. But I don't feel this is the proper area for me to act.

An address to PumpkinKoRn52: I believe you are confusing Shatterheart's definition of "open-minded" with the popular definition. If I can speak for Shatterheart (which I may or may not be able to) I believe that he used the term in its original form: considering the arguments of people in other positions seriously, even if you disagree with them.

You seem to be assaulting a corrupted definition of the term, the one used often in society. For this definition I basically agree with you: but this definition is not Shatterheart's. It strikes me that the two of you have less clash than they think.
uc pseudonym

Postby Vash is a plant » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:48 pm

Really, whether one likes a certain band or not is their buisness and while we should be allowed to express our opinions, we shouldn't bash them, saying they "suck", out of respect of those who disagree. One's better off getting their point across by saying they don't like them and why, then leaving it at that. It's just being civil.

Nor should we attack the way a person argues their case, it's irrelavant to the topic and just plain rude.
"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." -1 Corinthians 13:13 :thumb:
:dance: :jump: :hug: :comp: :poke: :drool:
I have a Deviant Art! http://keiko-mukisune.deviantart.com/
Vash is a plant

Postby Psycho Ann » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:25 am

Linkin Park... oh, now it's PERSONAL, dude. If I weren't so tired now, I'd probably be ranting.

I'm curious though, just WHAT is talent to you? What is the difference between talent and skill? How about talent and effort?

Couldn't it be considered a 'talent' to be able to replay the same chords over and over but STILL make it sound good and make it sell? I mean, even though I detest most pop idols, they have basic skills that give them the edge above others.

If I had my way, I can easily bash the whole industry that every modern musical bands/people are talentless because they can not in a million years compose a 10-minute long symphony. These bands/singers need to only compose lyrics and chords in which half the song is the chorus and reprise over and over--utter rubbish! How dare they sell more CDs than Mozart or Beethoven! They should be shot!!

I sense this thread is going to be locked soon, so yeah, death to all the talentless, rubbish spewing, modern bands/singers. Classical composers are the only talented ones fitting to make music. Anyone not up to par by composing something minimal to Beethoven's Klavierkonzert Nr. 5, 3.Treil (piano converto no.5, third movement which is 11:10 minutes long) degree of quality should get a bullet to the head.
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Technomancer » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:08 am

PumpkinKoRn52 wrote:I can't stand these bands and artists that steal careers away from ones with real talent. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Where J LO, Britteney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte exist, other bands cannot. Because they have sold out and set the standard for selling out, they can't let bands that don't sell out have musical careers. That's my rant.

You can't dictate the tastes of the general public in order to "make room" for those bands which you happen to like. If think your radio station plays to the lowest common denominator, find a different station. There are plenty of "non-mainstream" bands that seem to actually have musical careers, get radio air-time, sell concert tickets etc. To name a few (given a few CD's on my desk): Gjallarhorn, La Bottine Souriante, The Chieftans, Ensemble Unicorn, Hedningarna etc, etc. If you can't find good music, look harder and to hell with popularity.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Syreth » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:37 pm

What a lot of people have to understand about musicians is that they don't always stand for ideals. Some do, granted. But the majority of popular musicians out there do what they do because it gets them what they want. Whether it's the money or the fame, most musicians do what they do because they are good at a particular style and it gratifies them in some way, whether it's slipknot or britney spears. I guess the point is that most musicians treat music as a business, and they do the things that get them the business.

As for music in general, I would say that music was originally created to glorify and praise God, because I would agree that music (on its own) is a good thing and every good thing comes from God. This isn't specific to style, beat, genre, although some would disagree. I would say that every style of music can and should praise God, and that makes it worth listening to. I don't think there's a problem with the styles of music that are out there, I just think that it's the artists that have the problem.
Syreth

Postby DrNic » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:17 am

Ooooh. There are so many people I could name:

Fred Durst - cuz he thinks he's well kool. Point is - he sux, Limp Bizkit suck.
The Darkness - in general because they are annoying and it ISN'T good rock music.
Blink 182 - a thorn in the toe of all punk music. They make punk out to be something it isn't. There are plenty of real punk bands out there. Listen to AFI, Misfits, Rancid or Tiger Army instead.
Amy Lee - I just hope she actually picks a Lacuna Coil or Nightwish album, then perhaps, one day, she'll stop spewing out the jargon that Evanescene call their career.
Eamon and Frankee - please, stop it, your killing me *goes into hysterics*
The Rasmus - *shakes head in dismay*
D12 - you're not hardcore and your not funny

I could go on forever (or at least a very long time)

Disclaimer: I'm quite aware this is my own opinion so make of it what you will...
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:24 pm

Thanks UC for clearing that up for me, if that is shatterhearts definition of "open minded." I'm sorry if I offended him but my viewpoint still stands. DrNic, I totally agree with you about every band you mentioned, with the exception that AFI used to be cool but sold out. Syreath, You make a lotta sense too. But music, I believe, was not created just to glorify God. It is also a good way of venting and dealing with your problems. Technomancer, your probably right. I should try harder to find bands with talent, but where I live is in the middle of nowhere and the concerts that come to where I live are either country or pop. My computer is a pice of trash and I would've posted this 2 days ago but I couldn't get online because of this trash heap computer. Now you see my delimma. I can only listen to the same crap station day in and day out, and I don't have enough money to go out and buy cd's every week. That is why I can't look harder into finding underground bands that are good. And Phyco Ann, talent to me is being able to write and play your own music, and not just the same three chord bar repeated over and over, but more along the lines of moderate to complex to play, being able to write songs that actually mean something and not just the same generic sappy song over and over again, being able to be original, and not selling out and losing you identity to make money. I don't consider most pop performers musicians because most do not write thier own music, lip sync in concert, and are paid just to look good. That does not go for all pop performers, but for most of them.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby Pantakrator » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:27 pm

Frankly... D12 is... AWESOME!!!

If you can get past their moral problems...
Luke 10:22 ... "No one knows who the son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son choses to reveal him"

ImageImage
Pantakrator

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:32 pm

PumpkinKoRn52 wrote:Technomancer, your probably right. I should try harder to find bands with talent, but where I live is in the middle of nowhere and the concerts that come to where I live are either country or pop. My computer is a pice of trash and I would've posted this 2 days ago but I couldn't get online because of this trash heap computer. Now you see my delimma. I can only listen to the same crap station day in and day out, and I don't have enough money to go out and buy cd's every week. That is why I can't look harder into finding underground bands that are good.

Fair enough, I live in a large city in southern Ontario so I have a relatively large array of choice (it's also a university town). Things can be found from the internet (like I-radio), or on Amazon.com which often puts up samle clips from the CD's for sale. The lists on that site are sometimes useful as well. Many record stores will also order CD's for you if they don't have them in stock
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:21 pm

There is no accounting for taste.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Pantakrator » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:11 am

Agreed!
Luke 10:22 ... "No one knows who the son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son choses to reveal him"

ImageImage
Pantakrator

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:06 pm

That strikes me as a good note to end the thread on. So if anyone else posts they had better have thought about it very carefully.
uc pseudonym

Postby Stephen » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:10 pm

Actually, I was not ignoring you Pumpkin, I was at a music festival. And to be quite honost, I feel no need to delve into this debate anymore. I am however glad that people like you do not run the music industry. Variety is the spice of life.
Stephen

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:46 pm

Dude, its a ticked off shatterheart...woah. Now this is a Kodak moment, man...

Dude....LOCK this thing before it blows to pieces.
With your doubt, all is comfort
We are all as we appear
No more questions left unanswered
No more wonder, no more fear
Nothing is beauty, nothing's feeling
Blood where there once was a soul
So I ask you, prove yourself
Make me believe that you are whole
Zarn Ishtare

Postby Stephen » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:29 am

Actually, I am not ticked off. I was responding to a statement made to me while I was unable to respond to it due to the fact I was camping in the mountains for 5 days. As far as this being locked, if it needs to be locked it will be. The staff is well aware of what needs to be locked and what does not.
Stephen

Postby Knives » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:45 pm

PumpkinKoRn52 wrote:First off, don't ever think I confuse talent with what I like. I HATE many people, like Norah Jones, John Mayer, and others like them, but they are extremeley talented. So don't insult my intelligence like that.
Second, bands like Good Charlotte and Simple Plan do not have talent to the degree of where they are in the music industry. If every song has three chords and two drum beats repeated over and over while some whiny singer schreeches on and on about the same vauge reference that his girlfriend left him and he's too shallow to get a good girl in every single song on every single cd, they do not have talent. And they do have to work hard to get where they are. It takes a lot to sell out and lose your individuality to become one of the norm in order to make money. Like Linkin Park. I hate them to. They are a metal band, which is my style, but they follow the above criteria. They are not a good band and do not have much talent. They are another one of the bands I detest.
Third, how do I already know what you think? I didn't ever state once that I know what you think. I mereley stated that people who claim to be "open minded" are generally "close minded." Everyone that I know that says they are open minded will support things that they do not believe in and try to put down that which they don't like as being "close minded and stupid." One girl I know claims who to be open minded will always support homosexuals making out down the street, but protests "see you at the pole" because it openly shows christianity. so called "Open Minded people" are hypocrites that label what they don't like as "close minded." And I am not also hypocritical by starting this thread. Yes, I don't like these bands, pureley because they have no talent and sell out in order to get ahead. That's pretty much how it's done these days. But I do not hate them pureley because I don't like them. As I mentioned earlier, I hate some artists but they have extreme talent. I would be glad for them to continue thier musical careers. I won't ever listen to them, because that isn't my style, but I still believe that there should be more artists like them because they have TALENT.
Fourth, I don't care about what other people think. I'm proud of that. I'm not one of the shallow conformists that have to be perfect in order to meet the criteria society has set for us. Jesus didn't care about what other people thought. He did what God wanted him to do. If he cared about the thought's of other's, we wouldn't be hear today.
Fourth, If you do not return to this thread, I won't care. But you are a hypocrite because you just stated that greysale42 is an ignorant person because he did not return to this post. And you claim to be "open minded" and not ignorant, yet you will do just what you said makes him ignorant.
If you find this thread offensive, I apologize. But this does not change my views. If you agree with me, that's great. If you don't, that's fine. I don't care. I posted this because I can't stand these bands and artists that steal careers away from ones with real talent. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Where J LO, Britteney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte exist, other bands cannot. Because they have sold out and set the standard for selling out, they can't let bands that don't sell out have musical careers. That's my rant.

ITS YOUR OPINION THAT THEY HAVE NO TALENT> YOU ARE SUCH A FREAK PUMPKORN
Knives

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:51 pm

okay...flaming BAD. thread closed.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Previous

Return to Jam Session