Blaze's art endeavors and drawings to!

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Postby Retten » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:26 pm

Ok here it is MY VERY FIRST CG :grin: lol well its all done now I see aaaaaaaalllllllllooooottttttttt of room for improvement but I'm glad I finally got through it I learned allot, (thanks inkhana :thumb: ) gained allot of practice, and came up with some of my own techniques so now I cant wait for my next one because I know it will be even better :sweat:

Edit: I made a new animated signiture to :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby inkhana » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:44 pm

Hey, he looks really nice! :) I like the way the armor came out; it has a nice, lightly hammered look to it which is cool. Overall, the color scheme is really nice too. I didn't expect he would be red-headed for some reason! he he

There are a couple of things I'll point out; the main one is that I think his wings need a little bit more shading on them (don't hit me!) although they still look very nice. The other thing I want to bring up are the shadows. The main place I notice the difference is the shadow of the armor (which has a matte finish so it's not as affected by light and shadow as its shiny counterpart) and the shadow under his chin. The shading under his chin is very light, while the shadow on the armor is a bit darker.

The final thing I want to bring up is his hair. The color is very nice, but there's not much to give it "depth" which is a bit of a tricky thing given his hairstyle (painting hair is a difficult task if you don't have an established technique anyway). Try taking a very small airbrush (one of the smallest preset ones will work fine, I would use one with softened edges) and pick up either a color that's either significantly lighter than the hair color or pure white itself, and gently stroke it in the direction the hair flows. One thing about this: you have to stay very conscious of the way hair grows from the character's head or it will look very strange! ^^ (Spiky hair is difficult in its own way; I don't know if it will help or not but you might look at that pic of Cloud I did. It shows how I used shadow to partition the hair, even though it has significant spikes to it.) This may be something you want to try on a new layer; you can always delete it if you don't like the results.

Oh, one more thing...I like his eye color...that color green works very nicely on him.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Retten » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:08 pm

Yep red is my favorite color so it shows up allot in my drawings ;)
Well it really is noticable which parts I had a hard time on lol
Yeah the annyoing wings giving me trouble through the whole process :forehead: I couldnt find a color that worked well to shade them with :P and I couldnt stand the hair ethier :bang: but I will have to try that technique out sounds like it will help!
Thanks for the comments! Time to start another one now lol :sweat:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Retten » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:39 pm

Ok I don't know if anyone here even likes digital abstract art but I though I would post my current abstract project in a tutorial like fashion. (I'll make it more detailed if anyone is actually interested in learning ;) ) I started out by modeling the object in Lightwave 3D. I then imported it into Bryce and textured it, added some lights, and added some more shapes to it once all of that is done.
I move the camera into a spot I like and then being to render it. ....................................................................................
3 hours later I have my picture (that's just the time it took to render :P )
If you don't have any of these programs or any 3D programs and you want to create abstracts like this then I recommended you download a program called Blender its a free 3D program Wings 3D is also a really good one but it can only model objects. You can also make an abstract image completely in Photoshop if you prefer its just a bit different because you cant have any major 3d shapes like the ones below.

Picture # left to right
2.My current project (wow I really had to optimize this thing allot to make it fit the BMP unoptimized is 1.6mb)
1.A semi finished sample (not mine all of mine are to big to upload lol)

Now its time to begin the real work on my picture with Photoshop! :grin:
I will post again when I' am part way through the Photosho process
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:16 am

Coool! Keep it up and Ill keep a watch on this and try to throw in some comments...if inky dosn't beat me to it.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Retten » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:47 am

:lol: yeah she is really fast
quick note I will be posting the next step on my abstract either later today or tomorrow :thumb:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Retten » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:03 pm

Ok here is the next installment in my abstract tutorial/descriptive thing ;)
As you can see I completely changed the color of the 3d render because I am going to be doing a 4 part elemental series guess which element this one represent lol To achieve the change in color I messed around with the hue/saturation under the image/adjustments with the colorize option checked. Then I made it darker using brightness/contrast also under image/adjustments. Now if I hadn't done this the beam would have blended into the render way to much making it stand out in weird places instead of being a uniform line. Next I created the beam first I lightened the area the beam originates form with a big brush set on a low flow. Then I used the pen tool and stroke the line several times at different brush sizes then I added an outer glow under the layer/layer style/blending options. To finish it of I created some wispy white cloud like things lol to make it look cold all I had to do was take a big brush and put some white down then use filter/distort/wave set to sine and its done. Next I made some smaller wispy smoke with a small brush and I used filter/blur/motion blur. Finally I made some smaller blue beams using the same technique as before. Lastly I made a techcircle, then blurred it, merge the layers down, add an outer glow, and then play around with the layer settings. Now here it is! Once again if you want a more in-depth explanation pm me and I tell you more

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Retten » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:08 pm

Ok its all done if you want to know how I got here just pm me!
I will have a link to the unoptimized image later :)

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby inkhana » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:28 pm

Wow WB, with a little alteration that would make a rockin' webpage layout.

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Retten » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:45 pm

Yeah it would be pretty cool (no pun intended) to make a flash layout with! :grin:

The full sized image is at http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/4672094/ just click the magnifying glass (636kb)

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Retten » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:58 pm

Ok here is my latest image I made you can view it at http://www.deviantart.com/view/4898700/ (note you might have to refresh a couple of times since I just submited it)
Let me know what you think!

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Retten » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:31 pm

Alright I couldnt help myself I just had to make another Final Fantasy Advent Children wp so here it for all to enjoy :D I like how I got the light rays to fall on clouds head :jump: let me know what you think
full resolution image at http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/4898916/
I plan to work on several anime drawings now! I kinda switch back and forth between digital art and drawing its fun that way lol :thumb:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Retten » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:14 pm

Alright here is my latest drawing (the legs are a bit small :sweat:) I just started to shade it but I want to go on to something else now lol (I'm on a drawing spree) let me know what you think :jump:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:29 pm

do you want come critiquing on that?

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby inkhana » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:23 pm

Hey, that's not too bad!...:) He has a really good face. Like the hat too...:thumb:

The main problem I can see with it is that the shoulders are very broad for his height. You said that you thought his legs were too short, but I think most of what you're seeing is that the width of his body makes him appear shorter than he is. Also, someone who has that much upper body muscle, to remain proportionate, usually has bigger, longer legs. My suggestion: uh...O.o If you want someone who's pretty muscular, it's going to be kinda tough because you have to memorize for the most part how the visible muscles hook together. I've had a hard time finding good reference materials...I did learn a lot by sketching pics of bodybuilders. Before you all die laughing, bear this in mind - at least for me, it's a lot easier to learn to draw a big guy and shrink them down than the other way around..XD

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:41 am

umm the hands are small in general proportion tot he rest of the body as well... face looks cool though. Try drawing using a picture as a guideline, or a live model, even looking at yourself in a full length mirror can help...I've even gone and put on a capes and jackets and whatnot to get the appearances of things right on a persons body that I was drawing. Keep practicing though, theres some serious artistic talent here....(those backgrounds are amazing!!!), cant wait to see more.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Retten » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:05 pm

Thanks for the comments! :D My suspicions were correct I needed to make the legs and the hands larger :forehead: I don't normally draw big guys but I though I could use some practice :) I'm pretty happy on how the muscles came out though but it doesn't turn out very good in the scan I think I made it to light :P

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby true_noir_chloe » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:55 pm

Your wallpaper was great. You're just so good on the computer. I've always loved looking over your stuff. ^_^ Great job!

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Macross » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:54 am

I really liked your drawing... keep up the good work...
Dominus Deus aperuit mihi aurem ego autem non contradico retrorsum non abii

"The Sovereign LORD has opened my ears,
and I have not been rebellious;
I have not drawn back. "Isaiah 50:5
Macross

Postby Retten » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:01 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

ok here is a really bad looking bunch of sketches I made and I wouldnt normally show something this bad but I need opions on which face you like the most :?:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Retten » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:47 pm

I knew they were bad but I didnt expect then to scare everyone off so *bump*
and the question again Which one do you like most????

(I intended to do a lager version of the most popular one and at different angles and he is most likely going to be the main or secondary character of my manga when ever I get around to doing that but I need to make allot of concept sketches first :thumb: )

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby inkhana » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:53 pm

Hmm, not sure...O.o Number 3, maybe...?

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Angelchick » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:02 pm

i like number 3 the hair is cool but i like smaller eyes but you don't have to change them
everywhere i go i can't escape your energy - Skillet

this isn't war, but these are still battles
and battles make it all die out - Dead Poetic

Sometimes I don't know
Where I am
Where I'll be - A Thorn For Every Heart
Angelchick

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:47 pm

numba 6

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Retten » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:30 pm

cool so far it a tie between 6 and 3 with 2 votes for each (I vote for 6 lol)

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Retten » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:41 pm

Alright my latest drawing a work in progress its just the head right now :sweat:
I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to finish him but I think I have a fairly good idea unfortunately it means some of his hair isn't visible and I was so happy with how it came out to oh well it will look cool I'm going to CG it :thumb:

Quick note: I was searching on Google.com and I ran across this very thread :wow!: talk about surprising! oh and I found a way to minimize my smudging most of it came form me brushing off my eraser crumbs (yes I have a rubber eraser but it just isn't as accurate as my stick eraser that leaves crumbs :P ) so I all do is grab a really big paintbrush the kind Crayola makes for kids (one of my little sisters :eyeroll: ) and brush off the crumbs so my hand doesn't smear my drawing!!!! :)

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby inkhana » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:53 pm

Very nice! You've got pretty good symmetry going on, nice expression...good hair...but he has no neck! Oh my gosh! LOL :P

There are really only a couple/three things that strike me as off about the pic just from looking at the thumbnail. The first is the face shape. Although it's -almost- symmetrical, like I said above, take a look at the distance from the corner of each eye to the side of the face. On the left side, it's a little wider (and in my estimation, a little too wide) while the right looks good. :)

The second thing are the ears...they're still striking me as a little bit small...maybe you might try drawing them as a little longer, but a little closer to the head?

The third thing isn't really something that's wrong so much as a matter of preference, but I've noticed that eyes that have a smaller iris and pupil tend to have more expression. They're sometimes a little more difficult to make look focused, but they tend to be more intense. This is the reason why in anime, when characters get angry, their irises often shrink...it brings out aggression (and a lot of other emotions too) a lot better. This is as opposed to sadness, which is actually benefitted by a larger iris/pupil because you gotta figure out a place to put all those wiggly highlights! LOL!

Overall though, it's looking good! Keep up the good work!

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Retten » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:14 pm

inkhana wrote:Very nice! You've got pretty good symmetry going on, nice expression...good hair...but he has no neck! Oh my gosh! LOL :P

There are really only a couple/three things that strike me as off about the pic just from looking at the thumbnail. The first is the face shape. Although it's -almost- symmetrical, like I said above, take a look at the distance from the corner of each eye to the side of the face. On the left side, it's a little wider (and in my estimation, a little too wide) while the right looks good. :)

The third thing isn't really something that's wrong so much as a matter of preference, but I've noticed that eyes that have a smaller iris and pupil tend to have more expression. They're sometimes a little more difficult to make look focused, but they tend to be more intense. This is the reason why in anime, when characters get angry, their irises often shrink...it brings out aggression (and a lot of other emotions too) a lot better. This is as opposed to sadness, which is actually benefitted by a larger iris/pupil because you gotta figure out a place to put all those wiggly highlights! LOL!

:wow!: Oh no where did his neck go now I'll have to go find it again! It never stays in place ;)
Ahh! thanks for catching the wide head I completely missed that :bang:

Oh I knew I should have posted what I had in mind for him I intende to give him a hood so there are not going to be any ears in the final pic :forehead:

Thats a good point on the eyes I will have to keep that in mind!

Thanks a bunch Ink! you rock! :jump:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Mave » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:18 pm

now that I've taken notice of you due to your posting in one of my thread (hehe), I might as well put in my two cents here.

Personally, I prefer No. 2 but then again, I could have a weird taste. :lol:

Getting that symmetry on the face can be challenging even for those who have been drawing for a long time. I still haven't perfected it yet. Grrr.. What I always do is turn the paper the other way, hold it up against some light and see whether it's looking OK from the 'flipped' side.

If you want a greater impact on the angry look, feel free to widen the mouth and let your character show more teeth. *gnashes* "Yyaaaaaeee gggrrrrrr"

*CAA members give Mave a weird look..*

*She wisely shuts up and exits quietly*

But I like your work, do keep practising!! :thumb:
Mave

Postby Retten » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:50 am

Thanks for the tips Mave! :jump:

Ok here is my latest wallpaper!

Well after reading the first volume of Blade Of The Immortal I decided to make a wallpaper for it! It has some of the best artwork I have ever seen in a manga! I had allot of fun playing with blending properties in this one and I sure did get allot of practice. Hope you enjoy! (note I do not recommend Blade Of The Immortal to anyone below 16 lots of blood)

http://www.deviantart.com/view/5106489/ (for full resolution version)

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Previous Next

Return to Art Corner