Gypsy's Art Desk

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Postby calbhach » Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:34 pm

Hehe, I like the bored one of ya.

Adopted ~ The Melody Maker :)

Adopted by ~ CephasVII :D

Adopted as a pet by ~ 1BalloonPopper ^_^

Adopted pets ~ Marbles (1BalloonPopper) =D
calbhach

Postby kriz182 » Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:29 am

cool! cool! cool! i like the sculpture very much! and your pictures are nice too...keep it up sis (^.^)d

I completely destroyed my line art layer on these three (I was having a brain-dead day ... again), so they're all a little gritty looking. Oh well.

hmm maybe you should trace your outline using Adobe Streamline for smooth outline...i dunno how you color your pics, but coloring in different layers and using the 'multiply' mode will surely keep your outline quality...
We talk about hate more than we talk about love...
How can the world be a better place?
kriz182

Postby inkhana » Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:46 am

Adobe Streamline? *curious* Does it make the inking process faster? *hope hope*

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby kriz182 » Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:27 pm

Adobe Streamline? *curious* Does it make the inking process faster? *hope hope*

adobe streamline does not do the inking for you, it smooths (vectorizes) your inked outline so your outline won't be jaggy...it'll be solid black and smooth ^^ i've attached a file that shows the difference. hope it helps...

but if you don't like solid outline (or maybe you like none-outline better) then it really doesn't matter ^^
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We talk about hate more than we talk about love...
How can the world be a better place?
kriz182

Postby Gypsy » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:37 am

I just finished this sculpture tonight, and I'm actually pleased with this one. It's my signature Jester for those of you who don't know. I put the paint on a little thick, but too late to fix it now ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Gypsy » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:43 am

Yup ... these girls again. Only this time, only one pic to load to see all three! And it may take a while ...
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby express » Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:18 am

NICE!!! :dance:
express

Postby shooraijin » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:21 am

Very good, especially the colours! Do you use an airbrush for the shading?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Gypsy » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:23 am

shooraijin wrote:Very good, especially the colours! Do you use an airbrush for the shading?

For the cg art or the sculpture?
Gypsy

Postby Rev. Doc » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:08 am

Calirity, detail, coloring, all excellent. You have great talent Gypsy.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Gypsy » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:16 am

Rev. Doc wrote:Calirity, detail, coloring, all excellent. You have great talent Gypsy.

Thank you very much, but truth is ... Someone is just letting me borrow it, y'know? ;)
Gypsy

Postby Stephen » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:42 am

The Caprice statue looks great, (See what happens when you don't smash burninate or scream at things before there done?) Also like the group pic....vera nice.
Stephen

Postby Retten » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:03 pm

they look great :thumb: the sculpture is cool and the picture is awsome what did you use to color it

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Gypsy » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:33 pm

Oh the joys of photoshop.
Gypsy

Postby Retten » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:46 pm

*mumbles about not having photoshop* :shady:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby shooraijin » Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:11 pm

> For the cg art or the sculpture?

I was referring to the art, but you just answered my question anyway. :)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby inkhana » Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:09 pm

HEY! I know that jester! LOL She's really neat...you do such a good job with sculpture.

Wow, you did a good job on the three girls, too! They're really neat and detailed. Oh, and you have a REALLY neat signature, BTW. :)

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Gypsy » Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:16 pm

Thanks. I made the sig template a long time ago, but I would always forget to actually tack it on.
Gypsy

Postby darkoon » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:31 am

Wow, you should work on modeling for movie characters... They need skilled people like you.

Darkoon
darkoon

Postby darkoon » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:26 am

YOU ARE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! GEEESSSHHH, When I entered the site I was hoping for skilled drawers, but I got more than what I asked for! It is beautiful, I'll pray for you so that the all mighty Jesus can bless your drawings skills even more.

Darkoon
darkoon

Postby Ashley » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:55 pm

Y'know, I'm rather shocked no one mentioned the fact that the group pic back there somewhat resembles the gang from MKR, down to the hair colors. Was this intentional, or is your subconscious more of a clamp fan than you thought?
Ashley

Postby BrianC » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:52 am

I noticed the resemblence to MKR too. I like the character drawings, but I couldn't help but notice the similarities to other anime characters. Beth looks like Fuu from MKR without the glasses, Blaise looks like Mikako/Lita from Sailor Moon, and Juli looks a bit like Yurkia from Nadesico. Was this intentional?
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby Gypsy » Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:56 pm

No offense, but I would never copy another's work and call it my own, and it sort of bugs me that anyone would think that I'd do that. Even fanart is rare for me.

For the record, and Aaron can back me up on this - I did those character designs back in highschool. The only anime I had seen then was some Sailor Moon, Iria, and Tenchi Muyo. I had never even heard of MKR, and the word CLAMP still meant some kind of tool.

Besides, anime is so wide spread now that there is bound to be similar looking characters. There are only so many different hair colors and lengths you can give girls. If I was trying to mimic MKR, I'd have given Blaise pink hair, and Juli light blue hair. And Blaise's hair is only partly pulled back (you can check up a pic that I previously posted of her) unlike Lita's which is in a full ponytail.

People that know me well know that I strive to be original, so you can see why those kinds of comments go straight to my nerves.
Gypsy

Postby Ashley » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:17 pm

I'm sorry, I meant no offense! I just found it interesting, that's all, and I knew you were a somewhat mild clamp fan (at least when it comes to AL)...*ahem* Sorry :red:
Ashley

Postby BrianC » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:24 pm

I'm sorry too. I didn't mean any offense either. That is just who the characters you drew reminded me of and I know that you like Nadesico, MKR, and used to watch Sailor Moon. I think your artwork looks very good. I wasn't accusing you of copying someone elses work. I know your characters are original, but there is nothing wrong with getting inspiration from somewhere else.

No offense, Gypsy, but it bugs me that you would accuse me and Ashley of accusing you of copying other people's work. I also know that you are not the type of person who would copy someone else's work and claim it as your own. I never said that you copied the work, I said that the characters looked SIMILAR. I know that they are your original creations and they all look quite nice. The hair color IS similar to the color for the MKR girls (but not quite the same) and the pic of the three of them togeather, while quite clearly your original creation (and very cool looking I might add), just screams MKR. .

Many people like to make referances to anime series with their creations and it's not necessarily copying other's work (this is part of the reason that I assumed that the pic looked a bit like MKR on purpose. I never once thought that you were copying MKR).

BTW, we both asked if the similarities were intentional and I know full well that stuff can look similar to other stuff when it is not intentioned to be that way and I know that characters can be inspired by other anime characters and still be unique. Look at the main characters from Cowboy Bebop. They may look similar to the characters that inspired them in Lupin III, but they are original creations with unique characteristics, despite their similarities to characters in Lupin III. Though they are inspired by other anime characters, the main characters of Cowboy Bebop are still unique creations.

You created your characters yourself and that is all that matters. They may have some similarities to other characters, but that was not intentioned. However, they do look a bit different from the other characters they are similar to and have thier own unique characteristics, so they are complete originals.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby Spiritsword » Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:02 pm

Your artwork is really great, Gypsy. The sculptures look nice, too. I'll be interested to find out more about the story behind your original characters. I used to like to create characters, but I never had the skills to draw them well so they were usually limited to written descriptions, an image in my mind, and possibly a rough sketch.

Keep up the good work!

Spiritsword
Spiritsword

Postby Gypsy » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:48 pm

The product of two lunch breaks. Normally, I work on Pilgrim's Progress at lunch, but I forgot my sketch pad. I sketched it yesterday and colored it today. It's a little .. odd for me - I'm really not sure what I was going for (or what on earth I was thinking) when I started it, but bored Gypsys do weird things.
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:26 pm

The combat fatigues are an intriguing touch. *grin*

shooraijin

Postby Kirika » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:20 pm

I really like the pose, very dinamic!!!
One thing though, there's a lot of really well done realistic shading on the pants but not on the rest of the clothing.
It's really awesome anyway!!! did I tell you that I like the shading on the pants?;)
Kirika

Postby Gypsy » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:58 pm

*laughs* That's because I was fast running out of break time, and it wasn't a pic I wanted to spend a long time on.
Gypsy

Previous Next

Return to Art Corner