Trance anyone?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:14 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1207850) wrote:Perhaps something similar to this?
Enter Shikari - Johnny Sniper

And my apologies to Ghostonthenet and Tom. I was under the impression that Digital Hardcore encompassed Hardcore Trance/Techno/Acid/etc in general, not how you described it.
Not quite, although I did rather enjoy that video. That band seems to be part of a fresh revival of New Wave musicians like The Brothers Martin who want to prove that synthlines inspired by New Order merge seemlessly with Alternative Rock. The Digital Hardcore sound is much better captured in this video: Atari Teenage Riot - Deutschland, which I warn contains some profanity. I'm glad I was able to clear up confusion about the difference between Digital Hardcore and Hardcore Techno.
GhostontheNet

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:57 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1207874) wrote:Much superior electronic Castle in the Sky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hMXtZq3Peo&NR=1

I found that the other day and couldn't stop listening to it xD

DJ Satomi is good, but no way was he as prominent as Ian Van Dahl. However, I do like the synthesized voice that DJ Satomi uses. And on that note, I like Dj Satomi's "Waves" a little bit more than "Castle in the Sky".
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby everdred12a » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:20 pm

GhostontheNet (post: 1207885) wrote:The Digital Hardcore sound is much better captured in this video: Atari Teenage Riot - Deutschland

Wow... that video's such a trip @.@ Really interesting music, though. I think I'd like to look into this group some more.

Radical Dreamer wrote:Please do not turn this thread into another "lol which genre is it" debate.

Tom wrote:So XQuicksilverX doesn't count?
http://www.myspace.com/xquicksilverxboston

That sounds like how I would picture Digital Hardcore to sound like.

1) Take straight edge hardcore
2) add breaks
3) ?????
4) PROFIT

But, jokes aside, if I was more into this kind of hardcore, I think I'd like this band more. I'm not saying it's bad, just not my kind of stuff. Same goes for Sky Eats Airplane.

everdred12a

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:08 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1207874) wrote:Much superior electronic Castle in the Sky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hMXtZq3Peo&NR=1

I found that the other day and couldn't stop listening to it xD

I love that song so much ^ ^ After I found it, I looked up some other stuff from Satomi and found Waves and Wonderland. After MSP suggesting Waves to me, I gave it another listen ^ ^

I'm really big on Techno. If anyone does have any suggestions, please let me know ^ ^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Tommy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:46 am

everdred12a (post: 1207920) wrote:Wow... that video's such a trip @.@ Really interesting music, though. I think I'd like to look into this group some more.

1) Take straight edge hardcore
2) add breaks
3) ?????
4) PROFIT

But, jokes aside, if I was more into this kind of hardcore, I think I'd like this band more. I'm not saying it's bad, just not my kind of stuff. Same goes for Sky Eats Airplane.

Quicksilver is one dude not that it matters.

I love Enter Shikari!
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:56 am

As far as my electronica tastes goes i love basically anything by andy hunter. Also Black audio (big must look up for afi fans) is a really good electronica band formed from punk band AFI. Echoing Green is really good as well
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:28 pm

Having seen some really interesting Youtube videos posted here, I thought this would be a good time to post some of my own favorite electronic music videos. If the mods or admins find any of these videos inappropriate to be posted on the forums, please just remove those videos and leave the rest intact.

Electro-Goth

Clan Of Xymox - Weak In My Knees
The Last Dance - Once Beautiful
In Strict Confidence - Promised Land
E Nomine - Mitternacht
L'âme Immortelle - In The Heart Of Europe

Industrial/EBM (Electro Body Music)

Front 242 - Rhythm Of Time
Front Line Assembly - Mindphaser
Front Line Assembly - Epitaph (Contains Violent Content)
Skinny Puppy - Testure (Contains Violent Content and Profanity)
Grendel - New Flesh (Ghost In The Shell AMV, Contains Violent Content)
And One - Military Fashion Show

Darkwave

Leper - Black Lacey Veil
Clan Of Xymox - Imagination
Lycia - Estrella
Bella Morte - On The Edge
Simple Shelter - Through The Fires
The Machine In The Garden - Control
Screaming For Emily - Deity
Simple Shelter - System Error

New Wave/Post-Punk

Siouxsie - Into A Swan
Joy Division - Isolation
The Police - Invisible Sun
Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime
She Wants Revenge - True Romance

Electro/Synthpop

The Human League - Don't You Want Me?
New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
The Echoing Green - Yesterday's Taking Over
Freezepop - Less Talk More Rokk (Contains Profanity)
Joy Electric - Children Of The Lord

Noise/Power Noise

Skinny Puppy - Harsh Stone White
Skinny Puppy - VX Gas Attack (Contains Violent Content)
Terrorfakt - Damage (Contains Violent Content)

Futurepop

VNV Nation - Testament
Pride And Fall - Border
Apoptygma Berzerk - Until The End Of The World

Ambient

Brian Eno - Music For Airports
The Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms (Commercial Version)
The Future Sound of London - Cascade
Steve Roach - Live at Grace Cathedral
Biosphere - In Triple Time

Electronic World Fusion

Brian Eno & David Byrne - America Is Waiting
The Future Sound Of London - My Kingdom
Dead Can Dance - Yulunga (Spirit Dance)
Azam Ali - Endless Reverie
Dead Can Dance - The Host Of Seraphim

Edit: Strange, not all of the links were converted although the coding is accurate. Could any of the mods look into this or explain why the system left them unconverted?

<Mod note: The last url didn't have [/ url], just [ url]. Fixed. XD >
GhostontheNet

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:06 pm

Where's Aqua fit in all of these? I shamefully admit Aqua is a guilty pleasure of mine. Dr. Jones, Lollipop, Cartoon Heroes, and yes... Barbie Girl :red: I always thought of them as electronic/dance but after going through these I'm not sure what category they fall into... and they don't sound as "electronic" as I once thought.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby SnoringFrog » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:12 pm

I'm into trance/techno/electronica stuff somewhat, but I'm vastly lacking of knowledge regarding them, so I really don't know what it is I even like exactly...no bands/artists come to mind, it's all just random stuff I've heard here and there. Although the majority of it is from ocremix.org, which is a video game remix website, not strictly electronica, but there's a good amount of it, at least in what I've downloaded.

I do really like this stuff though, although I think I prefer it all w/o lyrics. I just don't have time to try and learn all these genres/subgenres, the ones encompassed in my normal style of music have me confused enough already...lol.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:27 pm

"I'm a barbie girl.. in a barbie world.. " I like that song to ^_^ it's a fun song ^ ^ I would say that goes under dance/techno o.o? I'm not sure what the exact name would be, but yeah ^ ^ I love dance/techno remixes to J-pop songs and game songs ^ ^ I did a song meme on LJ and my opening song was the Legend Of Zelda DDR remix :lol:
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby everdred12a » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:16 pm

SnoringFrog (post: 1208365) wrote:I'm into trance/techno/electronica stuff somewhat, but I'm vastly lacking of knowledge regarding them, so I really don't know what it is I even like exactly...no bands/artists come to mind, it's all just random stuff I've heard here and there. Although the majority of it is from ocremix.org, which is a video game remix website, not strictly electronica, but there's a good amount of it, at least in what I've downloaded.

I do really like this stuff though, although I think I prefer it all w/o lyrics. I just don't have time to try and learn all these genres/subgenres, the ones encompassed in my normal style of music have me confused enough already...lol.

http://www.di.fm

It's a free radio station that offers a number of different genres of music. Just listen around, see what you like. I know you said that you don't like vocal tracks, but my favorite stations are Vocal Trance, Trance, and Hardcore stations.

Tsukuyomi wrote:"I'm a barbie girl.. in a barbie world.. " I like that song to ^_^ it's a fun song ^ ^ I would say that goes under dance/techno o.o? I'm not sure what the exact name would be, but yeah ^ ^ I love dance/techno remixes to J-pop songs and game songs ^ ^ I did a song meme on LJ and my opening song was the Legend Of Zelda DDR remix

I'm not the king of genres or anything, but I'd call it dance, maybe techno.

everdred12a

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:12 pm

Aqua best fits in the Euro-dance and Teen Pop genres, and Barbie Girl has fun melodies. However, the moral bankruptcy of the song make it one of the most viral pieces of music to infect the Western mind since Madonna stole the image of the Punk band The Slits along with their phrase "We're not material girls" to glorify crass materialism in her "Material Girl" single. The lyrics of Barbie Girl self-consciously glorify mindless consumerism and apathetic sexual hedonism. The narrator in this persona of this "barbie girl" talks about going for a joyride (in more ways than one) with her Ken around a "plastic world" (i.e. the world of mass-manufactured consumer products). She's so very very happy in her world of pink plastic glamour she even invites her Ken to "undress me everywhere", "do whatever you please" and do "the hanky-panky". I don't know about you guys, but for all I care "Barbie girls" and their so-called natural beauty can just snap by their twelve-inch waists and let their precious array of consumer products go to the Goodwill to do this world the good they neglected in life. Much better is the vision of beauty in the Gothic subculture, which offers an unnatural beauty attainable by everyone that reminds us that beauty, like life, if fleeting.
GhostontheNet

Postby everdred12a » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:58 pm

GhostontheNet (post: 1208446) wrote:Aqua best fits in the Euro-dance and Teen Pop genres, and Barbie Girl has fun melodies. However, the moral bankruptcy of the song make it one of the most viral pieces of music to infect the Western mind since Madonna stole the image of the Punk band The Slits along with their phrase "We're not material girls" to glorify crass materialism in her "Material Girl" single. The lyrics of Barbie Girl self-consciously glorify mindless consumerism and apathetic sexual hedonism. The narrator in this persona of this "barbie girl" talks about going for a joyride (in more ways than one) with her Ken around a "plastic world" (i.e. the world of mass-manufactured consumer products). She's so very very happy in her world of pink plastic glamour she even invites her Ken to "undress me everywhere", "do whatever you please" and do "the hanky-panky". I don't know about you guys, but for all I care "Barbie girls" and their so-called natural beauty can just snap by their twelve-inch waists and let their precious array of consumer products go to the Goodwill to do this world the good they neglected in life. Much better is the vision of beauty in the Gothic subculture, which offers an unnatural beauty attainable by everyone that reminds us that beauty, like life, if fleeting.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

everdred12a

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:51 am

GhostontheNet (post: 1208446) wrote:Aqua best fits in the Euro-dance and Teen Pop genres, and Barbie Girl has fun melodies. However, the moral bankruptcy of the song make it one of the most viral pieces of music to infect the Western mind since Madonna stole the image of the Punk band The Slits along with their phrase "We're not material girls" to glorify crass materialism in her "Material Girl" single. The lyrics of Barbie Girl self-consciously glorify mindless consumerism and apathetic sexual hedonism. The narrator in this persona of this "barbie girl" talks about going for a joyride (in more ways than one) with her Ken around a "plastic world" (i.e. the world of mass-manufactured consumer products). She's so very very happy in her world of pink plastic glamour she even invites her Ken to "undress me everywhere", "do whatever you please" and do "the hanky-panky". I don't know about you guys, but for all I care "Barbie girls" and their so-called natural beauty can just snap by their twelve-inch waists and let their precious array of consumer products go to the Goodwill to do this world the good they neglected in life. Much better is the vision of beauty in the Gothic subculture, which offers an unnatural beauty attainable by everyone that reminds us that beauty, like life, if fleeting.

Lol, I agree but their music videos were great xD.
Scarecrow

Postby everdred12a » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:56 pm

*Performs CPR on thread*

Anyone ever listen to any Deadsy? They play synth-backed goth rock, which comes together to make a good sound, only complemented further by singer Elijah Blue's (Lol, he's Cher's son) deep, baritone voice. Good stuff, give 'em a listen if you have a few minutes free:

Deadsy - The Key to Gramercy Park (Warning: explicit)
Deadsy - Babes in Abyss

everdred12a

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:19 pm

everdred12a (post: 1208972) wrote:*Performs CPR on thread*

Anyone ever listen to any Deadsy? They play synth-backed goth rock, which comes together to make a good sound, only complemented further by singer Elijah Blue's (Lol, he's Cher's son) deep, baritone voice. Good stuff, give 'em a listen if you have a few minutes free:

Deadsy - Babes in Abyss
Wow, that's a really slick Darkwave band! For those not in the know, Darkwave takes its name from musicians like Clan Of Xymox and other bands on 4AD Records that fused musical ideas of the Gothic genre with New Wave music to deliver Synthesizer driven vibes of Dark Romanticism. I've already posted quite a few videos of my favorite Darkwave musicians, which I think you would enjoy listening to.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:11 pm

SnoringFrog (post: 1208365) wrote:I'm into trance/techno/electronica stuff somewhat, but I'm vastly lacking of knowledge regarding them, so I really don't know what it is I even like exactly...no bands/artists come to mind, it's all just random stuff I've heard here and there. Although the majority of it is from ocremix.org, which is a video game remix website, not strictly electronica, but there's a good amount of it, at least in what I've downloaded.

So, in other words, you're looking for suggestions for a good starting place to get into Electronic music? For music suitable for Video Gaming, I would suggest purchasing any/all the following.

The Future Sound Of London - Accelerator
Front Line Assembly - Artificial Soldier
Juno Reactor - Labyrinth
The Brothers Martin - The Brothers Martin
GhostontheNet

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:19 pm

*Performs CPR on thread*

Deadsy - Babes in Abyss

Oo I like them... I'll have to look into them some. I never knew Cher had a son :P I knew she had a daughter but that was it.
Scarecrow

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:29 pm

I've been wondering, who here likes Joy Electric and The Echoing Green?
GhostontheNet

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:45 am

I like the album of echoing green i have. Its winter of disconntent (can't spell XD)

GrubbTheFragger

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:33 am

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1210293) wrote:I like the album of echoing green i have. Its winter of disconntent (can't spell XD)
The Winter of Our Discontent is my favorite too. The atmospheric synthwork on it is incredible. If you get the chance, you may want to get The Story of Our Lives single, which picks up where The Winter of Our Discontent left off.
GhostontheNet

Postby everdred12a » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:39 am

I haven't heard of them before. I'll have to check back on your post full of video links and stuff when I get a chance.

everdred12a

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:37 pm

everdred12a (post: 1210305) wrote:I haven't heard of them before. I'll have to check back on your post full of video links and stuff when I get a chance.
You haven't heard of which? Clan Of Xymox, Joy Electric, or The Echoing Green? Whichever it is, I've posted videos of each of these bands in my music video post.
GhostontheNet

Postby everdred12a » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:36 pm

GhostontheNet (post: 1210349) wrote:You haven't heard of which? Clan Of Xymox, Joy Electric, or The Echoing Green? Whichever it is, I've posted videos of each of these bands in my music video post.

All three, to be honest, but I know they're all likely in the video post, so I'll check them out soon enough.

everdred12a

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:16 am

I've checked out Echoing Green before. While I did like their song, "Suffering", didn't care for much of the rest of what I heard.

Anyone here of the Klaxons? They're pretty good IMO. A bit weird but their songs are so addicting. My favorites: Magick and Golden Skans. I only started listening to them a couple months ago so I'm really not familiar with them much but anyway...
Scarecrow

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:04 am

GhostontheNet (post: 1210301) wrote:The Winter of Our Discontent is my favorite too. The atmospheric synthwork on it is incredible. If you get the chance, you may want to get The Story of Our Lives single, which picks up where The Winter of Our Discontent left off.

Story of our lives? You mean the song or an actual album? And anyone here but me a fan on Blaqk Audio?

GrubbTheFragger

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:42 am

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1210633) wrote:Story of our lives? You mean the song or an actual album?
They released an entire single album built on remixes of The Story of our Lives, although the work as a whole basically continues where The Winter of our Discontent left off and contains excellent remixes of other songs from Winter, as well as newer material like Seaside and a cover of Wolfsheim's The Sparrows and the Nightingales.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:40 pm

GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:53 pm

Oh, by the way, has anyone seen Strong Bad's commentary on Techno music at Homestarrunner.com? If you haven't, you can watch it here.
GhostontheNet

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:56 pm

Oh, I really like Ayla.
Angel Falls is my favorite trance song.
I think 'Inner Universe' by Origa is in the thbe category....I really like that song too. Some people refer to it as 'Aeria Gloris'. It's one of the theme songs from 'Ghost in the Shell'.
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Previous

Return to Jam Session