Steve...has Evolved In His Taste...Again

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Steve...has Evolved In His Taste...Again

Postby Stephen » Wed May 30, 2007 8:24 pm

I can now no longer claim I hate all country music. I have always been a closet Johnny Cash fan. Now, having just got American IV The Man Comes Around....I publicly state that I do infact like Cashs country stuff...and the newer stuff. If Gypsy sees this...I will never live all my anti-Country music comments. But I must admit, I really dig everything Cash that I have heard so far. I felllll into a burrrrning ring of fiiiiiiire....
Stephen

Postby bigsleepj » Wed May 30, 2007 8:46 pm

I don't like country too, but I love Johnny Cash. So we're in the same boat in this department, it seems.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed May 30, 2007 9:07 pm

I'm exactly the same way. I normally can't stand country music, but just about everything that Johnny Cash did is gold.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Kkun » Wed May 30, 2007 9:16 pm

Johnny Cash = win. Get Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison (Johnnie's recommendation :) ) and you will be amazed. It's so good.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed May 30, 2007 9:35 pm

Yeah, well, that's 'cause Johnny Cash is the only good Country artist. XD I loathe country music, but Johnny Cash is really good. And if you haven't already, then you should go rent Walk the Line. Because it's really good. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed May 30, 2007 10:06 pm

Cash transcends country music.
Fish and Chips

Postby Stephen » Wed May 30, 2007 10:28 pm

*laughs* I expected to be mocked for this post. In truth, I do deserve it. Many times I have made the statement, "All country is garbage" Cash has changed my mind. And Give my love to Rose is the saddest song I have ever heard.
Stephen

Postby beau99 » Thu May 31, 2007 1:37 am

ShatterheartArk wrote:Many times I have made the statement, "All country is garbage"

The true statement is actually "pop country is garbage".

Most country is awesome. You just don't hear it on the radio anymore.
beau99

Postby Tommy » Thu May 31, 2007 4:56 pm

How could you not love everything from the Cash?
Tommy

Postby Stephen » Thu May 31, 2007 7:06 pm

Picked up American III today, and Live from Folsom Prison. UH-MAY-ZING.
Stephen

Postby beau99 » Thu May 31, 2007 10:18 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:How could you not love everything from the Cash?

There's a lot of stuff he put out that is utter crap, actually.

But that's just this man's opinion.
beau99

Postby Tommy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:36 pm

As long as that stuff you dislike is not one of the four songs:

1) A boy named Sue (HOW DO YOU DO?!)
2) Ring of Fire
3) I Walk the Line
4) Ghost Riders in the Sky

Then, I still think you're a cool guy.
Tommy

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:40 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:1) A boy named Sue (HOW DO YOU DO?!)

My daddy left home, when I was three
And he didn't leave much for ma and me;
Just his old guitar
And an empty bottle of booze...
Fish and Chips

Postby indyrocker » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:46 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:As long as that stuff it not one of the four songs:

1) A boy named Sue (HOW DO YOU DO?!)
2) Ring of Fire
3) I Walk the Line
4) Ghost Riders in the Sky

I still think you're a cool guy.
come on Ghost Riders in the Sky was an awesome song and he did it right not like the last time it was coverd (ghost rider)
Indyrocker aka the user fomaly known as Agentsmith700

my remixes --> http://www.purevolume.com/irishangel
my Xanga--> http://www.xanga.com/indyrocker
A member of the Society of Hatted Members

adopted by Rachel
Adopted Banana-chan, heero yuy 95

There are no more heroes any more they all died in the night that the world fell into darknes; and good men are trampled down into the dirt never to be seen again. This is the story of this world of ours the story of the corupt and those that would try to save it from them but become corupt themselfs from their own selfish greed and want for what they do not have.
indyrocker

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:32 pm

I was raised on country music...but I really don't like it now..some songs are OKAY..but yeah...I live in a town that ADORES it. =_=; stupid red neck backwater town....>_>

I tolerate it because of my daddy. ^o^
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:40 pm

[quote="ChristianKitsune"]I was raised on country music...but I really don't like it now..some songs are OKAY..but yeah...I live in a town that ADORES it. =_=]

Except for Johnny Cash isn't anywhere near redneck backwater. Them's fightin' words. XDD

No, I'm kidding. XD Seriously though, Cash's music is SO different from any other country music out there (the kind they play on the radio, at least). His lyrics are witty, his voice is not twangy (BONUS! :D), and his music is really good. XD So yeah. I basically hate all country except Johnny Cash, though, and lots of people around here listen to the kind of country I really hate, so I get where you're coming from. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ~IYQ » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:26 am

My parents-- my mom, especially-- raised us to be anti-country. But sometimes...it just sounds good. I think modern country comes closer to resembling pop music than that hip-hop-pop stuff most of the Top Hits stations play these days. And, hey, I like me some pop music from time to time.

Usually it makes me feel all mushy inside and I get urges to call my girlfriend. :sniffle: ;)
It's pretty obvious to me-- live action Yuki would be played by Michael Jackson.
~IYQ

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:04 am

ShatterheartArk wrote:And Give my love to Rose is the saddest song I have ever heard.

Actually, I'd have put Cash's song Jacob Bean (not to be confused with a more famous tongue in cheek Joe Green song of his) as the saddest I've heard. It's tragic, poignant yet brutal and unsentimental as well. Then again, so are most of Cash's songs. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

bigsleepj

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:32 am

Radical Dreamer wrote:Except for Johnny Cash isn't anywhere near redneck backwater. Them's fightin' words. XDD

No, I'm kidding. XD Seriously though, Cash's music is SO different from any other country music out there (the kind they play on the radio, at least). His lyrics are witty, his voice is not twangy (BONUS! :D), and his music is really good. XD So yeah. I basically hate all country except Johnny Cash, though, and lots of people around here listen to the kind of country I really hate, so I get where you're coming from. XDD

XDD i was excluding Johnny Cash, as I don't think I have heard any of his songs...*hides under a rock where I belong*
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby indyrocker » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:24 am

ChristianKitsune wrote:XDD i was excluding Johnny Cash, as I don't think I have heard any of his songs...*hides under a rock where I belong*
GASPITH!!!! Search for "Folsum Prison Blues" or "guess things happen that way" then you shall understand.
Indyrocker aka the user fomaly known as Agentsmith700

my remixes --> http://www.purevolume.com/irishangel
my Xanga--> http://www.xanga.com/indyrocker
A member of the Society of Hatted Members

adopted by Rachel
Adopted Banana-chan, heero yuy 95

There are no more heroes any more they all died in the night that the world fell into darknes; and good men are trampled down into the dirt never to be seen again. This is the story of this world of ours the story of the corupt and those that would try to save it from them but become corupt themselfs from their own selfish greed and want for what they do not have.
indyrocker

Postby Tommy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:00 am

indyrocker wrote:come on Ghost Riders in the Sky was an awesome song and he did it right not like the last time it was coverd (ghost rider)

I know...
I love that song.

I'll edit that post to make it more understandable.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:30 pm

ShatterheartArk wrote:Picked up American III today, and Live from Folsom Prison. UH-MAY-ZING.

Those were my first two Johnny Cash CD's too. It was the song Mercy Seat that hooked me on Cash. A friend played it for me despite my anti-Country stance (he's not a big fan of country himself) and I was just blown away. What an excellent start to an excellent musical journey that was!
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Return to Jam Session