Gypsy's Art Desk

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Gypsy's Art Desk

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:17 am

Well, I should have some art up soon, but this is a sculpture I did a few months ago of my favorite original character. Since it was made with Sculpy (not Super Sculpy like I prefer) the softness of the clay made it challenging for small details. Oh, and it's painted with acrylics (duh.) I think this one took me a total of a week and a half (working on it approx 3-4 hours every night) from beginning ball of clay to spraying the matte finishing on. I really don't like her face at all, but that just means I'll do better next time I guess. Anyone else do sculpting? Just wondering if it consumes anyone else. When I work on a sculpture, the rest of the world doesn't seem to exist (as some of my friends found out ...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby calbhach » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:47 am

Wow! You're really good with that stuff! Good detail...and the hair is awesome! I tried to do something like that once, and it didn't work out. I couldn't get the face to look right.

Keep up the good work!

Calbh

Adopted ~ The Melody Maker :)

Adopted by ~ CephasVII :D

Adopted as a pet by ~ 1BalloonPopper ^_^

Adopted pets ~ Marbles (1BalloonPopper) =D
calbhach

Postby Spencer » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:51 am

I made this big clay penguin last year in Art class, but it wasn't nearly that detailed. Mine is like a big bowling pin with wings and a beak. :shady: Eh, maybe next time.

Anyway, all of the details are very nice and fine tuned, the hair is great, and it is overall very nice. Good job!
:)
Spencer

Postby calbhach » Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:00 am

That was a penguin? Oops. I thought it was chicken...Mmmm...sure was tasty though!

Calbh

calbhach

Postby blueraven » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:46 am

:wow!: I love the dress ^_^
"Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
and things are not what they seem.
Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art; to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
blueraven

Postby inkhana » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:49 am

Wow, that's really cool! I love the barette thing in her hair and the little purple flowers, and the decoration on her sleeves is pretty, too...nice job!

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Technomancer » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:59 am

Wow. That's really something, epscially like how the hair turned out.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:06 pm

Thanks!
This is Elizabeth, one of 3 pics that go in a series. She's a character from something that Aaron and I are working on. I actually don't care for this pic very much. I'm very disappointed in the way her face turned out. She probably won't look quite like that in the future. Also, you get to see how lazy I am when it comes to backgrounds!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:08 pm

This one's name is Blaise. She's Irish if you can't tell, and has the attitude to go with it.
Gypsy

Postby Shinja » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:15 pm

cool, ilike all your stuff. what did you use to color them?
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:16 pm

This one's name is Juli. It took me forever to find a name for her. Ask Aaron. I mean, what was it ... 2 years before we could decide?
Gypsy

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:18 pm

wow.. those are really good.. i especially like the sculpture...

I am not good at that kind of thing at all...

Really nice work!
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby Lightbringer » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:18 pm

Ah yes, I think 2 years is a nice conservative answer, but really..... it could be from when we started it.... that was in highschool, so that was probably more like 2 1/2 or close to three right?

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:19 pm

Photoshop for the coloring. I completely destroyed my line art layer on these three (I was having a brain-dead day ... again), so they're all a little gritty looking. Oh well.
Gypsy

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:20 pm

Originally posted by Lightbringer
Ah yes, I think 2 years is a nice conservative answer, but really..... it could be from when we started it.... that was in highschool, so that was probably more like 2 1/2 or close to three right?

Lightbringer // Aaron

Yeah ... now that you mention it ...
Gypsy

Postby Spencer » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:22 pm

I really like the shoes in all of your drawings, they are all unique, especially Juli's, hers look like Sketchers to me.
:)
Spencer

Postby calbhach » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:41 pm

Oh, wow! Those are soooooo cool Gypsy! Good job! I really like the hair in the second one. The coloring was great on all of them, and I think I like the expression the best in the third.

Good job!

Calbh

calbhach

Postby EireWolf » Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:13 pm

Very nice sculpture (and drawings)! I'm a sculptor too. Super Sculpey's awesome for models. I haven't tried any anime scuptures yet; but you've inspired me to try!

I love the detail in your scupture. It's very well painted.
EireWolf

hey EireWolf

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:07 pm

A Disciple Evaluation on your site is pretty funny....

post your info in whos who thread so we can greet you...

nice to meet ya anyway...
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby HeavensTek » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:23 pm

wow, talent.

i really like the outfits

:thumb:
HeavensTek

Re: hey EireWolf

Postby EireWolf » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:27 pm

Originally posted by WhiteÃ…ngel
A Disciple Evaluation on your site is pretty funny....

post your info in whos who thread so we can greet you...

nice to meet ya anyway...

Hello WhiteAngel.

I posted in the Welcome Area.

It took me a while to figure out what you meant by the "Disciple Evaluation" thing... But then I remembered the humor section. The site is actually my husband's and mine both, and that part's not on my section. But yeah, that's a funny one. Thank God He doesn't look at outward appearances, eh? ;)

EireWolf

Postby Stephen » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:40 pm

Awesome stuff Gyspsy...but you already know what I think of your art. Good to see some new stuff from ya...keep up the good work...(and thank goodness you picked a name for that girl...though I think Aaron and I had some winners...)
Stephen

Postby shooraijin » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:29 pm

> So I name everyone Candice!

T-chan, this reminds me so much of Shiratori Azusa! But you're not running around shrieking 'kawaii!!!!', so don't worry. :grin:
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby EireWolf » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:24 pm

*laughing uncontrollably*

CK, I thought of the very same thing.

"Charlotte! Azusa loves her little Charlotte!"
EireWolf

Postby Ellana » Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:09 am

Wow! Awesome! I really like the sculpture. ^^
~ Ellana
Ellana

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:10 pm

Well, this one has a shot story that goes with it. While at work today, I was finishing up the tweaking processes of a project. Well, to make a long story short, I hit the "unrender all" button (I'd like to slap whoever thought of that button in the first place, and then put it so freakin' close to the "render all" button). So, I was left with little else to do besides watch the render button build back up to re-render everything I had just trashed. I turned off the monitor, used it as a sort of mirror, and did a quick self-portrait. So, anyway, this is my art on the fly - inking and photoshopping sold separately. (and yeah, my hair pretty much looks like that, sorry to say ...)
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:03 pm

You know, other people usually just take an extended coffee break when that happens. :)

Seriously, though, that's great work for freehand. Most of my stuff I'm using a straightedge, graph paper and a compass to get my proportions right (eyeballing it is still a skill I'm cultivating). I can usually do backgrounds freehand, but characters I still prefer to map out.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:18 pm

Case in point, here is a pencil test when I was working out the "numbers" (scanned at low-res for the bandwidth impaired). This was based largely on Tendoo Kasumi, for the Takahashi Rumiko fans in the audience, and was merely a rough unpolished sketch just to see if I liked how the proportions came out.

shooraijin

Postby EireWolf » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:44 pm

Originally posted by Gypsy
(and yeah, my hair pretty much looks like that, sorry to say ...)

Actually, I think the hair is really cute! The whole drawing is really cute! And very well done. :)
EireWolf

Postby EireWolf » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:46 pm

Originally posted by shooraijin
a pencil test

... looks like your pencil works! Not bad for a rough. I didn't know you were doing this kind of stuff... I guess you mentioned it when you were visiting, but I'm a very visually-oriented person... Things tend to sink in better when I see them. :)
EireWolf

Next

Return to Art Corner