Omega Amen - His Art

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Bishoujo Pic Thread Banner - Kanoe (original and smaller size)

Postby Omega Amen » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:13 pm

EDIT: I have now transferred my work to the Gallery, and I am expecting any comments there. To find my work, just search for my username in the Gallery.

I decided to post this in the Art Corner because I am interested in feedback, though I doubt I will have the time or the will to significantly change it.

When inkhana posted in the Bishoujo Pic Thread, I looked at her signature, and I noticed the "Official CAA Bishie Thread Member" banner. Then, I became inspired to create a banner for the Bishoujo Pic Thread.

This was an interesting endeavor. I have never seriously used an image editing program before, nor created art on the computer, in any sense. (See what you made me do, inkhana!)

I used the GIMP since it is the only imaging program I have ever really touched, and it is free. I decided to take two pics of Kanoe from X that I really liked, and then put a drop ripple in between them in an attempt to connect the two pics. Why a drop ripple? Do you know how many times they used those drop ripples in the X TV anime?! Well, I believed it was appropriate since drop ripples were used to connect events and people in that show.

Then I placed Lucida Calligraphy font text on top of the ripple with reference to Psalms 96:6. About the verse, I was trying to find a general guiding theme/principle in finding pics for the Bishoujo Pic Thread... something for members to keep in the back of their heads if they want to contribute to the thread. I briefly skimmed through Song of Solomon and Ruth, but I felt this verse was the best way to go. Depending on your translation of The Bible (KJV, NIV, whatever) the word "beauty" might be replaced with "glory." In my opinion, beauty and glory can sometimes be seen as nearly equivalent,
especially in the case of feminine beauty.

Yes, the banner is somewhat large, but that has to do with my insecurity of dealing with a small area to work with.

I am a little confident that I am on the right track here. My mother gave me feedback saying, "Exquisite, pleasant and quite conservative, I like it very much." Although she sees things that I do favorably (like many mothers do with their children), she is honest.

I hope I was able to give a sense of femininity and softness. In reality, I have a somewhat cold, harsh, sharp, and combative personality.

EDIT: Due to Mave's request, I made a smaller version of this banner. In my future banners, I will probably produce two sizes for each banner just like you see here.

EDIT: For those who want to link this banner to the Bishoujo Pic Thread remember to surround the IMG tags with URL tags with the following link:
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=6322

Enough text. Here is the Kanoe banner and its smaller version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby inkhana » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:50 pm

That's very nice Omega! (BTW, the banner in my sig was made by MyrrhLynn...so I guess it's really her fault that this started...;) ) The ripple effect connecting the pics is quite cool. The only thing I can think of that might make it better would be to move up the text, use a slightly smaller font, and at the bottom actually type out the text of the Psalm...provided it would fit in the slot allowed.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Benu » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:07 pm

Wow thats a pretty, pretty good!! I just may have too join the bishie club now!! :lol:
"We join the "Christian" club and separate ourselves from the world, and the world still sits on the outside, dying for someone to demonstrate what it means to believe." - Matthew Paul Turner
Benu

Bishoujo Pic Thread Banner - Kanoe (new but abandoned and removed version)

Postby Omega Amen » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:56 pm

EDIT: inkhana, after looking at this morning, I noticed some aesthetic problems with this new version with the text. The text can be hard to read in higher resolutions, and it can crowd out the impact of the image. Since I believe in this case, the beauty of the image must speak first and then cause the viewer to react. Therefore, I will go back to the original version of the banner and hope that the impact of the image will make the viewer look up Psalms 96:6.

EDIT: inkhana, regardless, thank you for the advice. Exploration is important in artistry. Sorry if my taste in banners is a little capricious. This is my first work.

I might come up with another banner in the future, featuring a different bishoujo....

FINAL EDIT: This version has been on display long enough. I have removed it since I am not interested in spreading this version of my banner around.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby CobaltAngel » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:59 am

Ooooh! Its pretty! Nicely layed out and I like the verse too. :)
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Final Decision on Kanoe Banner - Back to Original Version

Postby Omega Amen » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:01 am

Okay, my decision is made on this Kanoe banner. I am sticking with the original version (first post) because it did not have the aesthetic problems presented by the inclusion of the verse's text in the later version. The beauty of the image should speak first, and then cause the viewer to react by looking up the verse. The inclusion of text makes the image deviate from this proper course.

So you should see my original version in my banner, where only the reference of Psalms 96:6 is shown and not the text of the verse. If you do not see my original version, just press the refresh button on your browser.

Thank you so much for your comments. You gave this beginner a good deal of confidence.

I am probably going to work on a banner with Faye Valentine... still have yet to see a banner image in my mind though.

Omega Amen

Postby Mave » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:36 pm

I think it's pretty cool. But a request, can you make a smaller one? :sweat: I'm collecting so many banners, I need more space at my signature. LOL
Mave

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:39 pm

dang... thats good omega. the ripple thing looks really good. you al mke such things look easy, or maybe i try to hard :grin: i thought you said you werent good with computer imaging
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Omega Amen » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:05 pm

Ruroken wrote:dang... thats good omega. the ripple thing looks really good. you al mke such things look easy, or maybe i try to hard :grin: i thought you said you werent good with computer imaging
I am not good. The ripple effect is a relatively easy technique... yet it took me a long time to get it right. This banner compared to others created by members here is relatively simple. Besides, the pics of Kanoe already do a lot of the work for me. I just tried for simple but effective, and it was hard for me since this was my first time really editing images.
Mave wrote:I think it's pretty cool. But a request, can you make a smaller one? I'm collecting so many banners, I need more space at my signature. LOL
*sighs a deep breath.*
*thinks a bit about request.*

Kanoe reminds me in some ways of my mother, who is a stunningly beautiful woman. Hence, I do not want to put text in front of the depictions of Kanoe in the banner. If I scale down the banner too much, I run into the same problem of having text covering up the ripple and reaching into the Kanoe depictions.... I will try to work with it this weekend, and if it is possible, I will PM you what I consider an acceptable smaller version. However, I will say there is no way I can get it small as that Bishie Thread banner. That is impossible. Even if I come up with a "smaller version" (which will be just scaled down, no changes in design), you will still have to be willing to give room in your signature.

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it.

Omega Amen

Postby Saint Kevin » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:26 pm

Wow Omega, very cool banner. Where can I get that free prog you used to create it? I would like to maybe one day make myself a banner but I don't have photoshop or the money for it. Nice job, I guess if you can make a good banner, there might be hope for me yet.

Psalm 96 is a great psalm by the way. Nice choice.
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Smaller version of Kanoe Bishoujo Pic Thread banner is available (at the first post).

Postby Omega Amen » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:03 pm

First, I will quickly answer Saint Kevin's question.
Saint Kevin wrote:Wow Omega, very cool banner. Where can I get that free prog you used to create it? I would like to maybe one day make myself a banner but I don't have photoshop or the money for it. Nice job, I guess if you can make a good banner, there might be hope for me yet.

Psalm 96 is a great psalm by the way. Nice choice.
The new 2.0 version of The GIMP was just released, which you can find here. It is available for Unix/Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows. They have some books you can purchase, but do realize that "Grokking the Gimp" and "Gimp - The Official Handbook" have web versions which you can browse through for free. The books might be slightly dated, but for the purposes of getting a feel for the tool, I think they are a good starting point. There is also a Gimp Users Group where they have some tutorials on some cool effects.

Okay, now for my announcement. Due to Mave's request, I have made a smaller version of the Kanoe banner and placed it in the very first post of this thread, next to the original-sized version. I have also sharpened the original version, so if you have a good quality monitor, you might see better quality of the image.

At the time of this post, I will use the smaller Kanoe banner to advertise its availability for a week. Then I will go back to the original-sized version since I prefer that size.

Omega Amen

Postby Inferno » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:38 am

Nice, mucho nice! Psalm 96 is a very nice psalm, good choice. How do I join the Bishoujo or bishie club or what ever? Can anyone give me details? Do I have to draw somthing good. I'm a baaaaddddd bad bad bad drawer , so if i have to draw to get in i might not get in.
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby Omega Amen » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:43 am

Inferno wrote:Nice, mucho nice! Psalm 96 is a very nice psalm, good choice. How do I join the Bishoujo or bishie club or what ever? Can anyone give me details? Do I have to draw somthing good. I'm a baaaaddddd bad bad bad drawer, so if i have to draw to get in i might not get in.
I can only speak for the Bishoujo Pic Thread, Inferno. I have given my take on what is "official member" behavior (bottom of the page) for the thread, and it is very easy-going, and you do not even have to use my banners, and you do not have to draw anything for that thread.

Also, I really did not draw anything in my banners. I took two images from an anime and did some editing.

I am now working on a Rei Ayanami banner.... I wanted to do a Faye Valentine banner, but I still have yet to the find the right pic and a good image forming in my mind for a Faye banner.

Omega Amen

Transferred to the Gallery.

Postby Omega Amen » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:24 pm

Since I have the feeling that the adminstration is going to use the new Gallery for its art needs, so will I. My artwork will be transferred to the appropriate categories in the Gallery, and any comments on them can be made there.

Omega Amen

Postby Ren_sama » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:47 am

ey~Thats A really nice banner~! NICE!!

Whats the difference between posting something in the Gallery and posting something in the Art Corner?
Ren_sama

Return to Art Corner