Help me find some new bands...

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Help me find some new bands...

Postby mai » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:17 pm

I'm running out of bands to look into, can you give me some ideas?
I really like Muse, The Birthday Massacre [walking with strangers], Rock Kills Kid.
I really like techno and hard rock and interesting/thought provoking lyrics.
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:24 pm

Interesting/Thought Provoking lyrics = Thrice.

Also, check out The Dear Hunter. They're amazing.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:36 pm

I would suggest you check out Bella Morte, The Awakening, Clan Of Xymox, Leper, Skinny Puppy, Collide, Switchblade Symphony, All Gone Dead, Headnoise, and The Brothers Martin.
GhostontheNet

Postby Kkun » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:59 pm

SHOWBREAD. LISTEN TO SHOWBREAD.

http://www.myspace.com/showbread

They have not one but TWO new albums coming out on May 13. If you like techno and hard rock, they should be right up your alley. They are essentially Refused-esque punk rock with a heavy emphasis on synthesizer and dark, literarily informed lyrics from a Christian perspective that explore issues of God, existence, and things like that. They are amazing. Listen to them.

And that's the end of my commercial.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby ich1990 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:08 am

For Techno/Hard Rock, I would recommend Skillet's "Alien Youth". It is an excellent Cd by one of my favorite christian bands.

Here is a music video for the title track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyfJgxAxq8w

And my favorite song on the CD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ed8IH3Xk0o
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Danderson » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:05 am

I know a good techno/rock group: Eleventyseven....

Though, the rock is more Relient K, but still a very amazing infusion of techno and rock......

Wait....Is Relient K hard rock?
Danderson

Postby chibiphonebooth » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:27 am

showbread, the shins, mew, mewithoutyou, mute math, paramore, storyside: B, he is legend....

thrice is freaking awesome.

some of those i recommended aren't reallly hard rock.. but they are AWESOME. XD
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:34 am

Thrice without a doubt should be listened to by everyone. Stunning material. Also Mutemath is pretty great not hardrock but still great and Showbread i will agree with also
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby mai » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:13 am

Thanks for all the suggestions ^-^

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

• Loss of motivation

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby Tommy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:17 pm

Danderson (post: 1221635) wrote:I know a good techno/rock group: Eleventyseven....

Though, the rock is more Relient K, but still a very amazing infusion of techno and rock......

Wait....Is Relient K hard rock?

No..
Relient K is more just pop rock or pop punk.
I consider hard rock to be bands like Demon Hunter, 12 Stones, heavier moments of Alter Bridge, ect.

I personally despise eleventyseven with a passion that burns like the light of a million suns but if you like them more power to ya!:thumb:
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Thu May 01, 2008 6:38 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"]---->DEMON HUNTER<----

Project 86
Pillar
Disciple
As I Lay Dying.[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby TalKeaton » Fri May 02, 2008 6:48 am

The Classic Crime is good stuff, probably not 'hard rock' per se but their next album (due sometime this summer...) is going to be closer to that than their previous album and EP.

BTW, if you do look into them, get both Albatross and Seattle Sessions. They're different, but amazing.
TalKeaton

Postby everdred12a » Fri May 02, 2008 7:52 pm

If you're into some techno/rock, you might wanna look into some Industrial bands. Good ones to start with are Celldweller and Circle of Dust, IMO. Maybe even Stabbing Westward, if you're into the really dark stuff.

If you can get past the language, Kyuss is a great hard rock band that set the stage for many hard rock bands in their area of the nation. Queens of the Stone Age is a good band to look into as well, especially their older work (Rated R and Songs for the Deaf, specifically, and if you can find it, their self-titled is good, too). cKy isn't bad either, but you have to get around a bit of language sometimes with them, too, albeit nowhere near as much as with Kyuss. Older mewithoutYou (specifically, A->B Life) can be pretty heavy, too.

Also, I know I'm gonna hear something about it, but I think Thrice has been on a steady decline in terms of the quality of their music ever since they released Vheissu. I wouldn't bother with the Alchemy Indexes or with Vheissu, and go directly for their older stuff if you really wanna get into Thrice.

(forgive me if this post lacks structure, I'm just writing things as I see bands in my iTunes library @.@)

everdred12a

Postby Kkun » Sat May 03, 2008 7:20 am

everdred12a (post: 1222629) wrote:Also, I know I'm gonna hear something about it, but I think Thrice has been on a steady decline in terms of the quality of their music ever since they released Vheissu. I wouldn't bother with the Alchemy Indexes or with Vheissu, and go directly for their older stuff if you really wanna get into Thrice.

>_> When have you actually LISTENED to all of The Alchemy Indexes? They're great. And Vheissu is a masterpiece. It's different from the old stuff, but I like it better than Artist in the Ambulance.
Kkun

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat May 03, 2008 11:20 am

everdred12a (post: 1222629) wrote:Also, I know I'm gonna hear something about it, but I think Thrice has been on a steady decline in terms of the quality of their music ever since they released Vheissu. I wouldn't bother with the Alchemy Indexes or with Vheissu, and go directly for their older stuff if you really wanna get into Thrice.

I dunno, I liked Vheissu and I recently bought vols. I-IV of The Alchemy Index, and it's getting to be one of my favorite album purchases yet. Sure, they've come a long way since Stare Into the Sun, but the stuff on those four albums is absolutely great. I'd recommend it wholeheartedly, anyways. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby animewarrior » Sat May 03, 2008 11:27 am

FALLING UP. End of Story. I LOVE THEM...they really make you think and best of all they are CHRISTIAN...wahahahhahaha...here's a link to their newest music video and an AMV I made for Kadaj to one of their songs...XD hope you like.

New Music Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyHHtn1o7QY

AMV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joi9ewDBFno
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby Tommy » Sat May 03, 2008 3:09 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1222730) wrote:I dunno, I liked Vheissu and I recently bought vols. I-IV of The Alchemy Index, and it's getting to be one of my favorite album purchases yet. Sure, they've come a long way since Stare Into the Sun, but the stuff on those four albums is absolutely great. I'd recommend it wholeheartedly, anyways. XD

I like all the CDs by Thrice.
Even "First Impressions" was awesome all the way to "Earth."

Just an all around great band.

You should listen to Anberlin or Emery?
I've been listening to them alot recently.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby everdred12a » Mon May 05, 2008 4:40 pm

Kkun (post: 1222703) wrote:...

>_> When have you actually LISTENED to all of The Alchemy Indexes? They're great. And Vheissu is a masterpiece. It's different from the old stuff, but I like it better than Artist in the Ambulance.

The live show we went to. Sure, it wasn't all of I & II, but what I heard I wasn't imprssed with. After two albums I've not been satisfied with, I don't really see a reason to buy another one.

Case in point, I'm not looking to argue about Thrice. I'm just saying that I'm not too impressed with their recent works, and until they give me a reason to, I'm not going to follow Thrice's music.

Tom wrote:You should listen to Anberlin or Emery?

I wouldn't have really called Anberlin hard rock, but I will say that Cities is a great record that I've been listening to quite a bit lately, and Blueprints for the Black Market is pretty good, too. Both are definitely worth checking out. I'd also highly recommend the limited edition of Cities if you can find it... it's been awhile since it was released. (And no, I wasn't particularly fond of NTFP, before anyone asks.)

everdred12a

Postby Tommy » Mon May 05, 2008 9:46 pm

I misread.
I never meant to label Anberlin hard rock.

Demon Hunter, then?
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby Kkun » Mon May 05, 2008 9:58 pm

everdred12a (post: 1223328) wrote:The live show we went to. Sure, it wasn't all of I & II, but what I heard I wasn't imprssed with. After two albums I've not been satisfied with, I don't really see a reason to buy another one.

Case in point, I'm not looking to argue about Thrice. I'm just saying that I'm not too impressed with their recent works, and until they give me a reason to, I'm not going to follow Thrice's music.

TL;DR

Until you listen to the Alchemy Index as a whole, you are not qualified to speak on the subject. Seeing a couple of songs live is not the same.

Also, are you including Vheissu in the albums you didn't like, because I thought you enjoyed that one? It was the one you used to get me listening to Thrice.
Kkun

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue May 06, 2008 2:46 pm

I highly recommend As Cities Burn. Especially their first album, Son I Loved You At Your Darkest. Amazing stuff.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby EricTheFred » Wed May 07, 2008 7:57 am

As a fusion jazz and classical music junkie (with occasional J-pop and J-rock interests) I am 100 per cent unqualified to offer any suggestions. I just want to say...

I love reading through threads like this, just for the band names. It's a form of entertainment all its own.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby ich1990 » Wed May 07, 2008 4:03 pm

SpoonyBard (post: 1223646) wrote:I highly recommend As Cities Burn. Especially their first album, Son I Loved You At Your Darkest. Amazing stuff.

Seconded and linked.

One of my all time favorite bands. They have great music and even better lyrics.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu May 08, 2008 12:51 pm

Hard rock? I recommend Led Zeppelin.

Techno? I recommend Daft Punk.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby mai » Tue May 13, 2008 12:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm really liking mewithoutyou ^-^

• Loss of motivation

mai

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue May 13, 2008 12:54 pm

mewithoutYou is amazing. By all rights, I should hate them, but they blow me away.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Tommy » Thu May 15, 2008 3:01 pm

The Receiving End of Sirens was an excellent band.
They were a local band from around my area that got huge and had their farewell show about a week.
They're awesome guys.

This is their first music video that got airtime on MTV and Fuse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhJ3UO2ItqI

Don't be turned off by the fact I watched this band become big, they are really unique and experimental.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Return to Jam Session