Third Culture Kids (Growing up in 2 or more cultures)

Talk about anything in here.

Third Culture Kids (Growing up in 2 or more cultures)

Postby Tigerchu » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:16 am

Hi, I’m Tigerchu. I was doing research on the internet and stumbled across the words “Third Culture Kidsâ€
Tigerchu

Postby Atria35 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:10 pm

You know, I have a friend who is like this. She's the daughter of missionaries, and she lived in England for a year or two when she was younger (loved it and still considers it her second home). And she also lived for a time in a SouthEast Asia country (but I can't remember what it is), and would love to go back there and visit sometime! She told me that the country with the biggest impact was England. But the only really lasting effect was a fondness for certain odd British foods, and an inability to settle down for long periods of time- she would love to travel anywhere and everywhere, but wants a home base for when she's not travelling.
Atria35

Postby Tigerchu » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:18 pm

I've been to a British school for a year when I was 16 (don't know if I've mentioned that), and that gave me a love for the British (even though it was in France).
Have faith
-From somewhere in the Bible, and I agree with it

-God will only give you what you can take. He will not overwhelm you.
-From somewhere in the Bible

-Your faith becomes stronger when it's tested.
-I saw a Chinese guy with a cross on his restaurant desk in America. That's so cool. You can do that here. Not so much China.

I've recently been learning that I don't need to be "loud and pushy" to Evangelize; just living it out is enough witness. The problem was that I grew up around strong Evangelists (Korean Christians) and they were really into getting people involved and setting out to Evangelize, and me being a a yes-man (or yes woman) I was into trying to convert people.
I've been learning this lesson over the years, but have been trying to be pushy. Now I'm trying to ease off.
Tigerchu

Postby Atria35 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:22 pm

I studied there the last fall semester, and I miss it so much! ;.; Britian was an amazing place. I can understand why people love it so much.
Atria35

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:08 am

I'm a one-culture kid. =(

Actually I'm a two-culture! But I also sometimes feel like a no-culture kid. XD

Depends on the day, I suppose.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Tigerchu » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:30 am

Aww:(
What cultures did you grow up in MrSmartypants?
Have faith

-I saw a Chinese guy with a cross on his restaurant desk in America. That's so cool. You can do that here. Not so much China.

I've recently been learning that I don't need to be "loud and pushy" to Evangelize; just living it out is enough witness. The problem was that I grew up around strong Evangelists (Korean Christians) and they were really into getting people involved and setting out to Evangelize, and me being a a yes-man (or yes woman) I was into trying to convert people.
I've been learning this lesson over the years, but have been trying to be pushy. Now I'm trying to ease off.
Tigerchu

Postby Warrior4Christ » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:39 am

I'm the exact opposite of a Third Culture Kid too - I've always lived in the same house.

It is an interesting phenomenon though... thanks for writing that.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Tigerchu (post: 1415387) wrote:Aww:(
What cultures did you grow up in MrSmartypants?

I'm a Korean born and raised in America. So I have exposure to both of the cultures (as well as Korean-American culture). But I'm at the point where I don't feel like letting myself be defined by culture. It's too arbitrary to me to let it be part of who I am.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Warrior4Christ » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:28 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1416229) wrote:I'm a Korean born and raised in America. So I have exposure to both of the cultures (as well as Korean-American culture). But I'm at the point where I feel like letting myself be defined by culture. It's too arbitrary to me to let it be part of who I am.

Those last two sentences seem contradictory...
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:39 am

Oh sorry. Haha. Let me edit that.
Mr. SmartyPants

TCK hangout

Postby Tigerchu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:40 pm

I found this site that seems to be an official groupie (as apposed to a scam) for Third Culture Kids. It's going through maintenance right now, but I thought I'd post it up here so it's available.

http://www.tckid.com/group/
Have faith

Tigerchu

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:54 pm

I happen to be of one culture.

Being a cracker twi lek is hard. You mostly end up having to take dead end jobs with Hutts.

Jokes aside I'm Caucasion, 1/4 Danish, 3/4 other Europeans + some Native American.

I envy people who grow up in a lot of different cultures. They have a more varied life experience.:thumb:
Yamamaya

Postby Tigerchu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:35 pm

Interesting:)
Have faith

Tigerchu

Postby Nekomimi » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:21 am

Interesting... didn't know there was a general term for this other than "military brat" (which I am). ;D
Nekomimi

Postby Tigerchu » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:01 am

Welcome to the thread, Nekomimi:)
Have faith

Tigerchu

Postby Sammy Boy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Tigerchu - thanks for the interesting post.

I've only lived in two cultures (Hong Kong and Australia). However my ancestry is of northern China (and this has affected my family background), and there is a pretty marked difference between northern Chinese culture and Hong Kong culture. I suppose technically I may qualify for the TCK category.

Do you mind me asking what your ethnicity is? Just curious.
Sammy Boy

Postby Tigerchu » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:20 am

Thank you Sammyboy:)
As for ethnicity, I'm not sure what it is (even after googling it), but I'll try to answer your question:)

I was born in America. I am an American citizen. I think that's ethnicity.
Have faith

Tigerchu

Postby Tigerchu » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:22 am

Oh, Sammyboy, you are a Third Culture Kid:) The definition for a TCK is to have grown up (spent your developing years) in 2 or more cultures.
Have faith

Tigerchu

Postby Nate » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:32 am

Ethnicity is your "race" for lack of a better term. Ethnicity is white, black, Asian, Native American, so on. "American" isn't an ethnicity because you can be white or black and still be an American (for that matter, this is why "African-American" is a silly term because it is entirely possible to be white and be an African-American).

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Furen » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Wow you have been all over, the closest I've come to even seeing a different country is when I went to Niagra Falls.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Tigerchu » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:39 pm

I guess it wouldn't hurt to post my ethnicity: I'm White.
Have faith

Tigerchu

Return to General