Help! Evangelism advice anyone?

Talk about anything in here.

Help! Evangelism advice anyone?

Postby TheMewster » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:37 pm

I feel God calling me to Evangelism and starting a Christian revolution in my school then the anime community. Any advice? Thanks and God bless you!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Sapphire225 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:22 pm

This probably wil be moved to the Theology Discussion area.

Anyway, if you are going to evangelize, keep in mind that actions will speak louder than words and you'll need to be well versed in the questions you'll be ask from who you'll evanglize to. Show yourself through faith and keep in mind that you won't always be successful, but if done right, you'll reach out to many.

Edit: Hm...I guess not (for belonging to TD I mean). Shows what I know.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby TheMewster » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:59 pm

Oh, didn't think this would be Theology. I thought Theology was debating verses and doctrines in the Holy Bible.
Hey mods, if this gets moved, will you please explain what counts as Theology before deleting/locking/moving it so I can at least learn from my mistake? Thanks and God bless you!
And thanks for the advice Sapphire-chan!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby aliveinHim » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:11 pm

http://www.livingwaters.com/. Here's some help if you need it. :). All Christians should have the hearts for evangelism.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:14 pm

Just remember to be kind and loving to the people you are witnessing to, even if they aren't very nice in return. You are speaking for Christ here so remember not to spread the hate. I don't have a fondness for evangelism, then again I was also on the bad end of some not so good evangelism before so I guess I'm talking out of bitterness.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Midori » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:23 pm

I don't think this needs to be in theology discussion. However, that means people should not start debating or arguing about what methods are better for evangelism than others. That would belong in TD.

The biggest requirement for evangelism is that you be a good sincere Christian yourself. If you call yourself a Christian but then start doing hypocritical or cruel things, it will have a negative effect on the reputation of Christianity. But if you are honest and pure, people will see that, and then you won't have to shove your religion in your friends' faces.
[quote="1 Peter 3:8-17 (NIV, 2011)"]Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. For,

“]
Of course, no Christian is perfect. But admitting to your faults and being honest is the way to work around your imperfections.
Midori

Postby goldenspines » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:29 pm

TheMewster (post: 1469633) wrote:Oh, didn't think this would be Theology. I thought Theology was debating verses and doctrines in the Holy Bible.
Hey mods, if this gets moved, will you please explain what counts as Theology before deleting/locking/moving it so I can at least learn from my mistake? Thanks and God bless you!
And thanks for the advice Sapphire-chan!
Since you asked, the definition of theology is as follows:
dictionary wrote:Theology : the study of religious faith, practice, and experience]especially[/I] : the study of God and of God's relation to the world
Evangelism seems to fall under this category since it is indeed related to the study of religion (i.e. Christianity).
In this case, since the thread is not a discussion thread yet (which is what the Theology Discussion forum is meant for), I personally won't move it. But if another mod deems it better to move this thread, then that's that.

And, Midori beat me to explaining, as always. ^_^

And, on topic, I know little to nothing about Evangelism beyond that quote, "Preach the Gospel wherever you go, and if necessary, use words."
goldenspines

Postby J.D3 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:07 am

I haven't had much experience with 'evangelism' myself (I think), though I think I could offer a couple of things that may help.

1. Like in anything, make sure it's God calling you to do what it is you feel to do. If you haven't already, pray and try to listen out to what He wants you to do & continue to pray throughout the process.
2. This might be a little bit heavy, but I think some things to consider when evanglising can be found in Romans 12:9-21 where Paul writes about love and showing love to others, which I feel is an integral part to sharing your faith with others.

Anyway, that's my 5 cents on the matter. Completely up to you what you do with that.

God bless you, strengthen you & guide you firmly as you go about His work Mewster!

EDIT: Funnily enough, Romans 12 is the focus of the creative department at my Church this year...
J.D3

Postby Hiryu » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:17 am

While you may have good intentions, forcing people into what you believe is not right. If they don't want to be a Christian, don't force the issue on them. People are already critical enough about us shoving religion down their throats. Your focus should be to present the gospel to them, by doing this you're planting seeds. Let God work on having them accept it. He's the only one that can make the seeds grow. It may be a few days, or a few years.

Evangelizing is important, but loving someone else, that is greater.

34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[c] [B]40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Matthew 22:34-40
Hiryu

Postby TWWK » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:23 am

About the greater anime community...that is a difficult, difficult wall to break. I've been developing community and relationship among anime fans online, particularly anibloggers, and it's been slow going. Anime fans tend to both be athetist/agnostic and anti-Christianity.

When you get to the point that you feel like doing some sort of large-scale evangelism in the anime community, I hope you'll contact me. I can give you more details about what I've been doing and perhaps we can work some together.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Return to General