CDs not so indestructable after all ...

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

CDs not so indestructable after all ...

Postby shooraijin » Thu May 06, 2004 10:34 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4908081/

Eeeek.

What blew my mind more was that the label is actually the more vulnerable side to this kind of degradation (naturally, of course, a scratch in the data side will make a disk less playable, but not to this extent). Fortunately, even my oldest discs seem to still be intact.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby cbwing0 » Thu May 06, 2004 11:38 am

Data loss may be a fairly significant problem in the near future. Since so much information is stored on CDs, DVDs, and computer hard drives (which also degrade with time), large amount of information could be lost if steps are not taken to prevent this.

The average lifespan of a book is 500 years. The average lifespan if a computer hard drive is 50 years. The average lifespan of a CD-R is 5-10 years. Scary, no?
cbwing0

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu May 06, 2004 12:38 pm

... That's really scary... I hope they make a more longlasting medium someday... That's really scary... Then again, it's just things... Eventually things won't mean anything to us. Even things as close to our hearts as our music...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby shooraijin » Thu May 06, 2004 1:33 pm

> The average lifespan of a CD-R is 5-10 years.

Well, the thing that's scariest is that this article alleges even "professionally mastered" commercial discs have a lifespan much shorter than previously thought.

On the other hand, virtually all of my 5.25" floppies are still in good repair, some of them nearly 20 years old, so I guess there's hope with good care. Nevertheless, some of the allegations about CD and DVD manufacture just seem as if the workmanship were wholly shoddy.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Kisa » Thu May 06, 2004 1:40 pm

On a bunny trail here . . .
Did you know that putting a CD in a microwave will make it spark and put spider web type designs all over the data side of it??
My bro and some friends tried this with some old messed up CDs and it was weird! But the designs look cool!
^_^'
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby shooraijin » Thu May 06, 2004 1:55 pm

They just added a postscript to the article:

"Additionally, most leading CD media manufacturers recommend not giving media to BelldandyMewMew, as she will microwave them and further diminish their lifespan."

Well, I could have sworn it was in there, anyway. ;)

shooraijin

Postby Kisa » Thu May 06, 2004 3:23 pm

[quote="shooraijin"]They just added a postscript to the article:

"Additionally, most leading CD media manufacturers recommend not giving media to BelldandyMewMew, as she will microwave them and further diminish their lifespan."

Well, I could have sworn it was in there, anyway. ]

:lol: :sweat:
Hehehe, aww man you caught me! lol
No it was my brother not me! I promise!
^_^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Straylight » Thu May 06, 2004 3:52 pm

This lends fuel to the whole vinyl versus CD debate as well. If I put a record and a CD in a cellar for 200 years, I expect that the record would still play. Dunno about the CD though.

Another thing is that a degraded CD will skip and interrupt the song, whilst with the record you just get pops and crackles. I suppose if you play your music to death then you have a problem, but if you want it to last a long time vinyl is better.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu May 06, 2004 3:55 pm

They do need to come up with something more long-lasting. .__. CDs are wonderful but I'd like my music to have a long life, thank you very much o_O
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Locke » Thu May 06, 2004 4:21 pm

Straylight wrote:This lends fuel to the whole vinyl versus CD debate as well. If I put a record and a CD in a cellar for 200 years, I expect that the record would still play. Dunno about the CD though.

i use a vinyl/CD-R cd hybrids! :sweat:

these things are awsome, the cover side is vinyl and the data side is CD-R
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Return to Jam Session