Favorite Movie Soundtracks

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Favorite Movie Soundtracks

Postby Maledicte » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:40 pm

I've seen a lot of "What's your favorite anime soundtracks?" threads so I thought that a thread for movie soundtracks--animated or not--was in order.

My picks:

Black Hawk Down by Hans Zimmer. One of the first soundtracks I owned. I love the blend of tribal elements, orchestra and rock--fits the movie perfectly and sounds dang good while doing it. I also like his Gladiator soundtrack but since I don't have it this one made the list.

The Lord of the Rings soundtracks. This one goes without saying--making distinct themes for each race/main character, but keeping them consistent and actually gets better with each movie.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney). Possibly my favorite Disney soundtrack. It's one of the most authentic-sounding Disney soundtracks, in my opinion. Then again, I am a sucker for Latin masses and the like, plus the music itself melds so well with the story. Plus it just gives me chills hearing "In Excelsis" being sung when Quasimodo shouts "Sanctuary!" *tingles* good stuff.

A Hard Day's Night and HELP!-- the Beatles. Yes I like the Beatles and yes I like these movies. *cough* Carry on...

Amadeus/Immortal Beloved--it's almost unfair to put these as favorites, as they were both written by the great composers Mozart and Beethoven, respectively. Alternately, they work as greatest hits albums.

So what are all yours?
Maledicte

Postby Joshua Christopher » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:43 pm

Oh, let's see.

"Enemy of the State"

"Fight Club"

"Kill Bill"

"Pulp Fiction"

"Man on Fire"

And I'll include the Metal Gear games, since they're more movie than actual game. : P
Joshua Christopher

Postby meboeck » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:38 pm

"Lord of the Rings" and "Star Wars." Hands down. And I like the music from "Pirates of the Carribean." And this isn't a movie, but there's a British animated Christmas short called "The Snowman" that has some of the most beautiful music. The short doesn't have words, so the music really does all the talking.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Nate » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:46 pm

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. That's really the only movie soundtrack I own.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Locke » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:37 pm

Garden State, my all time favorite soundtrack.
Second has to be the Star Wars A New Hope SD.
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Arnobius » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:41 pm

Last of the Mohicans, Conan the Barbarian, Black Robe
Arnobius

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:45 pm

Lord of the Rings
The Lion King
Star Wars
Mulan
The Matrix
Godzilla

I'm sure there are many others, but I can't think of them at the moment.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Joshua Christopher » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:48 pm

kaemmerite wrote:Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. That's really the only movie soundtrack I own.

Morris Day and the TIME!

Great movie.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Maledicte » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:21 pm

meboeck wrote: And this isn't a movie, but there's a British animated Christmas short called "The Snowman" that has some of the most beautiful music. The short doesn't have words, so the music really does all the talking.

I remember that cartoon! About 20 minutes long...I haven't watched that since I was little. (very, very little.) You're right though, it had some amazing music, piano if I remember correctly.
Maledicte

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:35 pm

I hope I didn't get rid of that tape.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby meboeck » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:57 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Mulan

That does have a very good soundtrack. I have never actually seen the whole movie, only parts, so it slipped my mind.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Alice » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:31 am

You've Got Mail, I like the music to that. Star Wars is classic. And I kinda like the music to Conan the Barbarian, even though I never watched the movie.

I'm sure there are more... :/
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Stephen » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:11 pm

Pulp Fictions was good. As was Gladiator...LOTR. The Metal Gear games had amazing soundtracks. And yes, Kill Bill.
Stephen

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:23 pm

O Brother Where are Thou's was lots of fun.
SirThinks2Much wrote:Amadeus/Immortal Beloved--it's almost unfair to put these as favorites, as they were both written by the great composers Mozart and Beethoven, respectively. Alternately, they work as greatest hits albums.

The Ode to Joy is amazing. Two years ago, I played with a college Choir and Orchestra that did a night of movie music, and they performed the Ode to Joy with scenes from Immortal Beloved. I ended up back-bench in the string section frantically scrambling to keep up, but it was incredible having the choir and orchestra in surround-sound playing through the song. Especially when the entire choir comes in after the quiet bit with the horn. I've loved the song ever since, I really should get that soundtrack..
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:41 pm

Sorry for pulling up such an old thread, but I thought the topic was interesting enough to warrant that. Here are my favorite soundtracks:

The Lord of the Rings - I still marvel at how perfectly they managed to do everything with those movies. Not only were the effects and acting and all that perfect, but they even got the perfect man to do the soundtrack. I have yet to hear another soundtrack that is as good as this one.

Star Wars - Classic, as has been said before. Duel of the Fates! *dies with happiness*

The Last Samurai - I bought this one sort of on a whim, and it's become one of my favorites. It's a very mellow soundtrack, most of the time, giving a very tangible feeling of tranquility and honor. The last track is especially beautiful, I think.

The Village - Oh man, I want this so bad! The violin solos are so heartwrenchingly beautiful, it makes me cry.

Braveheart - Celtic music at its best ^_^

Signs - I thought it was very interesting that the music for the entire movie was centered around a theme of three notes. It was amazing how the music could portray everything from fear to hope with just those three notes.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby KagayakiWashi » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:54 am

To clarify things, I am referring to "film scores" and not "soundtracks" since they are different in some cases.

Batman - Danny Elfman
Vertigo - Bernard Herrmann
Raiders of the Lost Ark - John Williams
Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - Alan Silvestri
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Ennio Morricone
The Day the Earth Stood Still - Bernard Herrmann
You Only Live Twice - John Barry
Thunderball - John Barry
Hook - John Williams
My Name is Nobody - Ennio Morricone
Alexander Nevsky - Sergei Prokofiev
Star Wars Episde V: The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams
Unbreakable - James Newton Howard
The Untouchables - Ennio Morricone
The Nightmare Before Christmas - Danny Elfman
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby That Dude » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:51 am

Once.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Tarnish » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:24 am

That Dude (post: 1266338) wrote:Once.

Someone got to it before I could...

I own a few soundtracks, but I only really listen to this one.
Tarnish

Postby GeneD » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:53 am

Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and Pirates, as already mentioned. I also like the Shrek (first movie) and 10 Things I Hate about You soundtracks. You've Got Mail also has some very cute songs.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:11 pm

That Dude (post: 1266338) wrote:Once.

Tarnish (post: 1266346) wrote:Someone got to it before I could...

I own a few soundtracks, but I only really listen to this one.

^That. Both of these. XD I don't usually listen to instrumental music very often, though I do appreciate it when I hear it. Regardless, Once's soundtrack is amazing, and I went on to buy The Swell Season's album after I heard it. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Michiru_Waknaka » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:16 pm

I find the scores for Hayao Miyazaki's movies are breathtaking. My favorite, which I own, is Princess Mononoke. Next I'd have to say Howl's Moving Castle, and after that, Castle in the Sky. Joe Hisaishi is incredible! ^_^
So, I guess my favorite shape is a circle. I'd like squares too, if they were round.

I got's a DeviantArt!:
http://toki-no-kishi.deviantart.com/

Have a nice day, kids, and remember, Akito Sohma is watching you! 0_o
Michiru_Waknaka

Postby Kkun » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:50 pm

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. It's extremely moody and fits the tone of the film very well. It's very reminiscent of Cave and Ellis' more somber work with The Bad Seeds.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby That Dude » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:58 am

Well this is kinda an anime but, Advent Children's OST is butt kickin'
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Return to Jam Session