What's your favorite Christmas Carol

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Postby ilikegir33 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:31 pm

Band Aid (1984)'s "Do They Know It's Christmas". Also, I really like most of the songs in The Nutcracker, as well as "The Christmas Shoes". It's so sad!
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:54 pm

Josh Groban version of O Holy Night.

O Holy Night

I like I really like Mary Did You Know, but the only version of it that I like is the one that Clay Aiken. Its the only one that sounds good from other singers that I heard sing it.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:41 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1360005) wrote:I like I really like Mary Did You Know, but the only version of it that I like is the one that Clay Aiken. Its the only one that sounds good from other singers that I heard sing it.

Mark Lowry's original live version is pretty good, a lot better than the studio version he did later.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:02 am

The Holly and the Ivy
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
and...can't help it...Sleigh ride :red:.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Wyntre Rose » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:09 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1358837) wrote:Not "people", just me. XD

My friend, you are not alone. I like Merry Christmas Darling, too. In fact, the Carpenters Christmas albums are probably my favorites of all time.

As far as individual songs go, though, Carol of the Bells, I Wonder as I Wander, and O Come O Come Emmanuel are up at the top. I seem to lean towards the minor, haunting carols as opposed to the cheery ones. Though I like a lot of those, too.

For secular songs I like Christmas Waltz, First Snowfall of the Winter, the music from the Nutcracker - not exactly carols, I know, but it's Christmas-y, right? - and wow, I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I never took Baby it's Cold Outside to be about someone drugging a date into spending the night...I always kind of liked that song...:red: And I probably just ruined any credibility I have right there. lol.

Blitzkrieg1701, that version of Carol of the Bells by The Bird and the Bee is amazing!!

Edit: I just realized why I never took Baby it's Cold Outside to be about date rape - the version I grew up listening to had dialogue around it and through it between the two singers, and the man asks the girl to stay "just one more night, etc..."and at the end of the song, they are obviously, well, making out...lol, which always made me uncomfortable as a kid, but now that I know how other people interpret that song, maybe they were making a point to show that this is a relationship between two conscious, consenting adults, and not date rape...which makes sense. So, in that context, the line about "what's in this drink?" always made me think that the guy wasn't very good at making coffee or something. lol. It's all about the context. My Theology prof would be proud.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:47 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:Speaking of Merry Christmas Darling, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksWQfk3VvBQ

That is the only version that they play on the radio here is the Carpenters one. I like it as well.

Roy Mustang

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:20 am

"The Baby Boy" aka "The Virgin Mary Had A Baby Boy" aka "Glorious Kingdom" - a Caribbean carol. The two best renditions of it I've ever heard are Harry Belafonte and a very old LP in my father's collection of The Luther College men's choir. Both are hauntingly beautiful and peaceful.

I went onto Youtube trying to find it, and ran across all kinds of fast, jazzy performances. The one that probably weirded me out the worst was the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (Nothing like watching a couple hundred pasty white faces trying to get all ethnic on you. Swells my pride as a Caucasian, it does.)

I did, however, manage to find one of the fast jazzy versions that stood head and shoulders abovel the rest, if only in sheer joy of the performers.

Click Here

My second choice is "Cold December Flies Away". I didn't find an English Language Youtube I liked, but I found it in the original language (Catalan) in a very enjoyable performance:

Click Here

And finally, there's "My Heart Always Wanders", which I heard often as a child and then never again. Finally learned a few years back this was because I had been hearing a Scandinavian Christmas hymn being sung in English by elderly relatives who've since passed away. The Norwegian name is "Mitt hjerte alltid vanker". Found a really nice performance of this one:

Enjoy.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Wyntre Rose » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:32 am

EricTheFred (post: 1361236) wrote:And finally, there's "My Heart Always Wanders", which I heard often as a child and then never again. Finally learned a few years back this was because I had been hearing a Scandinavian Christmas hymn being sung in English by elderly relatives who've since passed away. The Norwegian name is "Mitt hjerte alltid vanker". Found a really nice performance of this one:

Enjoy.

Wow, I like it a lot. :)
Wyntre Rose

Postby rocklobster » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:09 am

Roy Mustang (post: 1361234) wrote:That is the only version that they play on the radio here is the Carpenters one. I like it as well.

Yeah, it's so tragic about Karen Carpenter. She had such a good singing voice on all their songs.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Previous

Return to Jam Session