MichiruT conquers procrastination

Upload your work in this forum for others to comment on.

Postby Mave » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:01 am

Dear all,

Here is one of the manga pages I've worked on for Chap 2. I'm surprised at how long it took me to complete this (approximately 8-10 solid hours) but it's probably because I'm new to this and I'm still developing my screentoning style and technique. :) I tried to make the following improvements:

1) Screentones
2) Typed fonts
3) Speech bubbles
4) Inking
5) More space (less cramming)

Pls let me know what else I can improve (apart from time efficiency!)

Is it Ok for me to use capital letters for conversations?
Are the speech bubbles clear enough? Or is anyone getting confused?
Do you think the screentones suit the situation?
What can I do to make the hair look better? I really don't like the way I colored the hair. More lines/details on the hair perhaps...?

Remember to read it from RIGHT to LEFT.
Sorry, only one page so far....but hey, my finals are almost over! I'll be gearing up in the next few weeks....

:brow:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mave

Postby Shinja » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:17 am

its very good, though you may want to simplify your inking and shadeing , 8-10 hours is a long time to spend on one page. but it is very awsome :thumb:
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby shooraijin » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:22 am

The shading is great and so is the layout.

I'm not crazy about the font, but the dialogue and layout is very sensible and easy to follow. Otherwise, I think it's excellent. :thumb:
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby inkhana » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:29 am

Wow MichiruT! That looks great! The screentones look marvelous.

Yes, it surely does take a long time to finish. My pages, depending on difficulty, usually take 3-5 hours.

May I offer a suggestion? The following site has fonts tailored for comic book/manga usage (some even have the appropriate names; I use Letter-O-Matic for mine, but there are also Anime Ace (my sister's preferred font) and Manga Temple, which if memory serves is more elegant than the other two. I think these fonts might complement your layouts a little better...:thumb:

http://www.blambot.com/menu.html

BTW, where did you get your screentones? Did you buy them and scan them, or download them?

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Mave » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:55 am

Simplifying the shading is a suggestion I'll definitely digest on. I think shoujo manga tend to use a lot more shading/screentones (IMO). I was using "Hot Gimmick" as a reference...then after reading Shinja's comment, I looked into "Rurouni Kenshin" and realized there wasn't as much screentones..hmm..I'll work on balancing them out.

I DID have trouble with the speech bubbles and font type. There wasn't much to choose from my default photoshop font list. :sweat: Yes, I will do something about the fonts..

Omigosh, Inky that's an excellent link indeed! Thanks so much!! :hug:

I made some screentones myself like the clouds but the trees, lightning/electric (whatever it was) background where Solomon was highly optimistic :lol: was downloaded from the following link.

http://www.geocities.com/kiraseldon/screentones.html

There were a few more random pages but at the moment, I prized the above link the most for helping me to start up. I am currently building my screentone library, maybe we should do some trading...hehe

stay tuned...I'll be kicking in more manga/artwork soon!
Mave

Postby shooraijin » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:09 am

Those tones are excellent!

A favourite font of mine is Comic Book Commando. I've seen it offered for download at a number of places in both Windows and Mac TrueType.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby true_noir_chloe » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:27 pm

Hey Michiru, those look awesome :wow!: I knew you were such a talent. ^-^ I look forward to talking to you later. I also liked the font you used, but I did notice that the shojos I'm reading have more of a Comic Sans look to the dialogue. Keep up your good work. ;)

I added that site Ink mentioned to my bookmarks - thanks Ink. :)

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby inkhana » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:59 pm

MichiruT wrote:I made some screentones myself

How do you do that? Did you process them with a filter or something? I've never tried it before...

...but the trees, lightning/electric (whatever it was) background where Solomon was highly optimistic :lol: was downloaded from the following link.

http://www.geocities.com/kiraseldon/screentones.html

Oh! That page is so cool! Those look similar to some thumbnails I dled from another screentone site. I have really been looking for some good, clear action lines to use, too...^^

There were a few more random pages but at the moment, I prized the above link the most for helping me to start up. I am currently building my screentone library, maybe we should do some trading...hehe

[color=darkgreen]Sure! :thumb: If you happen to come across more pages like that, be sure to let me know...]

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Mave » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:25 pm

oh goodness...I never knew you can enhance your font style!! I just learnt how to download and install font types :red:

This is so embarassing and exciting at the same time! It's the same feeling I had when I discovered screentones... :hits_self Am I dumb or what? Anyway, learning this has motivated me to create more artwork to post..

I'm changing my manga title to "kingdomcome" and I will revamp Chap 1 (re-storyboard and screentone) For now, I've attached the cover page for chap 2. Pls let me know what you think of..

1) body proportions (I'm not sure whether it's OK) I don't even know why I do this to myself...why I chose to draw Doug posing that way.(had to look at myself in the mirrors a few times and I'm not a good model since I'm a small gal) arrgghh...body proportions are so challenging :bang: :bang:
2) Title sideways....is it annoying? Or you don't care how the title is presented..? Let me know, my dears. I know the fonts aren't the best yet..but I will improve eventually as I experiment more. ;)

Inky:

I made some screentones using filters (if I remember the exact functions properly)..
The clouds: "Cloud" and use a white rough brush/sponge(?) to shape
Lines: Made multiple lines ^^
Doug's jacket in attached image: Diffuse>pencil sketch>brighten/contrast

I'm looking for some good building backgrounds, flames/burning background, "shoujo" flowers backgrounds...hehe I don't have any good action lines yet...I'll work on that when I start more action-oriented manga..^^
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mave

Postby EireWolf » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:41 pm

The body proportions are pretty good! Only a couple things bother me, and only slightly: It seems like we should see a bit of his left hand, because of the angle the arm is at. Also, the hips bother me just a little... They seem a little girlish to me, but that could be because it kinda' looks like a skirt he's wearing, since there are no details to suggest pants.

But honestly, I only noticed those things because you asked for a critique... It looks great! I love the face especially, and the glasses. Nice job with the overshirt; clothing can be tricky. :thumb:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby Mave » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:09 pm

[quote="EireWolf"]The body proportions are pretty good! Only a couple things bother me, and only slightly: It seems like we should see a bit of his left hand, because of the angle the arm is at. Also, the hips bother me just a little... They seem a little girlish to me, but that could be because it kinda' looks like a skirt he's wearing, since there are no details to suggest pants.

But honestly, I only noticed those things because you asked for a critique... It looks great! I love the face especially, and the glasses. Nice job with the overshirt]

:lol: I know what you mean about the hips... :red: :red: I debated whether I should add more details to indicate that it's pants (heaven forbid if I ever allowed Doug to wear skirts!) but I got lazy. :sweat:

Hey, now that you mentioned it, I see what you mean about his left hand. I originally intended the hand to go way backwards (rather than sidewards)...and then, I must have changed the angle later on without realizing it. Dang..it's annoying (wish I realized it earlier) but that's exactly why I need feedback from you guys. ;) Thanks!

Doug: Ack! Don't you DARE make me girlish, MichiruT! I'll kill you if you destroy my cool guy image.
MichiruT: 0.o ....alright alright, I'll do better next time, K? hehe
Mave

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:43 pm

Very nice quality, overall.

MichiruT wrote:Is it Ok for me to use capital letters for conversations?

Everyone does it.

MichiruT wrote:Are the speech bubbles clear enough? Or is anyone getting confused?

I'm good.

MichiruT wrote:What can I do to make the hair look better? I really don't like the way I colored the hair. More lines/details on the hair perhaps...?

If it's any comfort, I didn't notice. Lines would help, though.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tet-chan » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:15 am

nice drawings :rock:
Tet-chan

Woohoo Thank God finals are over!!!

Postby Mave » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:03 pm

my finals are over!!! :dance:

So I actually have time to work on my homepage and add more pics!

This evening, I twiddled around with layers and colors. This pic isn't really fluffy bishonen (it was meant to be more like the way Zombie Powder/Saiyuki are drawn: more jaw, wider mouth and eyes further apart). Hope you guys see a 'guy'. :lol: I like the colors. The only thing that bugs me is my tendency to draw heads a little too big. :sweat: Hope you guys like it.

EDIT: It should be "nothing to be proud OF" Gah...forgot the "OF" :hits_self:
Mave

Postby kaze » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:12 pm

i see a guy ^_^
wow that's really good -- the shading on the skin is nice
visit my DA and SA pages please~

deviantArt+++クリック+++
sheezyArt++クリック++

夢の中でも ふらふら する。
kaze

Postby inkhana » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:37 pm

Yup, that's a guy all right! ^^ And I think he looks cool!

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:32 am

I didn't really find it gender ambiguous. For that, see Sai of Hikaru no Go...

Good job, though.
uc pseudonym

Postby true_noir_chloe » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:47 am

Michi, please don't try to draw like Saiyuki. I'm sure flames will be sent my way for that comment. I don't like the Saiyuki heads. Your guy, however, looked really good. His eyes weren't too far apart and he had a much better mouth proportion, than Saiyuki.

Your guy is a real cutie. ^_^

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby inkhana » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:57 am

> Michi, please don't try to draw like Saiyuki. I'm sure flames will be sent my way for that comment. I don't like the Saiyuki heads.

Well, now is that precisely fair? I mean, Michiru might be fond of that style. I don't like DBZ style but I don't ask anyone not to draw it just because I don't like it...

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Danyasaur » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:39 am

that's cool Michiru! and yes it's definitly a guy.
[color="DimGray"]I don't believe that I would die if I saw you face to face;
but that my spirit would become so alive it took my body's place.

- Danya[/color]
Danyasaur

Postby Mave » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:47 pm

inkhana wrote:> Michi, please don't try to draw like Saiyuki. I'm sure flames will be sent my way for that comment. I don't like the Saiyuki heads.

Well, now is that precisely fair? I mean, Michiru might be fond of that style. I don't like DBZ style but I don't ask anyone not to draw it just because I don't like it...

:grin: Hey, guys! I practise drawing my characters in different styles so that I can be flexible. So don't worry, I can always go back to my 'original' style, which you've seen in my last few works. I've tried CLAMP, RK, Saiyuki, ZPowder and YYH 'style' just to name a few. I was actually aiming for Kubotite's style (see attachment below).

It's just an experiment, exploring different styles since I will work on a "relatively" shonen manga later on (it's another one of my own project apart from KingdomCome, Chloe, just for clarification ^^).

I can understand why you were worried though.;)

Glad to hear ppl generally like my latest piece. ^^ Thanks!
Mave

Postby true_noir_chloe » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:19 pm

I understand what you met Ink, and you're right.

Sorry Michi for the misunderstanding. I think that's great that you try all those styles for improvement. It's like writing in different voices that you might not be comfortable just to improve on your writing. *hehe* I said that out of concern that you might stop doing the Michiru-style work that I've come to admire.^^

>>I can understand why you were worried though.<<

LOL Yes, you can understand completely. ^_^

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby true_noir_chloe » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:20 pm

Forgot to tell you. That is an awesome pic. colors and faces, expressions. It's great! ^^

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Angelchick » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:00 pm

awesome your last two drawings are really good
everywhere i go i can't escape your energy - Skillet

this isn't war, but these are still battles
and battles make it all die out - Dead Poetic

Sometimes I don't know
Where I am
Where I'll be - A Thorn For Every Heart
Angelchick

Postby Gypsy » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:48 am

Excellent, excellent work! I know how hard it is to develope your own style, but you seem totally all set with it. I'm still working on mine .. :sweat:
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

an attempt to get back on track

Postby Mave » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:05 pm

Woa..

it's been a while since I've posted at this thread huh? I had to dig through the archives to get this back...*shuffles through folders*

Neeways, thought I'll post some works despite my lack of updates on my manga. I made these pics for my webmanga "character" page. Yeah, they are "slob-colored"...meaning it's really simple and done in a slovenly manner.

I don't know what ppl think of the colors I've picked for each character but it's been interesting to see my characters in color. I may change the colors if I don't like it. The two more characters are new and will be in the next chapter ...chap 2 (haha so slow) by the end of this week.

Gomen gomen to everyone for my erm....inconsistency. :sweat: :sweat:
Mave

Postby true_noir_chloe » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:18 pm

I love your Doug and the guy with the blue shirt. I'm glad to see you're posting, slovenly or not. ^_^ Hey, you should post those great bishies, Ryu and Pierce. ~-^ *hehe*

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:34 am

I like the same two people true_noir_chloe does, though probably for different reasons. Thanks for posting. Just doing anything puts you ahead of the majority of manga-creators here... I can be patient.
uc pseudonym

Postby Little T-chan » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:15 pm

MichiruT!! It's soooooo good!! I'm so excited to read the rest of it! ^____^
[SIZE="6"][color="Pink"]♥ [font="Impact"]t-chan[/font]![/color][/SIZE]

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="Pink"]Everyday, it's You i live for!
Everyday, i'll follow after You!
Everyday, i'll walk with You, my Lord![/color][/SIZE][/font]
Little T-chan

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:50 pm

youre amazing, MAve! i just relized that you're a he...lol
Shao Feng-Li

Previous Next

Return to Art Corner