Don't laugh at me

Talk about anything in here.

Don't laugh at me

Postby Edward » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:39 pm

So. The CD player in my car broke. It'll cost about 200 dollars to get a new one. It'll cost more to get it fixed. So now if I want to listen to my own music in my car, I'll have to listen to cassettes. I've all ready recorded Century Child on a cassette. I'm going to record another CD tonight.

It's not old fasioned.

It's retro.
Edward

Postby Makachop^^128 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:58 pm

lol XD I love cessettes :3 I used to listen to them all the time, I remember when I was little I got a portable cassette player and I thought I was so hip with that thing XDD
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:00 pm

Cassettes aren't that bad. The only downside I know from experience is you can't put 'em on "shuffle".
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Dante » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:12 pm

??? Why not just get a CD or MP3 player and a portable speaker like such:

I've seen them at Big Lots for about $5 in the past. It's a lot easier then switching the format of all your songs.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:13 pm

I have a small cassette player and a bag of cassettes, including the Final Countdown. I don't see a problem with it.
Ante Bellum

Postby Edward » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:18 pm

Dante (post: 1504727) wrote:??? Why not just get a CD or MP3 player and a portable speaker like such:

I've seen them at Big Lots for about $5 in the past. It's a lot easier then switching the format of all your songs.

Because the speakers in my car are way better than any I could get for $5. And I don't like having all the sound on one side of my ear.
Edward

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:24 pm

I hate when people pre-empt what they're going to say with, 'Don't laugh at me...' or something similar. It promotes self-conciousness and almost invites people to tease you about it. Try not to craft your own misery. Just saying.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Edward » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:29 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1504732) wrote:I hate when people pre-empt what they're going to say with, 'Don't laugh at me...' or something similar. It promotes self-conciousness and almost invites people to tease you about it. Try not to craft your own misery. Just saying.

I actually just picked that because it was the first title for the thread that I thought of (how's that for alliteration!). I knew the people here wouldn't make fun of me. In fact, I could pretty much guess that some people would think it was cool. But thanks anyways.
Edward

Postby Xeno » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:30 pm

iPhone + FM Transmitter = fixed the problem I have where my CD player decided it doesn't want to give up the Benjamin Gate CD that's been stuck in it for over a year.
Xeno

Postby Edward » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Xeno (post: 1504734) wrote:iPhone + FM Transmitter = fixed the problem I have where my CD player decided it doesn't want to give up the Benjamin Gate CD that's been stuck in it for over a year.

? I don't really understand this post. I know I didn't mention it, but there isn't a CD stuck in the player. It just won't read the discs. And I all ready have a working radio in the car. And my mp3 player has it's own FM radio. Perhaps you could explain it a little better?
Edward

Postby MomentOfInertia » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:10 pm

I think he Means an MP3 player with an FM transmitter, so it can transmit to the stereo in your car.

A while ago I had a CD player with a little adapter on it that slid into a car's tape deck. You might be able to find one of those. I don't know what it was called, it was all came as a set somebody found somewhere.

I wish I still had the darn thing, my car's just got a tape deck.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:37 pm

Oh man. Cassette tapes. That is retro. You get special hipster points, man.

I loved my old cassette tapes back in the day.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:06 pm

EPIC.

Actually, in our old car, we use a connection for an old CD Walkman with a cassette attachment. It works really really well. :)
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:11 pm

I use something like that for my mp3 players when I drive.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Xeno » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:39 pm

Edward (post: 1504735) wrote:? I don't really understand this post. I know I didn't mention it, but there isn't a CD stuck in the player. It just won't read the discs. And I all ready have a working radio in the car. And my mp3 player has it's own FM radio. Perhaps you could explain it a little better?

Basically what MoI said. I was stating that I have a similar issue because I have a CD trapped in my car stereo, whereas yours just doesn't read discs. I don't have a cassette player in my car though. So what I do instead is I have an FM transmitter that I plug into my iPhone (though you can get them for any MP3 player) and tune it to an FM station that doesn't have any or has very poor traffic on it, and I tune my car radio to it. That allows me to listen to my iPhone's music through my car stereo.
Xeno

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:10 am

My stereo thingy still has a cassette player on it :3 I haven't used it in a while.. I think my tapes are too old xD; I should buy some blanks and record songs from the radio.. See if it still works :3
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:38 am

Why does it cost $200 to get a new CD player? You can get them as cheap as $100 (maybe the cheapest of the cheapest isn't the best choice, but still)... Just install it yourself!

Dante (post: 1504727) wrote:??? Why not just get a CD or MP3 player and a portable speaker like such:

You seriously would not be able to hear those small speakers in my car.... cars are much louder environments than a room.

MomentOfInertia (post: 1504745) wrote:I think he Means an MP3 player with an FM transmitter, so it can transmit to the stereo in your car.

A while ago I had a CD player with a little adapter on it that slid into a car's tape deck. You might be able to find one of those. I don't know what it was called, it was all came as a set somebody found somewhere.

I wish I still had the darn thing, my car's just got a tape deck.

That's just a "tape adapter". Hmm.. which would have better quality - FM transmitter or tape adapter?
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby MomentOfInertia » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:40 am

Warrior4Christ (post: 1504870) wrote:Why does it cost $200 to get a new CD player? You can get them as cheap as $100 (maybe the cheapest of the cheapest isn't the best choice, but still)... Just install it yourself!

Is that replacement or aftermarket?

That's just a "tape adapter". Hmm.. which would have better quality - FM transmitter or tape adapter?

I think it would depend on the power of the transmitter and the quality of the tape deck/adapter, the difference is probably negligible within the same price range.

I'd go with the adapter just for the simplicity; though the transmitter is a more versatile option, good for both tape deck and broken/jammed CD players.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:38 am

MP3 player + FM transmitter is how I listen to my music in the car. I'd use a cassette adapter but my truck only has a CD player (which doesn't work anymore) and no tape deck. FM transmitters can be a pain depending on how crowded the airwaves are in your area, but I don't have too many problems with mine. You just might have to change the frequency from time to time.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Riona » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:13 am

Yeah, but cassettes don't last. I found a bunch of my old faves from the 70's and now they sound just terrible. My old records (some of them are really old because I swiped them from my parents are still pretty good.

And cars are particularly bad because your cassettes cook from being left in there and all car players eat cassettes eventually.

Eight-tracks were worse. If you had one you like they died if you played them all summer. I had some eight-tracks I really loved that I can't replace...
Riona

Postby aliveinHim » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:30 am

OMG! Back when I was 10 I was babysitting and the little girl I was watching dropped the cassette player on my face. My lip swelled to twice the size.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Davidizer13 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:40 am

I've got a cassette player in my car and an aux port adapter tape; if I used my (very outdated) mp3 player more, that's probably what I'd be using to listen to my music in the car, but usually I find NPR or some other local radio station more interesting than my own music.

A word about FM transmitters, though, my brother got a couple off of Amazon a while back, and neither lasted longer than a month or so; at the same time, a friend of mine has had one that's been around for a few years, last I checked. I don't know what either of them paid, so I can't tell if you actually get what you pay for. Also, they were using them for off-brand mp3 players, so there might be better luck sticking with iPod-specific accessories. As always, caveat emptor!
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:58 am

I have a Pionneer deck in my car. There's a USB port in the back of it, so the iPod/thumbdrive wire is hidden behind the dash and in the glove box :) Only cost about $150. I just have my old iPod video hooked up to it.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Dante » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:09 pm

You know what - no that I think about it. This isn't REALLY retro - what you need to go really retro dude... is an A-TRACK!

FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby rocklobster » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Hey I still have all my cassettes. ALthough, I'm considering getting rid of them. Space is scarce in my room.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1504927) wrote:I have a Pionneer deck in my car. There's a USB port in the back of it, so the iPod/thumbdrive wire is hidden behind the dash and in the glove box :) Only cost about $150. I just have my old iPod video hooked up to it.

I have one that sounds pretty much the same. Except I don't have an iPod, so it's useless.

MomentOfInertia (post: 1504884) wrote:Is that replacement or aftermarket?

Aftermarket of course - they're generally just as suitable and are likely to have more features. The genuine part's probably 3 times more.

Warrior4Christ

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:29 am

Warrior4Christ (post: 1505048) wrote:I have one that sounds pretty much the same. Except I don't have an iPod, so it's useless.

Not quite... You can use any thumb drive with it. So when this old iPod does die, I'll go and get a $20 thumb drive and call it a day :D
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:33 am

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1505053) wrote:Not quite... You can use any thumb drive with it. So when this old iPod does die, I'll go and get a $20 thumb drive and call it a day :D

Gotcha. I'm pretty sure mine is proprietary iPod-only.

Warrior4Christ

Postby Edward » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:23 am

Xeno (post: 1504812) wrote:Basically what MoI said. I was stating that I have a similar issue because I have a CD trapped in my car stereo, whereas yours just doesn't read discs. I don't have a cassette player in my car though. So what I do instead is I have an FM transmitter that I plug into my iPhone (though you can get them for any MP3 player) and tune it to an FM station that doesn't have any or has very poor traffic on it, and I tune my car radio to it. That allows me to listen to my iPhone's music through my car stereo.

Does that only work on iPods or will it work for a Sony player? I could try that and see how it works.

Warrior4Christ (post: 1504870) wrote:Why does it cost $200 to get a new CD player?

A new radio will be about $75, and then I have to get a new face plate so it'll fit my car. Then there's installation. I don't want to spend all that money then screw something up by trying to DIY.

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1505053) wrote:You can use any thumb drive with it. So when this old iPod does die, I'll go and get a $20 thumb drive and call it a day :D

My MP3 player is neither an iPod nor a thumb drive player. It's a Sony Walkman. So I don't think that will work.

I think I'll try the adapter that goes into the tape deck, since I could probably get it for a good price. If that doesn't work, I think I'll stick to listening to the radio and cassette tapes. Or try the FM transmitter.
Edward

Postby Rewin » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:37 am

I use the cassette adapter in my dad's chevelle and it works great, just make sure you turn the volume up high on the mp3 player (or whatever device you use) and turn the volume on your radio all the way down and start from there or it doesn't sound right.
Another option would be to go to a pick-a-part and find a car just like yours that was wrecked and get the radio out of there. Installation should be super easy then and you should get it for cheap.
Mmmmmm, bacon.....
Rewin

Next

Return to General