Does anyone here have experience with being in the music industry?

Talk about anything in here.

Does anyone here have experience with being in the music industry?

Postby fermy6 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:21 am

So next year when I'm done with school I really wanna start breaking into the music industry....So does anyone here have any experience in this field?......I need to know like how to start off and what to expect and ya
If someone said 3 years from now
You'd be long gone
Id get up and punch their mouth
Cuz they're all wrong
I know better
Cuz you said forever
And ever
Who knew?
fermy6

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:07 am

This is going to sound pretty depressing.

My brother is in this field, both as an artist and as a producer. He has a lot to say about trying to get a record deal, so the following applies to that side of things. Not saying these will happen, but, since the proceeding characterizes the career of an overwhelming majority of aspiring musicians.

If you love music, then expect a difficult journey that is likely to bear little monetary fruit. If, instead, you love the idea of being famous, expect to be disappointed.

If you want to succeed, expect to work all day every day to perfect your craft, churn out new material and promote yourself. Expect to have much if not all of this hard work to go under appreciated, if not downright unnoticed by most people, including people that matter. Expect to eat lots of cheap food. Expect other people to always be looking out for themselves first and being willing to screw you over in order to better their own lot. Expect to want to give up.

If, knowing all of this, you love music enough to say, "I still can't not go into the industry," then expect to be fullfilled in spite of all of the above.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:39 am

He's got a good point. My cousin is also in a band and he in a sense learned the hard way that showing up for gigs doesn't really equal money in his pocket. He's still working day jobs in between performances.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:01 pm

As you've heard already, the "traditional" music industry is hard to break into. If you're interested in doing things differently, you might want to check out Severed Fifth ( http://www.severedfifth.com/ ) and see what these guys are doing. They're at the forefront of a movement to end-run around the music industry and work directly with their fans. It's an interesting time to be a musician.
Mithrandir

Postby ABlipinTime » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:27 pm

My dad is in the music industry: he's teaching people guitar lessons and on the side is trying to produce his own works.

You'd think it'd be difficult, and it kind is (once my dad becomes more 21st century and figures out computers, he'll do better, lol), but then there's this wonderful new thing called iTunes. Some of my dad's music (which he got posted on iTunes via another publishing company) can be found here:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/lundonsound/id405392423

Yeah, you're not going to make alot of money, at least not for awhile, but my dad finds it to be an enjoyable side business.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Sapphire225 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:48 am

Michael Bublé couldn't have said it better himself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBrlYtV60GA

Still, you should still pursue it if you want to do it. Just be aware you'll face adversity.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Arya Raiin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:25 pm

Hey Fermy! Have you got a video on youtube or something? I know a lot about the music industry since my dad works in it. For me give you some info that would be relevant (other than what everyone else has said) I need a little info about the music you do. PM me about it if you like.
Arya Raiin

Return to General