Halloween

Talk about anything in here.

Halloween

Postby Makachop^^128 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:53 am

I never liked Halloween when I was little, now I like it a bit more sense I'm less scared and go out with friends. I know that some people don't like it though, what are your thoughts on it? If you are dressing up what are you going as? I'm gonna be the Doctor this year! (Matt Smith version) Already have the blazer, pocket watch (already had that) and boots and making a bow-tie. Just can't decide whether to be a girl version or not and wear a skirt or pants........
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:20 am

My thoughts on it are that it's a harmless holiday in which kids dress up in fun costumes and go out to get candies. No one is getting on their knees and worshipping the devil or anything. :lol: Personally I might be going out with my friends and their babies this year. I'm soooo excited because this is my one friend's baby's first Halloween and I get to be there for it! Though I'll admit I'm a little torn. Before my friend knew she was pregnant we had decided we where to old to go out ourselves for candy anymore and I was going to stay home with my mom. My mother seemed pretty disappointed when I told her my friends are going to take the children out and wanted me to come with them so now I feel entirly terrible. I don't want to miss little Andrew's first Halloween, but I don't want my mom to feel sad and alone on Halloween either so I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't go now.
TopazRaven

Postby TheMewster » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:53 am

Halloween is rooted primarily in Samhein, but some traditions come from All Saints Day. Personally I believe te problem with Halloween OS not that witchcraft is PRACTICED (people do it everyday why worry about one particular day?) the problem is that witchcraft is glorified. Personally I believe that Christians should not be celebrating this pagan 'holy day', but instead should use it as an opportunity for evangelism, with all the bored crowds and all.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:07 am

...aaaaand with Mewster's statement this just turned into a theological discussion.

I've never seen witchcraft 'glorified' on Halloween- the witches are still evil, the ghosts and demons still come out and haunt, it's just that this is a month/holiday where it's focused on more than others because it was previously a pagan holiday (unlike, say, Christmas or something, amirite? ;) Yes Mewster, that was a hint).

Seriously, my opinion is that the pagan roots have been dissolved and are so not serious at all these days, that it's just an excuse to get scared and dress up and have fun.
Atria35

Postby Okami » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:54 am

Halloween is a difficult time of year for me. Nothing against the holiday itself, I just struggle with myself and past memories.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:06 am

It's just a chance to dress up as something fun. That's how I see it. I know there are some few out there that do practice the pagan aspects of Halloween, but I would say on the whole, the bulk of society doesn't follow that. Still, it's best to be safe with flashlights, glows sticks, and go with a group.

And who says you have to celebrate Halloween on Halloween? I've seen people do all kinds of fun stuff on Halloween that didn't involve goblins, ghosts, or witches.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:26 am

This thread will be locked if it persues debate pertaining the religious aspects of the holiday. Considering that we've had to kill his debate every year, I'm somewhat hoping people will actually obey site rules regarding this.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby DaughterOfZion » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:36 am

My school has trick or treating in the dorms for little kids. So I might do that this year. :3 Though I don't know what I'd be. >.> I could be a fox, but then I'd have to explain to my roommate where I got my tail. And ears. <.< xD
/ 人 ‿‿人 \
"Validation is for parking."- Steal Like an Artist Austin Kleon
I have deduced that your imagination has no coherence whatsoever.- Kyōya Ōtori
DaughterOfZion

Postby Neane » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:39 am

To tell you the truth, I treat Halloween as any other day. Plus, my family treats it as All Hallows Eve.
Neane

Postby Riggidig » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:31 pm

Well, even though Halloween is an "American thing", it's picked up here in South Africa over recent years (mostly dance clubs and whatnot will have parties where you can dress up and win prizes). Only once or twice though in the last 10 years I believe I've seen children actually dress up and walking around at night on Halloween. Personally, eh, I dunno. Never really given much thought to it (or participated in it). Looks like fun though :-)
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:55 pm

I'm buying Halloween candy and renting some horror films from the library. My favorite way to celebrate- and I don't have to share! ^.^
Atria35

Postby Neane » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:57 pm

Be sure to watch them from 1:00 to 4:00 AM. That's the best time for watching Horror Films.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Neane (post: 1508463) wrote:Be sure to watch them from 1:00 to 4:00 AM. That's the best time for watching Horror Films.

xD I'll give it a shot! Since I have school that day, I don't know whether I'll be successful staying up (or getting up) that early. But I'll have them in from the time I get up until late that evening, for sure!
Atria35

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:01 pm

Go with the classics like Psycho by Alfred Hitchcock ;).

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:36 pm

Ooo! That one's a fabulous one! They have the Special Edition sitting in my library right now- I'd better check it out ASAP! I'm also thinking of checking out some of the ones I haven't seen yet, like Eraserhead and Session 9, along with ones I enjoyed before like Trick 'r Treat. Maybe that super-corny one that people liked this last year, Drag Me To Hell? I'm debating on it.
Atria35

Postby Neane » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:37 pm

You will LOVE Eraserhead! It's one of my favorites!

Be SURE to watch it from 1:00 to 3:30 AM. That's the Only time that is correct for experiencing the Masterpiece of Film that is called: Eraserhead.
Also, I recommend every other film made by David Lynch. Such as Blue Velvet and if you really want to be disturbed, I recommend you watch Inland Empire.
Neane

Postby USSRGirl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:59 pm

Mew -

You realize Christmas and Easter are both "pagan" holidays. Their origins were rooted in paganism and later became "Christian" via Rome. Neither is in the Bible. Neither is Jewish. Be consistent. If you aren't going to celebrate Halloween, don't celebrate Christmas or Easter then. Not saying i care what you do, but at least be informed. All of the symbolism in Easter relates to the fertility goddess/sun goddess, Christmas to the pagan solstice. I don't have an issue with people making these days "Christian" now if they want to, but the facts are the facts.
USSRGirl

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:09 pm

Working in retail, Halloween is just the start of what feels like one giant Holiday until after Easter. I don't celebrate Halloween though, are any holiday for that matter. Work just kinda makes me loathe them all.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:36 pm

Yeah for retail this is the Holiday Season for the next 5 months. Nonstop themed displays for everything!

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Makachop^^128 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:58 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1508448) wrote:This thread will be locked if it persues debate pertaining the religious aspects of the holiday. Considering that we've had to kill his debate every year, I'm somewhat hoping people will actually obey site rules regarding this.

Ooops >.< I didn't meant it to turn into a debate at all ._. sorry lol
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

Makachop^^128

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Atria, I would advise against Blue Velvet. It is quite disturbing and explicit. Only saw a small clip of it myself, but I wouldn't venture into seeing the whole thing.

K. Ayato

Postby Makachop^^128 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:06 pm

Atria35 (post: 1508462) wrote:I'm buying Halloween candy and renting some horror films from the library. My favorite way to celebrate- and I don't have to share! ^.^

I am terrified of horror movies D; I blank out.

Makachop^^128

Postby Lynna » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:13 pm

I've always loved the candy. I have such a sweet tooth! I'm not sure if I'll go trick-or-treating this year. Each year I try to prevent myself because "I'm getting too old" but... the candy....it's calling too me...XD
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:20 pm

K. Ayato (post: 1508521) wrote:Atria, I would advise against Blue Velvet. It is quite disturbing and explicit. Only saw a small clip of it myself, but I wouldn't venture into seeing the whole thing.

Hrmmm. That does make me think twice. I don't mind disturbing, but I will have to check it out and watch a little to see how explicit it is. If I don't like it, I can always turn it off!
[quote="Makachop^^128 (post: 1508523)"]I am terrified of horror movies D] You could do something like Pooh's Halloween, and shows like that! They're so adorable! ^.^ I'm not just doing horror- I'm also planning on watching Nightmare Before Xmas, myself.
Atria35

Postby Twister980 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:23 pm

I don't mind people going out and having Costume parties, but as Mewster said, it is a pagan Holiday.
Image Image "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Twister980

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:32 pm

Lynna (post: 1508527) wrote:I've always loved the candy. I have such a sweet tooth! I'm not sure if I'll go trick-or-treating this year. Each year I try to prevent myself because "I'm getting too old" but... the candy....it's calling too me...XD

You're a better person then me. I went trick-or-treating last year. I was 21. :sweat:
TopazRaven

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Atria35 (post: 1508532) wrote:You could do something like Pooh's Halloween, and shows like that! They're so adorable! ^.^ I'm not just doing horror- I'm also planning on watching Nightmare Before Xmas, myself.

Or "its the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown." Classic show.

As for me I probably won't do anything special unless there's something good on TV.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Twister, this is the second and final warning for this thread. Do not ignore mod posts and do not make a discussion of the religious aspects of the holiday. If this continues this thread will be locked and further action may be taken.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Neane » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:53 pm

Yes, Blue Velvet makes Friday the 13th look like a kid's show.
It does not try to scare you, it presents the worse part of Humanity. Think of the type of sins that are the worst according to the bible. It shows it in full force. I recommend you read the reviews on IMDb and read what it is about before you watch it even a little. It's the most disturbing movie I watched before I watched Inland Empire. Inland Empire is the most disturbing movie ever made. Inland Empire brings out every Nightmare you have ever had in your life and shows it to you. Do not watch it now that I think about it.
Neane

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:55 pm

I'm kinda glad I live in an apartment complex. Last Halloween, not one kid knocked on our door asking for candy. It was a bit disappointing though, 'cause my husband and I bought a 1-pound bag just for that reason. Oh well.

K. Ayato

Next

Return to General