Happy happy, joy joy... -.-

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Happy happy, joy joy... -.-

Postby CobaltAngel » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:11 pm

I just got Evanescense's CD, Fallen, a couple days ago. Its BEAUTIFUL. Deep, and emotional... and, well, honest.
Before I got it, though, the christian teen girl magazine I get had acted like it was a terrible CD that christians shouldn't listen too. Why? Because it was 'joyless'.

So. Friggin. What?!

Even as christians we have our bad days and we can get depressed too. I actaully think this CD could help bring some of the sad lonely people out there to God.

But anyway... that article actaully made me want the CD more... because life isn't 'la-dee-ta!' all the time...
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Danyasaur » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:21 pm

*highfives* I got it too, and it's great, even though I don't really relate to it's message it has good christian morals and a great sound
[color="DimGray"]I don't believe that I would die if I saw you face to face;
but that my spirit would become so alive it took my body's place.

- Danya[/color]
Danyasaur

Postby Angelchick » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:56 pm

i don't have it but i'm thinking about getting it cause i love the sound and i read some stuff about them too but it's not like i don't like any bands that aren't christian.
everywhere i go i can't escape your energy - Skillet

this isn't war, but these are still battles
and battles make it all die out - Dead Poetic

Sometimes I don't know
Where I am
Where I'll be - A Thorn For Every Heart
Angelchick

Postby Stephen » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:29 pm

The "Christian" music industry or CCM (aka leetches) could no longer make a cash cow of a band that said they did not want to be sold at Christian music stores. Thus CCM villianized Evanescence...like an angry child. It was one of the actions that drove me from most Christian music. 95% of Christian music is no different then mainstreme...they toss around God and everything is suposed to be ok. Its all about money to most Christian bands...to me, bands that say they don't want to be considered Christian...are really the only honost ones. Bands that want to get money from both areas, secular and Christian...are simply playing you like a fiddle. Personaly, I feel the only "Christian bands" are those that stick with praise and worship...because to me...once they leave that...there singing about life experience...influenced by God of course...but what makes that different from secualar music, the store that you buy it from? It boggles the mind to me...that people refuse to listen to mainstreme music...yet watch mainstreme anime, tv, movies etc. I guess the boundaries are only on some things and not others....*laughs* This is all my humble opinion however. Back to the main point, Fallen is a beautiful cd...I bought it when it came out....great stuff. (closing thought, in a "ministry" where your dollar pays fat old men to buy better cars, the bands get screwed over for there money...where is God in that?)
Stephen

Postby Kenchii » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:14 pm

I wonder what that christian magazine thought about Demon Hunter...
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby Stephen » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:17 pm

Depends on if DH made them any money ;)
Stephen

Postby Kenchii » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:53 pm

<Depends on if DH made them any money >

Lol. :D
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby CobaltAngel » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:57 pm

Psst... the world of business. _._

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Straylight » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:59 am

This CCM/money thing is why I like WWMT (the Tribe) so much.. they haven't been seduced by money. Andy Hawthorne made a serious jab at CCM in his book "Mad for Jesus". The Tribe have deliberately avoided turning up for CCM award ceremonies in the past because they didn't want to knock a hole in their schools outreach schedule. The actual Tribe band members get paid the same wage as all the other people who work for the Message charity they represent. (Which isn't very much.)

I gues that means the Tribe aren't technically part of the CCM machine though...
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Stephen » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:29 am

A thing to be thankful for....A quote I read once...I rather liked....a high level man in CCM (who has sence for mainstreme music) Once said, the GMA awards do not stand for the gospel music awards....but rather the God moves away awards. I do get a laugh though when I see people say "I only listen to Christian music" Then list off bands that clearly state they are not a Christian band. (Blindside, POD etc) Sadly I find most CCM to be boring since it is 99% of the time trying to copy somthing succesful in the mainstreme. Original acts are hard to come by. Though I suppose the same could be said about the mainstreme...oh well, guess thats why I stay open minded towards music....
Stephen

Postby Shinja » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:52 pm

yeah ppersonlly to me christian music died in 1999, that was like the last year i saw christian bands putting out original music, and when i first saw bands useing the christian scean to just make money.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby madphilb » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:53 pm

So..... does this band have a Christian Worldview? (see, I'm not calling Christian Music ;) )

I think my sister got this album, might be something else... I'll have to check with her, I might have to borrow it for a listen.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Stephen » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:03 pm

Um...some of the members are Christian...and that comes out in there music. There songs range from topics of life, relationships etc. There music is also clean...fre of foul language.
Stephen

Postby CobaltAngel » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:29 pm

Yeah, Ben said on the thank yous of their CD "Jesus - your are all the life left in me", which I though was kinda cool. I know alot of singers say stuff like that just because they think that'll get them a wider audince, but like Shatterheart said, it shows in their music. Especially "Touriquent" and "Whisper"

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Kovyn Alander » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:22 pm

Like everyone else before me has said but I'll say it again, Evanescence: Fallen is a good CD. A friend burned a copy for me. (<.< >.> Shh!) The rock guitar is nice and the piano in it is beautiful. What I don't understand is the "My god, my tourniquette..." (spelling?) line. Some lyrics in music I just don't get. That's why I usually listen to lyric free music hence trance, techno, classical, etc. Anyone care to enlighten me on some of the lyrics?
One day an old man, Jesus and Moses were out playing golf. Moses hit the ball and it landed in a pond. Moses then raised his hands and parted the waters of the pond and struck his ball out from the bottom and walked out and the let the waters back down to normal. Jesus hit his ball and it landed in the same pond. So Jesus walked out onto the water. His ball floated up to the top and was then hit from atop the water to land on the green. The old man swung his club and hit his ball. It was headed for the same little pond but as it was about to splash down a frog appeared and swallowed the ball. At that same moment an eagle came down and snatched the frog. The eagle flew above course over to the green and dropped the frog next to the hole. The frog then spit the ball out into the hole for a hole-in-one. Jesus turned to the old man and said "Dad, if you don't quit doing that, we're not going to let you play with us anymore."

Kovyn Alander

Postby Stephen » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:35 pm

The song Tourniquet was originaly done by a group called Soul Embraced. The drummer of that band is the drummer for Evanescence now, Rocky Gray. (correct me if I am wrong as to what he did in SE I belive it was drums) Personaly, I always took the line, My God, My Tourniquet to mean that being a Christian...might not always make you friends, it might make you an outsider...but it is needed to save your soul. Just like a tourniquet saves your life but costs...if that makes any sence awesome...if not...just enjoy the music lol.
Stephen

Postby Kovyn Alander » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:44 pm

I see. That does make sense. I feel a little bit better about that song now. I couldn't figure if it was some kinda sumliminal message or what. It just confused me. I thank you for your insight.
One day an old man, Jesus and Moses were out playing golf. Moses hit the ball and it landed in a pond. Moses then raised his hands and parted the waters of the pond and struck his ball out from the bottom and walked out and the let the waters back down to normal. Jesus hit his ball and it landed in the same pond. So Jesus walked out onto the water. His ball floated up to the top and was then hit from atop the water to land on the green. The old man swung his club and hit his ball. It was headed for the same little pond but as it was about to splash down a frog appeared and swallowed the ball. At that same moment an eagle came down and snatched the frog. The eagle flew above course over to the green and dropped the frog next to the hole. The frog then spit the ball out into the hole for a hole-in-one. Jesus turned to the old man and said "Dad, if you don't quit doing that, we're not going to let you play with us anymore."

Kovyn Alander

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:53 pm

Evenesance...when a PAGAN band can be looked at as maybe christian, it just shows how our observation levels have slipped...
With your doubt, all is comfort
We are all as we appear
No more questions left unanswered
No more wonder, no more fear
Nothing is beauty, nothing's feeling
Blood where there once was a soul
So I ask you, prove yourself
Make me believe that you are whole
Zarn Ishtare

Postby Stephen » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:07 pm

Ok...I will try to keep my patience in this post...as you are only repeating what I have heard a thousand times before.

Evanescence does not want to be called a Christian band. They are not a Christian band...nobody considers them a Christian band...if you read what was posted in this thread you would see that I explained what happend with the band. They have a few Christian members...but if you asked any of the band members they would tell you that the band is not a Christian band. As is the case in hundreds of bands, it is possible to be a Christian and be in a rock band. I am quite curious as to your criteria for being a "Christian" band.

Now, as for your Pagan comment. I take it you are one of the types that thinks that everything that is not "Christian music" is evil? If that is the case, please throw away all your non-Christian movies, anime, and video games. As well as sports and television in general. Because as we all know, there is no Christian NFL. I really hope and pray that someday people see the error of trashing anything that is not called Christian by the little Christian top 40 stations that spend all there time copying what is successful in mainstreme music.

I am not trying to be rude about this...it just drives me up the wall when I see other Christians saying things like that....I for one, spoke about Evanescence because I enjoy them...and many other secular bands. I do not like trashy music, as far as lyrical stuff...but if you read my posts on the music board here you would see my taste in music. I think I get frustrated about this because I used to think this way. Serious...when I turned to the Lord...I would not listen to any secular music at all. Most Churches you go to will say how its evil and trash on it. One day I was listening to a Christian radio station...and a Christian DJ was slamming Evanescence...making stuff up about the band...just railing on them. (This was not that long ago come to think) and it made me sick....that a Christian would act that way. I have not listened to that radio show since (zjam) and do not plan on listening to it again. And it hit me...why do I limit myself on music?

Why do we limit music differently then we limit movies, TV, anime, or video games. Because we are told this by other people? Who has the right to say what is right and what is wrong for someone to enjoy? If you are convicted by mainstreme music...don't listen to it. If I was around someone that was bothered by it, I would not play it. But making comments like, there a pagan band...is just silly. A band is made up of people....doing a job. They make that music so they can make money. If you enjoy it, support them...if not, ignore them. Have I made any sort of a point?
Stephen

Postby Rachel » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:52 pm

i got fallen a few weeks after it first came out, and i agree that it is a wonderful cd. i don't really listen to christian music much because to me it seems that a lot of the so called "christian" artists out there are fake. just trying to make money off of something that i don't think should be used for personal gain. as to your post shatterheart, when did this dj make the comments about evenescence? i listen to zjam almost every week and i don't think i heard this. anyways, evenescence is one of my favorite bands and i will continue to support their music until someone gives me a valid reason not to.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Return to Jam Session