People who have knowledge of USA History...

Talk about anything in here.

People who have knowledge of USA History...

Postby Lynna » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:18 pm

...Is this True O.o? (look at the attachments)
I saw a friend post it on Facebook, and I was shocked. It just seems too weird to be a coincidence, but it's got to be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby airichan623 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:32 pm

Most of this is true, but Lincoln was never known by three names, or at the very least they have to explain what they mean by that. The Monroe, Maryland, thing is totally trivial.

The one I can tell you is wrong though is that that Lincoln was shot in a theatre called Ford's Theatre. And John Wilkes Booth was caught in a barn, which I guess you sorta could call a warehouse.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Atria35 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Like Airi said, they do have a few facts wrong, like the theater name. And the shot in the head thing seems like a 'well, duh!'- if you're going to kill someone, where else would you aim? You're more likely to hit that than the heart. While losing a kid was less common when Kennedy was president, it was very common in Lincoln's. He wasn't the only one to have a child die in the White House, and some of them might have died whether or not he was President.
Atria35

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:45 pm

As with a lot of things like this, Snopes has an article on it that is pretty thorough.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Lynna » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:55 pm

airichan623 (post: 1507656) wrote:Most of this is true, but Lincoln was never known by three names, or at the very least they have to explain what they mean by that. The Monroe, Maryland, thing is totally trivial.

The one I can tell you is wrong though is that that Lincoln was shot in a theatre called Ford's Theatre. And John Wilkes Booth was caught in a barn, which I guess you sorta could call a warehouse.

Ah, It didn't say lincoln was known by three names, is says his assisin was known by three names (or something)
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:58 pm

My favorite part? The mention of an "assisnation," and later on, an "assinator." What are those, I wonder?

Truly, these are credible historians.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby TWWK » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:24 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1507680) wrote:My favorite part? The mention of an "assisnation," and later on, an "assinator." What are those, I wonder?.

Bwahahaha...I was thrown off by some other grammar issues, but those misspellings...boy oh boy. :P

Anyway, a lot of these statements are obviously trying to make coincidences out of the most trivial of statements. And as the Snopes article points out, some are just wrong.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:47 pm

Well, it was good for a nice laugh in least. :lol:
TopazRaven

Postby ich1990 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:38 pm

Clearly, the only explanation is that there is a stand user nearby.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Return to General