Gamers solve Riddle to Aids

Talk about anything in here.

Gamers solve Riddle to Aids

Postby Sapphire225 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:06 pm

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2011/09/18/computer-gamers-solve-problem-in-aids-research-that-puzzled-scientists-for-years/

Not really old news, but pretty interesting news I thought. Ithink we may be one step closer to finding the cure for AIDS, or at least how to disable it.

It was a success, and more would follow. After the competition, the players solved an even more important problem. They discovered the structure of a protein belonging to the Mason-Pfizer monkey virus (M-PMV), a close relative of HIV that causes AIDS in monkeys.

These viruses create many of their proteins in one big block. They need to be cut apart, and the viruses use a scissor enzyme –a protease – to do that. Many scientists are trying to find drugs that disable the proteases. If they don’t work, the virus is hobbled – it’s like a mechanic that cannot remove any of her tools from their box.

To disable M-PMV’s protease, we need to know exactly what it looks like. Like real scissors, the proteases come in two halves that need to lock together in order to work. If we knew where the halves joined together, we could create drugs that prevent them from uniting. But until now, scientists have only been able to discern the structure of the two halves together. They have spent more than ten years trying to solve structure of a single isolated half, without any success.

"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Furen » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:21 pm

I can't believe anyone said anything about this yet, I thought this was such a cool discovery. Gamers helping medical advancements, for free at that. Gamers have excuses to play more now (we help humanity!)
it's a fun game, if difficult...
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:59 pm

One of the major reasons this is good news is, up and until now, the only way to block the protease with Protease inhibitors meds, with is one of the two or three in one drugs. With the locking of the Protease, this means that the next meds will not block, but remove the enzyme, which is used by HIV to cleave nascent proteins for the final assembly of new virons.

It also means that better gene therapy for virus or many kinds cancers.

Something else that is not in the news right now is, There is a Phase I trial of a therapeutic HIV type 1 vaccine, Vacc-4x, in HIV type 1-infected individuals with or without antiretroviral therapy.

[font="Century Gothic"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Return to General