"You're not here" (SH3) offends my mom

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

"You're not here" (SH3) offends my mom

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat May 01, 2004 1:25 pm

I have the music video for the Silent Hill 3 theme song, "You're not here." I had set it up at one time as my wake up call. Well, I was gone getting a haircut, and it turned on, and my mom walked in on it (just the music, I hope.) :?:

She was appaerently very bothered by it... She doesn't really want me listening to anything but Christian music in the house, though Game music and Japanese music are usually ignored. She listened to the words, and of course heard them wrong. I came home, and she comes in with a very worried sound in her voice. "What exactly is that song that was playing on your computer?" I told her it was a song from a video game, and she said "Your love stips me bare?" I said "It didn't say that, Mom..." I didn't even realize where she could have gotten that from... I looked up the lyrics to show to her, but I was worried even about the line "my body aches" even though it was just a continuation of the drug metaphor (though, she may not appreciate that either) I assured her she didnt' hear what she thought, and told her the line she thought she heard was "Love was never meant to be such a crazy affair." She looked at me funny and said "This is a song in a video game?"

*sigh*

I sure hope she didnt' turn the monitor on... There are some scenes out of the game, of course... She'd have nightmares for a while... Valtiel and the closer, and some random Jacob's Ladderesque moments... The funny thing is, I'd be more scared by Claudia than by Valtiel.

I talked to my brother, and he had this to say about the situation:
Bobtheduck's Brother wrote:yeah, i've had a few encounters kind of like that
playing Christian music at Bible College
older people don't like it when they don't understand words in a song
i got my dean really good one time
i had to go to his office to explain Jars of Clay and DC Talk
I played a few songs of Jars of Clay for him, and he told me there was nothing wrong with them because he could understand the words

i played another song of JOC and he said "I didn't understand that word right there...you can't have this CD in your possession because somebody might visit the dorm and think you're playing secular music if they don't understand it
I nodded and pulled out a Spanish CD and played it for him
He said it was okay because it was Spanish P&W
I asked him if he spoke Spanish, and he said "not a word."
so I said, "so that music is okay even though you can't understand a single word."
he never talked to me about music again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Heart of Sword » Sun May 09, 2004 11:45 am

That would be annoying. Though the only songs I ever listen to are Rurouni Kenshin theme songs (I LOVE Rainbow and Endless Future from the movie), soundtracks from Lion King (oro), and Christian music that I hear occasionally.

But yeah, I've misunderstood lyrics, I think it's just because when someone hears a song, they warp the lyrics to what they thought they were going to hear.

Strange really.
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby Zilch » Sun May 09, 2004 5:39 pm

(reads Bobtheduck's post)(runs to try it out on his principal)
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby cbwing0 » Wed May 12, 2004 6:49 am

My parents never bother me about music (then again, I listen to all of mine through headphones ;) ).

I have looked at some of the codes of conduct for Christian colleges/universities, and in most cases they are quite franly draconian. For example, Liberty University (to use a local example) does not allow students to listen to secular music, or watch R-rated movies (even if they live off-campus!).
cbwing0

Postby shooraijin » Wed May 12, 2004 8:58 am

Liberty, eh? *knows a Liberty student ;) *

I worked for Point Loma Nazarene University for many years, and I don't remember policies like that there (although I wasn't a student, I was a staff member and later an independent contractor). However, within the Nazbo college system, we were definitely considered the most "liberal" which was something I always found amusing.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Retten » Wed May 12, 2004 9:13 am

Yeah I know what you mean my mom doesn't like me listening to any secular music but she stands it when I listen to video game and techno she didn't used to though -_-
I usually just turn my music down when she is in my room if I think she isn't going to like anything, its not like I listen to anything offensive but she just would misunderstand it. I like your brother response I'll have to remember that if I ever run into that problem someday :)

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby cbwing0 » Wed May 12, 2004 9:18 am

[quote="Shoorajin"]Liberty, eh? *knows a Liberty student ]
Liberty is in my state, about 90 minutes from my house. There are a few people from my church who go there; but I attend the University of Virginia.

If you want to see the actual codes of conduct, you can find it here: http://www.liberty.edu/StudentAffairs/index.cfm?PID=1378

I find them amusing, except for the fact that they actually make the students live by them.
cbwing0

Postby kaji » Wed May 12, 2004 9:51 am

CBWing0 wrote: have looked at some of the codes of conduct for Christian colleges/universities, and in most cases they are quite franly draconian. For example, Liberty University (to use a local example) does not allow students to listen to secular music, or watch R-rated movies (even if they live off-campus!).

I would consider Liberty University to be one of the extremes when it comes to rules like that. Their rules are extra consirvative.

For intance, you cant even sit on the same couch as some one of the opisite sex. That's right, there are only certain locations where you can, and they are under constant survailance.

Good luck trying to get away with holding hands or hugging, other big no-no's :eyebrow:
Depend on it. God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply. He is too wise a God to frustrate His purposes for lack of funds, and He can just as easily supply them ahead of time as afterwards, and He much prefers doing so.
- J. Hudson Taylor
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kaji

Postby Kisa » Sat May 15, 2004 5:01 pm

WOW! I see all of your cmments on Liberty and I am shocked! I go to Liberty and none of that is true at all, except watching R rated movies! We can and do listen to secular music and we sit on the same couches wih the opposite sex and its not as conservative as you think. Its actually pretty lax compared to colleges like Pensecola Christian Collage (which is prob what your thinking of) where they even have seprate elavators for girls and guys. At Libert you can hold hands and hug too! Off campus they really cant enforce anything anyway, but they like to try and put rules on commuters anyway . . . but like I said the rules are very lax and sometimes the RAs and all who are supposed to watch people out of dress code dont even writre people up! Theres some girls in my class who walk in looking like they only got half dressed when they woke up. lol So don't go bashing what you dont know, I mean, if you have any questions ask me! I'd be happy to let you all know! ^_^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat May 15, 2004 8:23 pm

No "horseplay"? How on earth can a College student survive without "horseplay"? I think APU (the Christian university right across the street from me) has much looser rules... They may even host dances (the code thing on the liberty site made it wrong to attend a dance.) If I was going to go to a Christian university, I'd go there. I mean, I actually go to their chapels from time to time because I enjoy them. They are actually good chapels for college age, and they teach right out of the Bible, so it's not like some fluffy "inspirational" message.

Completely off topic, but I've never been to a dance... I did, however, dance with a girl for the first time in my life this year. My college group leader has been teaching some of us swing. Yay! So, yeah.

I have to be carefull what I do at my house... I probably won't be playing Silent Hill here anymore (have to stay at my friends house when SH4 comes out), and I'll only play Final Fantasy at night, and only until I beat it. Then it goes back to my friend. I've just gotta accept the rules in the house no matter how much I disagree with them, until I can move out...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Yamato145 » Mon May 17, 2004 7:12 pm

this reminds me of a time when me and my brother were listening to korn
the line was
Ya'll wanna single say F*** that (repeat last 2 words several times)
now i know this aint a good line but apparently my mom heard a reference to anal sex (no clue how) and got all mad at us ... she was actually relieved when we told her the real words!!! lol
The loving, caring, and slightly bad-influencing father of 1balloonpopper and khakibluesocks!!!
Also I'm not sure how -_-' but somehow I am the Master and Father of Spectro-King according to his signature ... but hey I'm up for having a minion ... so jump stupid ... I'll have him keeeeel you
:evil: Evil child of Fantasy Dreamer and Dark Disturbed Grandchild of Cephas VII
On a quest to adopt Cephas
:dance: WACKY BANANA!!! :rock: ROCKER!!! :hug: glomp of DOOM!!!
Ive noticed something interesting, when a place is really amazing people say it must be seen to believed ... but the most amazing place ever must be believed to be seen.
kenshin: W_^Vx
Yamato145

Postby Six » Sun May 23, 2004 2:13 pm

the general rule in my house is that if its questionable keep it quiet or in headphones so my little sisters dont hear it... my parents are kinda odd... i can play any video game as long as its not rated M if it has an M on it for any reason they dont want it in the house.... which i find odd since we watch R rated movies all the time... so yeah, i just sneak it in my bedroom, hide the cover... and turn down the blood and gore and its all good... but yeah i know how u feel dude... before i started using headphones i had lots of awkward conversations over music and stuff.

Fight Ignorance

Inform Yourself

See another country's point of view

Know Your Online Rights

Discover the Intelligent alternative to the basic political parties

Name: Sakeshi Hiromuki

Username:Six

Proficiencies:Kunai, Shuriken, Light Blade (Kodachi)

Techniques:

Clone: NinJutsu; user creates an immobile clone usable only as a decoy

Substitution: GenJutsu; user replaced their body with another object, and throws an illusion around the object so it appears to be them. The illusion breaks on contact with an object

Transformation: GenJutsu; user casts an illusion making them appear as someone else

Slashing Wind: NinJutsu; the user summons and hurls a massive gust of wind. If done properly can cut (25-20tp=5tp)
Six

Location: Pittsfield MA but i preffer Philly which is where I will be going to College

Return to Jam Session