Where to begin? ((learning death metal vocals and bass))

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Where to begin? ((learning death metal vocals and bass))

Postby SnoringFrog » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:19 pm

So, my friends recently re-started their band ((currently unnamed due to the old name apparently being taken by several other bands on Myspace)), and they want me to do vocals. We're supposed to be death metal, and I know I can scream just fine, so I've got that down, but they're wanting primarily gutturals and more sounds like that, which I'm not as good at, I was wondering if there's anyone out there that can give any suggestions for how to improve?

In addition, they want me to learn to play bass too, but idk if I coudl do vox and that, they haven't seen the way I like to move when singing, but I know I couldn't do it w/ a bass, I'd still like to learn for some songs though, so if anyone has tips on that, they'd be much appreciated.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:06 pm

This isn't a very good place to be asking that. You'd be better off using http://www.firestream.net since there's a good amount of people there who can do that. I would help you myself, but I can't play bass (yet) or do vocals at all. I can, however, give you a ton of excellent bands to check out if you want since I'm pretty much the authority on metal and underground music in general here, especially the more extreme stuff.
Eric

Postby Tommy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:49 pm

I agree with Eric.
Listen to some extreme stuff and get inspired.

I practice by listening to tons of different bands and trying to mirror their vocals.

If I can do all different kinds, then my range is improved.

I have my main style, but it's helpful knowing others.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby SnoringFrog » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:09 pm

Well, I didn't know where to ask, so I figured I'd stick it here. Thanks for the link though, I didn't even think to look for a place like that.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
SnoringFrog

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:48 pm

No problem. I'm more active there than any of the other forums I'm on. If you join, my s/n is Zhou Tai 04. Here are some to start you out (use http://www.metal-archives.com to look them up):

Pavor
The Amenta
Disavowed
Suffocation
Lykathea Aflame
Novembers Doom
Wormed
Sympathy
Kronos (Fra)
Esoteric (UK)
Sarpanitum
Swallow the Sun
Despised Icon
Augury (Can)
Soils of Fate
Demiurg (Swe)
Evoken
Gorod
Pantokrator (Swe)

That should give you a good idea of most of the different styles and ranges.
Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:54 pm

Oh and in case you have any aversions to listening to anti-Christian/Satanic stuff, you don't have to worry because none of those are like that. I do listen to a lot of it, though, but most of it is black metal and old school death metal.

Have your friends listen to them as well. Hearing the bands I listed should make them really want to push themselves to get better.
Eric

Postby Tommy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:54 pm

That's a good list.
I remember not liking Wormed last time I listened to them, but I'll give them another chance.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby SnoringFrog » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:49 pm

Eric wrote:Oh and in case you have any aversions to listening to anti-Christian/Satanic stuff, you don't have to worry because none of those are like that. I do listen to a lot of it, though, but most of it is black metal and old school death metal.

Have your friends listen to them as well. Hearing the bands I listed should make them really want to push themselves to get better.

Due to what rules my parents have set out, I'm pretty much averse to anything that's not Christian, even if it isn't anti-Christian/Satanic. But thanks for the list, I'll definately check some of them out.
SnoringFrog

Return to Jam Session