Beards: Manly or gross?

Talk about anything in here.

Beards: Manly or gross?

Postby Edward » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:19 pm

In response to the all the posts regarding beards in this thread, I decided that we needed a thread devoted to beards, and a poll to complement it. So what do you think of beards and facial hair in general?
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Hansha » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:21 pm

95% of the time...bad. Just because Chuck Norris can pull it of doesn't mean it looks good on everyone.
" The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:5
Hansha

Postby Atria35 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:22 pm

Can we have an 'it depends'? I like goatees over the big bushy things, and I know some men that look REALLY GOOD with them, and some that look REALLY BAD with them.
Atria35

Postby Ally-Ann » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:34 pm

Atria35 (post: 1464237) wrote:Can we have an 'it depends'? I like goatees over the big bushy things, and I know some men that look REALLY GOOD with them, and some that look REALLY BAD with them.

I agree. Most guys don't look that great with a full beard. Goatees, not as bad.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:35 pm

I think beards are cool as long as they're taken care of. I'm a big fan of hygiene.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby goldenspines » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:37 pm

I'm with Atria. It does really depend on the guy. Some guys just look more handsome without beards.
Though, more often than not, beards look great on guys. A beard (any type) can be very classy especially if a guy keep his well trimmed.

Beards on women are scary, though.
goldenspines

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:42 pm

Atria35 (post: 1464237) wrote:Can we have an 'it depends'? I like goatees over the big bushy things, and I know some men that look REALLY GOOD with them, and some that look REALLY BAD with them.

This. Give us a middle option!
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:48 pm

Beards are awesome.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:55 pm

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:57 pm

I kinda wish I could vote 'indifferent'. XD;

My Dad and my older brother both have beards, so I'm used to being around guys with them... but personally I find clean-shaven guys more attractive. >_>;;
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:11 pm

For the most part, the guys I hang out with can pull off a beard. A few can't.
I know that, more than once, I've been disappointed by a guy shaving off his beard.
Ante Bellum

Postby Rusty Claymore » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:18 pm

Hansha (post: 1464232) wrote:95% of the time...bad. Just because Chuck Norris can pull it of doesn't mean it looks good on everyone.

If it didn't look good before, it definitely won't look good after Chuck pulls it off. XP
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Lynna » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:51 pm

I tend to like guys without beards, but some look better with it. especially my Dad. he looks OLD whenever he trimms his beard too short.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby shooraijin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:53 pm

Tried growing a beard once. Didn't like the result. So I remain boyishly cleanshaven.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Peanut » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:24 pm

CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Koshka » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:36 pm

I used to have somewhat of a large (yet scraggly) beard. Everyone told me I looked like Abraham Lincoln. I didn't think the beard looked very good, so I trimmed it up a bit. A few people were actually disappointed about it ^_^
The user formerly known as Colonel Sanders

[color="Cyan"]"Be not wise in your own eyes, fear the LORD, turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones." -Proverbs 3:7-8[/color]

My Deviant Art
Koshka

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:40 pm

I go to a hipster school, so I've seen everything from the Amish neckbeard to the lumberjack full beard and everything in between. As much as I want to say I hate neckbeards and think they're gross, I still liked the guy I like when he had a hideously maintained neckbeard so yeah. >_> Honestly, it depends on the guy. Guys with very pronounce jawlines look totally awesome when they grow their facial hair out just enough to trace the jaw.

Also, I want someone to grow a chinstache so I can take a picture of it.

I've heard a few guys with girlfriends say that their girlfriends decide if the guy has facial hair or not. Like, if she doesn't want it he shaves it off. I think this is silly. I mean, if I had a boyfriend I'd be like, "Dude, the hair that grows on your face is not mine to control. Do what you want as long as you keep it neat."
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:08 pm

A good man knows a beard is his mane. It shows, in its growth, his raw power and untamed ferocity, and, in its grooming, his imperial command and stately magnificence.

A good man with a good beard is a scholar, a general, and a lover.
Fish and Chips

Postby Hansha » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:13 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1464293) wrote:A good man knows a beard is his mane. It shows, in its growth, his raw power and untamed ferocity, and, in its grooming, his imperial command and stately magnificence.

A good man with a good beard is a scholar, a general, and a lover.

What...is...this...
" The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:5
Hansha

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Only truth in its purest form.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Hansha » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1464300) wrote:Only truth in its purest form.

don't encourage it....
Hansha

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Those who spurn the truth are unworthy to hear it.
Fish and Chips

Postby Hansha » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:39 pm

eh, I'm outnumbered
Hansha

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:41 pm

shooraijin (post: 1464280) wrote:Tried growing a beard once. Didn't like the result. So I remain boyishly cleanshaven.

This is pretty much my position: when I grew a beard, it didn't look that great, but I was convinced it would get better if it just grew out more. It didn't, even as I took it to a youth camp and reduced it to chops, and then to a mustache over the rest of the summer, blissfully ignoring how awful my mom and sister told me it was. They were right.

Some girl who wasn't at the camp (and who I've never met before) saw a picture of it and liked it, though.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Some guys really need beards and/or mustaches. Like my father. The man just don't look right without his 'stache.

Also beards without mustaches are kind of weird to me.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ADXC » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:25 pm

I used to think beards were weird, but now I see the allure so I am now currently working on my own beard.

I think I look much better with it because without I look like a boy. XD (Honestly, I don't care what girls think about it because I'm already ugly so it doesn't matter. I think it adds character.)

The problem with my beard is that I can't seem to grow the middle part that is on the chin so there are like two patches growing on either side (Like Mr. Tumnus). I have my sideburns down. I just need to grow that stupid middle part!
ADXC

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:54 am

I think stubble and goatees look good on some men, but not necessarily full-on beards. But it really depends on the guy, as long as it doesn't look terrible, I say beards are a man's choice. :P
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:11 am

Five o'clock shadow=HOT.
Yuki-Anne

Postby shooraijin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:31 am

Depends on the shadow. I, for example, have a five o'clock shadow by around 10am. This distresses me somewhat.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby aliveinHim » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:24 am

I like shorter beards. It depends on the guy really. I loooooooooove a goatee with a soul patch (my mommy nearly throws up when she sees those).
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Next

Return to General