Your favorite anime/game bgm composer(s)?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Your favorite anime/game bgm composer(s)?

Postby SwordSkill » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:12 am

i'll have to say Yuki Kajiura, Taku Iwasaki, Joe Hisaishi, Nobuo Uematsu, Ko Otani, and Yoko Kanno. these people are just incredible in creating music.
SwordSkill

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:52 am

Mm, Yoko Kanno definitely. Was it Nobuo Uematsu that did Chrono Trigger?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby SwordSkill » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:40 am

yup. ^^ but he's generally better known for his work on the Final Fantasy OSTs.
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:03 am

ShiroiHikari wrote:Was it Nobuo Uematsu that did Chrono Trigger?

You're half right. He and Yasunori Mitsuda both worked on the music for Chrono Trigger; but Mitsuda alone went on to compose for Chrono Cross while, like SwordSkill said, Uematsu stuck with the Final Fantasy games. (I'm thinking he may have done the music for a couple of Square's older NES games too, like World Runner and King's Knight, although no credits are given.)

I don't think I really have a favorite composer; there are so many good ones out there. (If you were to ask my mom, though, she'd probably say that I'm her favorite. :lol: )
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby cbwing0 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:11 am

Let's see...I don't know most of the artists' names, so I will just list the shows whose soudtracks I like:

Bruce Faulconer
(Rurouni Kenshin)
(G Gundam)
(Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight)
cbwing0

Postby Zilch » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:03 pm

Nobuo Uematsu and...think his name is Harry...Harry something...the dude that did Metal Gear Solid's music.
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby shooraijin » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:36 pm

I rather like Kenji Kawai (he does a lot more than just anime BGM, tho'), and Akihisa Matsuura.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Debitt » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:18 pm

Yoko Kanno and Nobuo Uematsu all the way! ^_^

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Aka-chan » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:26 pm

Nobuo Uematsu all the way! ^__^ I really like Yuki Kajiura, too, especially for her work with Noir, even if I’m not into the series itself – oh, and Taro Iwashiro for his work on Rurouni Kenshin.
Aka-chan

Postby Omega Amen » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:28 pm

From Square-Enix fame: Nobuo Uematsu, Yasunori Mitsuda, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Masaharu Iwata, Masashi Hamauzu

From Metal Gear Solid 2: Harry Gregson-Williams

From anime: Yoko Kanno (the only composer in anime whose music has stood out to me)
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby suoh12 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:48 pm

definitely Yoko Kanno and Nobuo Uematsu. its people like them that make me want to patronize any works they've made.^^ Love those BGMs.^_^
suoh12

Postby Link Antilles » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:41 am

My favs...
Final Fantasy: Nobuo Uematsu
Metal Gear Solid 2: Harry Gregson-Williams
Zelda: Koji Kondo
Link Antilles

Postby MasterDias » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:49 am

My favorite video games composers are Nobuo Uematsu and Yasunori Mitsuda.

I enjoy the music of Motoi Sakuraba, who worked on the Star Ocean and "Tales of..." series, as well.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby glitch1501 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:04 am

oh course Nobuo Uematsu(FF RPGS), and John Williams(Starwars, Indiana Jones), and
whoever does the music for Beyond Good and Evil!!!

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Link Antilles » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:54 pm

glitch1501 wrote:oh course Nobuo Uematsu(FF RPGS), and John Williams(Starwars, Indiana Jones), and
whoever does the music for Beyond Good and Evil!!!

Yeah, I love the music for Beyond Good and Evil! I have the PC version and I'm looking for an extractor online to pull the music from the game to MP3 files.
Link Antilles

Postby Enthralled » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:19 pm

Favorite Video Game composers would have to be:
Yasunori Mitsuda
Michiru Yamane (Castlevania SotN, Aria of Sorrow, Lament of Innocence)
Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill 1-4) - very creative and original
Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage 1-3, Shinobi III)
Hitoshi Sakimoto (Vagrant Story, FFT - with Iwata, Breath of Fire V)

Fav Anime/Movie composers:
Kow Otani (Haibane Renmei)
Marco d' Ambrosio (Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust)
Joe Hisaishi (Spirited Away)
umm.... I can't remember who did the soundtrack for IRIA.. ahh... that person
Hans Zimmer (The Last Samurai)
Danny Elfman
Elliot Goldenthal (Alien 3/Resurrection, Interview with a Vampire)
ahh.... thats all I can think of right now....
All praise and honor be to the Lord God of Israel!! My Redeemer!!
Enthralled

Postby glitch1501 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:44 am

Link Antilles wrote:Yeah, I love the music for Beyond Good and Evil! I have the PC version and I'm looking for an extractor online to pull the music from the game to MP3 files.

i extracted the music, its so good! i recomend doing it, ill pm you a link if you want me to

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Link Antilles » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:28 am

glitch1501 wrote:i extracted the music, its so good! i recomend doing it, ill pm you a link if you want me to

Cool, sure! I've been searching for good while now, thanks!

I forgot to add Kenji Yamamo, he did the music for Super Metroid and Metroid Prime!
Link Antilles

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:59 pm

If memory serves me correctly, no one has yet mentioned Nintendo's composer Hip Tanaka; he did the music for the original Metroid and Kid Icarus (NES), as well as Super Mario Land and Balloon Kid (Game Boy). Those were some good tunes. ^_^
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Enthralled » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:18 pm

So he's the guy that did the Metroid soundtrack... do you know if he's the same person who worked on Super Metroid?
Enthralled

Postby Destroyer2000 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:10 pm

Hm...Judy and Mary, for their works with RK.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:58 pm

Credit was give to some other fellow (forgot his name) for the music in Super Metroid, but I recognized some arrangements of Hip Tanaka's original Metroid music in there too. If you've played both, compare the music in each when:

- At the title screen
- Loading/continuing from a save point/password
- Picking up a key item

(In my opinion, the original pieces were better than the arrangements; maybe because that's what I'm more used to hearing. ^_^ )
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Link Antilles » Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:45 pm

Aight, I found a list of peeps who composed for the Metroid games:

Metroid: Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka (as we already know)
Metroid II: Ryouji Yoshitomi
Super Metroid: Kenji Yamamoto, Minako Hamano
Metroid Prime: Kenji Yamamoto and Kouichi Kyuma
Metroid Fusion:Shinji Hosoe, Minako Hamano, and Akira Fujiwara
Metroid Zero Mission: I can't find

Kudos to all these dudes!
Link Antilles

Postby Enthralled » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:06 pm

Oh sweet! Thanks for the list. For the older NES games not many composers are named... (not that I'm aware of... or maybe I just don't pay enough attention during the credits!)

The Melody Maker: Yeah, I would much rather have the original peices than arrangements. For my money, I don't think it gets much better than the NES soundcard!
Enthralled

Here are my favs.

Postby iamneo19 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:01 pm

Dude...

Nobuo Uematsu is, needless to say, the man. His Final Fantasy piano tracks from FFVIII are absolutely astounding. I draw to them all the time. Also, Sephiroth's theme was ingenius. It's so addictive. Can't stop listening to it over and over and over again! Also, from FFX, Besaid Island and the track for that nice long cinematic at the end when the Aeons disappear around the ship was killer!

Yoko Shimamura is the name of the composer for Kingdom Hearts. Most of the stuff is smaller and trivial, but worth listening to (The Little Mermaid's "Under the Sea" being very questionable, however...) At first I was upset that they didn't have Sephiroth's theme on the soundtrack from the Coliseum Platinum match...but now that I finally have the original "One Winged Angel," I can't complain, and have no desire to. The original is better anyways. On top of those tracks, the last track on the second disc, "Destati," is an orchestrated version of the last fight, and is much shorter. I love it. The strings' climax near the end of the track were really kool.

Those are my favorite two from games. In a nutshell, the ones from movies I like...

John Williams (Star Wars...duh, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Land Before Time...they made too many of those da...I mean, movies...ahem!)
Hans Zimmer (The Rock, Gladiator, Pirates of the Carribean, Lion King)
some of Jerry Goldsmith (some of Star Trek, not all)
Don Davis (Matrix movies)
Rob Dougan (Matrix movies)
Juno Reactor (Matrix movies)

From,
Neo

"A foolish man thinks himself wise...
But a wise man knows himself to be a fool."

Anonymous
iamneo19

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:19 pm

Akira Yamaoka
Yoko Kanno
Nobuo Uematsu

That's about it... There are other anime/games I like the music for, but those are the only ones that really stand out to me... Even Nobuo, in my opinion, put out a lot of stinkers to get to the good stuff... I mean most of it fits, but it's just not outstanding... Akira, on the other hand, has amazed me in almost everything he's done... Besides being the sole musician (not counting vocals) he's also the one in charge of the sound effects, and he's much better at his Job than Nobuo in my opinion... Granted, Akira didn't have to make the sheer NUMBER of songs that Nobuo did, so that may account for a good amount of the difference.

One I *shockingly* was not fond of, at least for game music, was "Harry Gregson-Williams" I just didn't think his in-game music was that good... The only good song in the whole thing was the opening, which was not a looping song. I think the looping songs in MGS1 were better than MGS2. And, um, I found "The Best is Yet To Come" (that gaelic song from MGS) to be much better than the ending song for MGS2... I love his work in movies, though... Spy Games and enemy of the state are two good examples.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby skynes » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:48 am

Link Antilles wrote:Aight, I found a list of peeps who composed for the Metroid games:

Metroid: Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka (as we already know)
Metroid II: Ryouji Yoshitomi
Super Metroid: Kenji Yamamoto, Minako Hamano
Metroid Prime: Kenji Yamamoto and Kouichi Kyuma
Metroid Fusion:Shinji Hosoe, Minako Hamano, and Akira Fujiwara
Metroid Zero Mission: I can't find

Kudos to all these dudes!

Indeed. The music from the (older) Metroid games was creepy and perfectly fitting though I think some of Metroid Prime's music was a bit too technoey and nicey. Especially in Phendrana Drifts, that tinkling gentle music is unbefitting for a Metroid game.

anyone ever heard of the Black Mages?
http://www.geocities.com/akai_sakura/TBM.html

These guys play Final Fantasy songsi n rock and metal! Sounds really good.
skynes

Postby Yamato145 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:06 pm

Nobuo Uematsu
(and T.M Revolution :rock: :lol: )
The loving, caring, and slightly bad-influencing father of 1balloonpopper and khakibluesocks!!!
Also I'm not sure how -_-' but somehow I am the Master and Father of Spectro-King according to his signature ... but hey I'm up for having a minion ... so jump stupid ... I'll have him keeeeel you
:evil: Evil child of Fantasy Dreamer and Dark Disturbed Grandchild of Cephas VII
On a quest to adopt Cephas
:dance: WACKY BANANA!!! :rock: ROCKER!!! :hug: glomp of DOOM!!!
Ive noticed something interesting, when a place is really amazing people say it must be seen to believed ... but the most amazing place ever must be believed to be seen.
kenshin: W_^Vx
Yamato145

Return to Jam Session