The Rules of a Gentleman

Talk about anything in here.

The Rules of a Gentleman

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:53 pm

I stumbled across this neat little website. Thought you guys might like it :D

http://www.therulesofagentleman.com/

There just isn't enough class out there.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby SailorDove » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 pm

Got a kick out of #30 & #13 and #2 is so true.
Naruto Fanfic: Kokoro of Konoha by Sailor Dove

What is the power of the weak and the weakness of power?

What would the butterfly effects be with an OC with no chakra or ninja inclinations but a coveted special sensing ability? But that's not her only closely guarded secret. Psst, don't tell the hyper blond boy she hates ramen.
SailorDove

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:12 pm

I was reading these and I thought "Okay these are pretty sound" until I got to this one.

"Your style is defined by what makes you feel most comfortable."

Which yep, I agree with that. Makes sense. But then it says,

"Please Note: Leave the fanny pack at home."

So which is it, Rules? Should we do what's comfortable or do what you say? "Have your own style as long as it's exactly what we like" is not a good rule.

Second:

"Opening the door for a lady is not optional, and will never go out of style."

Should be changed to "Opening the door for anybody" A guy who would open the door for a lady but let it slam shut in the face of another dude is no gentleman.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Dante » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:48 am

For the note on Rule #28 (Opening the door for a lady is not optional, and will never go out of style.), "This means any door", I am compelled to ask. What about automatic doors? Or fire-escapes? Doors leading to bottomless pits... oh wait, I suppose most people don't have an evil lair like me.

Overall though, I think the Australian motto is better. No rules. Just right. :P
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby armeck » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:55 am

Nate (post: 1440512) wrote:"Have your own style as long as it's exactly what we like" is not a good rule.

Second:

Should be changed to "Opening the door for anybody" A guy who would open the door for a lady but let it slam shut in the face of another dude is no gentleman.

true that!
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:26 am

Nate (post: 1440512) wrote:I was reading these and I thought "Okay these are pretty sound" until I got to this one.

"Your style is defined by what makes you feel most comfortable."

Which yep, I agree with that. Makes sense. But then it says,

"Please Note: Leave the fanny pack at home."

So which is it, Rules? Should we do what's comfortable or do what you say? "Have your own style as long as it's exactly what we like" is not a good rule.

Second:

I think they're also meant to be humorous.

I suppose it's assumed that you would hold the door open for anyone.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby goldenspines » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:29 pm

They are rather contradictory, sadly (in humor, I suppose, but it's not a "Haha! That's clever!" funny as much as a "haaaaaaha, okay..." funny). Most of them give good advice, I suppose.

If I followed some of the rules, does that make me a gentlemen? :D

I like this one:
rule No. 15 wrote: Never trust anyone with two first names.
goldenspines

Postby Lynna » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:30 pm

Rule number 15) wrote:Never trust anyone with two first names
Do middle names count?
And I think opening the door for people, ladies or otherwise, is super!
I also like the one about confidence and arrogance, and the one about kindness going a long way
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby musicaloddball » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:00 pm

I thought those were quite amusing. :)

Nate (post: 1440512) wrote:Second:

Common courtesy has always been expected from a gentleman (i.e. handing the door to whoever is behind him so it doesn't slam in whoever's face), but gentlemen have also been expected to have a special respect for women (i.e. opening doors for ladies, letting ladies go first, etc.)

I am NOT against men holding doors open for men. I'm just saying, a gentleman is expected to give special respect to women, and opening doors for women is a way of showing respect. If a man wants to show special respect for another man, fine, but that's not normally expected.

I could go into the "why" of it all and why I agree completely with the Rules of a Gentleman site, but that would be long and tedious for everyone. :hits_self That site is largely a reflection of traditional culture and that is the way our culture was for a very long time.
musicaloddball

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:01 am

goldenspines (post: 1440677) wrote:If I followed some of the rules, does that make me a gentlemen? :D

We need to start "Rules of a Lady" XD

I am NOT against men holding doors open for men. I'm just saying, a gentleman is expected to give special respect to women, and opening doors for women is a way of showing respect. If a man wants to show special respect for another man, fine, but that's not normally expected.

Not to mention, girls like chivalry. At least I do :D
Shao Feng-Li

Return to General