Incubus's "Megalomania"

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Incubus's "Megalomania"

Postby Kenchii » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:33 am

What do you think about the new song Megalomania from Incubus? Personaly I am not a big fan of there music, but I have seen there new video for Megalomania, that deals with Hitler, Bush, and Jesus. At the end of the video it shows a Bible saying.. Buy Bill. They are trying to make a political statment, I thought they were trying to say 'There is no such thing as Jesus' like we are putting Christianity on them. *them as in Americans.
Here are the lyrics if you arnt familliar with the song:

I hear you on the radio
You permeate my screen, its' unkind but
If I met you in a scissor fight
I'd cut off both your wings on principle alone
On principle alone

Hey megalomaniac
You're no Jesus
Yeah, you're no edit Elvis
Wash your hands clean of yourself baby
And just step down, step down, step down

If I were your appendages
I'd hold open your eyes
So you would see
That all of us are heaven sent
There was never meant to be only one
To be only one

Hey megalomaniac
You're no Jesus

Step down
Step down
Oh step down

Yeah
You're no Jesus
You're no Elvis
You're no Jesus
You're no Jesus
You're no Elvis
You're no answer

Step down, step down, step down
Step down

Hey megalomaniac
You're no Jesus

It seems its directed to Bush.. and his Megakinaiac ways.. humm
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby glitch1501 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:37 am

im not a fan of incubus at all, but do you remember the bible verse at the end of the song?

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Yamato145 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:14 pm

actually the bible at the end of the video said buy bull ... the statement is saying that christianity is "bull" (short for bull**** of course) and that is what your buying when you give money at church or just follow it all together. also ... i'm not sure about this but during the chorus i thought he was saying
hey megalomaniac
calling on Jesus
but you may be right on this one. but i know for a fact the bible said buy bull. of course you may have just typo-ed and im going on for no reason.
The loving, caring, and slightly bad-influencing father of 1balloonpopper and khakibluesocks!!!
Also I'm not sure how -_-' but somehow I am the Master and Father of Spectro-King according to his signature ... but hey I'm up for having a minion ... so jump stupid ... I'll have him keeeeel you
:evil: Evil child of Fantasy Dreamer and Dark Disturbed Grandchild of Cephas VII
On a quest to adopt Cephas
:dance: WACKY BANANA!!! :rock: ROCKER!!! :hug: glomp of DOOM!!!
Ive noticed something interesting, when a place is really amazing people say it must be seen to believed ... but the most amazing place ever must be believed to be seen.
kenshin: W_^Vx
Yamato145

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:00 pm

I ain't a fan of Incubus....:eyebrow: Sounds like they could be talking about Bush. o.O
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Stephen » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:40 pm

There new music is total crap, and I hope the band breaks up. lol. That song takes a shot at everything I happen to be and like. And on top of it all....they have changed there sound...they went from ok...to just downright crap.
Stephen

Postby Zilch » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:02 pm

I won't even start listening to a band with a name like that. Gross...
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:51 pm

Vash wrote:I won't even start listening to a band with a name like that. Gross...

Agreed. O_o;
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby DrNic » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:57 pm

Why? I like Incubus, Warning and Drive are amazing songs. *has a quick check around to see if anyones getting the chainsaw and cattle prod out*, what does the word Incubus mean anyway?
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:00 pm

To the best of my knowledge, an "incubus" is supposedly some kind of sexually abusive demon. o.O I could be wrong though.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Kenchii » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:02 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:To the best of my knowledge, an "incubus" is supposedly some kind of sexually abusive demon. o.O I could be wrong though.

Your saddly correct. :eyebrow:
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby Yamato145 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:37 pm

im with drnic ... drive is an awesome song!
does incubus really mean that
The loving, caring, and slightly bad-influencing father of 1balloonpopper and khakibluesocks!!!
Also I'm not sure how -_-' but somehow I am the Master and Father of Spectro-King according to his signature ... but hey I'm up for having a minion ... so jump stupid ... I'll have him keeeeel you
:evil: Evil child of Fantasy Dreamer and Dark Disturbed Grandchild of Cephas VII
Ive noticed something interesting, when a place is really amazing people say it must be seen to believed ... but the most amazing place ever must be believed to be seen.
Yamato145

Postby Zilch » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:45 pm

I concur.
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:58 pm

You can look up "incubus" at dictionary.com if you want.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nightshade X » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:18 pm

so... an incubus is basically the male version of a succubus, eh?
Nightshade X

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:19 pm

Ayup.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Rachel » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:03 am

i don't really like their name but drive is an awesome song and so are pardon me and the warmth.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby DrNic » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:30 am

so... an incubus is basically the male version of a succubus, eh?

You know, I was going to say the exact same thing. Wierd...
Well, there are other bands I like with dodgy names (E.g Black Sabbath) but I tend to stear clear of dodgy Albums not dodgy band names.
Take me

Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

DrNic

Postby RoyalWing » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:58 pm

this is from dictionary.com:
in·cu·bus ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nky-bs, ng-)
n. pl. in·cu·bus·es or in·cu·bi (-b)
An evil spirit supposed to descend upon and have sexual intercourse with women as they sleep.
A nightmare.
An oppressive or nightmarish burden.

\In"cu*bus\, n.; pl. E. Incubuses, L. Incubi. [L., the nightmare. Cf. Incubate.] 1. A demon; a fiend; a lascivious spirit, supposed to have sexual intercourse with women by night. --Tylor.

The devils who appeared in the female form were generally called succubi; those who appeared like men incubi, though this distinction was not always preserved. --Lecky.--------------
i agree with shatterheart. i turned on the tv to my music channel and there it was playing. i couldn't even understand what the singer was trying to say. all i got was a bunch of sacriligious imagery and the "YE HOLY BUY BULL" (after that i threw my apple at the tv...) before they had a slightly better songs. but now... this completely crossed them off on my list.
RoyalWing

Postby DrNic » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:36 pm

Well, there are other bands I like with dodgy names (E.g Black Sabbath) but I tend to stear clear of dodgy Albums not dodgy band names.

Actually I thought about this and I can think of some bands I would prefer not to hear based on their name (bands like... you know, I'm not even gonna tell you what its called, its just blasphemous, abominable at best and they sound like a pile of poo!). So sometimes I will stear clear of bands with dodgy names.

I think its dodgy lyrics that bug me the most though, some Metallica stuff is really dodgy. I'm actually selling one of my Metallica albums because of a song I don't agree with.
Take me

Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

DrNic

Postby Yamato145 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:54 pm

DrNic wrote:Actually I thought about this and I can think of some bands I would prefer not to hear based on their name (bands like... you know, I'm not even gonna tell you what its called, its just blasphemous, abominable at best and they sound like a pile of poo!). So sometimes I will stear clear of bands with dodgy names.

I think its dodgy lyrics that bug me the most though, some Metallica stuff is really dodgy. I'm actually selling one of my Metallica albums because of a song I don't agree with.

let me guess your selling master of puppets becuase of leper messiah ... if im right then i would like to say thta i wish there was a way to buy an album with one song completely removed so i could get a leper messiah-less master of puppets

edit: one group ive never even given a chance to because of there name is "manmade God"
Yamato145

Postby HwaRang777 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:49 pm

I really don't think that they were using the lyrics to degrade God, Jesus and the Christian Faith, but I think that it was saying like you're not as perfect as you think you are, and so I guess they used Jesus's name as a symbol of perfection, uno? But then again you're right, it could be used the other way, but I guess the only way to figure out what it really means is by asking the band.
HwaRang777

Postby Inferno » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:20 pm

Oh my goodness! I used to like the band! intill I heard what "incubus" means!*barfs all over the place*
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby RoyalWing » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:40 pm

lol! do you need a plastic bag?

i thought the song itself was rather bland. but the video... the video just ruined everything. i wonder though why they decided that name? maybe they thought that since no one thinks much of what band names mean they could use it (or... maybe i'm just making stuff up..) until someone watched "pop-up video" that is. that's where i first learned of the word meaning.
RoyalWing

Postby Uchiha chan » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:09 pm

Well, I must say that I absolutely adore "Megalomania" and all of Incubus' songs for that matter. I think that the whole music video was planned out really well, and I love the lyrics. And the name, very rad in my opinion. I love mythical beasts, and I think Incubus is a rather creative name.
Uchiha chan

Postby Zedian » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:07 pm

I use to like Incubus but this new album just isn't any good. It plays out too much like so much other alternative rock, and that first single isn't any good. For one, the band has no definitive reason to be protesting the way they are. They seem to ME to be classifying our troops as wrong for fighting in Iraq. I know oil is kind of the objective here but still, and their whole comparision of Hitler and a pastor is totally uncalled for in the video. I don't see how the church is brutally assaulting and killing anyone.

They just are another band that derives music as a form of rebellion without any just CAUSE or a some substantial education on what they are against. And the ending of the video with the whole bible just did it for me; I've lost any respect I had for this band.
Zedian

Postby DrNic » Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:01 pm

let me guess your selling master of puppets becuase of leper messiah ... if im right then i would like to say thta i wish there was a way to buy an album with one song completely removed so i could get a leper messiah-less master of puppets

Lol, actually no, it was the self named album Metallica because of 'The God that Failed', I didn't sell it in the end because I don't listen to that specific track anyway. I don't really listen to Metallica that much anyway at the mo, I'm in AFI mode and have been for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.
Take me

Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

DrNic

Return to Jam Session