Colours

Talk about anything in here.

Colours

Postby Furen » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:55 pm

Is my white the same as your white and black your black and every other colour your colour? (I'm Canadian so I did spell colour right)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby ADXC » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:00 pm

It depends on where your from.

Here it's color, but I don't really care if you say colour.

I mean I prefer to say Theatre to theater.

Ok, so I don't know what you're asking exactly. XD
ADXC

Postby PrincessZelda » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:01 pm

I see purple as blue, and blue as green. That's your Blue and Green though, not mine.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby ADXC » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:03 pm

Oh colors as colors.

Well, I can't really compare my vision of colors to yours so I don't know how to answer that.
ADXC

Postby Esoteric » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:17 pm

Are we talking additive or subtractive color theory here? That will effect whether our whites and blacks are the same or not.
Esoteric

Postby Furen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:42 am

That will effect whether our whites and blacks are the same or not.

That's what I'm trying to get at, it's a question I have wondered for a while. Like I'll say "Hey I like that pink something or other" and someone will say back "That's not pink that's red"
or when I say green they say it's blue
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:02 am

Use the forums coding. Type "[ COLOR="Blue"]blue[/COLOR ]" (without the spaces) And see what color it appears to you in the preview post. I can attest that the forum's "[color="Blue"]Blue[/color]" is blue to me, so that's a known standard to operate on. For the color codes, click on the underlined "A" icon next to the U, then select one of the boxes. It'll stick a blob of coding text onto your messege box.

I'm probably being confusing... >.<

Well, the text of your messege is white to me. And the quote boxes are black.

...and now I'm wondering if they really are. >.<
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Furen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:07 am

That's not what I meant... [color="green"] although it was a nice gesture trying to help me [/color] but I would have posted this in the tutorial section if it were for that reason.

I meant when I see blue do other people see green
example: I see a [color="blue"]blue[/color] ball

does that mean everyone sees a blue ball or do they see a different colour?

Also not related to the thread or anything but I see you Guests trying to read the forums without posting anything, you should join you are always welcome. ;^ )
Furen

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:51 am

You're not making sense. Colour-blind people don't see all colours though.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Furen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:21 am

When I see blue I see what I think is the colour blue. But if you see blue you may see a total different colour but in your mind it is the colour "Blue", but because I can see "Blue" and you can see "Blue" we may not be seeing the same colour.

Does this make sense?
Furen

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:09 am

Are you trying to be philosophical? Because it's not working.
You're talking about perspectives and the way we perceive our reality via our different experiences.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby goldenspines » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:18 am

I am tempted to move this to Goof Off because it's a silly thread already. But, for now, the question you asked is an interesting one and as far as I know, it cannot be answered fully. But, for the most part, people seem to agree that grass is usually some colour of green (or yellow, if it is dying), the sky is blue and the sun is too bright to look at, but it's a nice white/yellow colour. (unless a person is color blind)

But, this line of thinking only has us agree on the name of a colour. For example, the purple color that I see it very pretty and relaxing. But the one you see may be sickening and gross to you.
And because some people like different colours more than others, maybe that's because they see them different than others do. Or, we just like certain colours better because our personalities and likes/dislikes are all different.

Therefore, there is no concrete answer to your question. Sorry.

Zelly and Esoteric gave the best answers so far, though.
goldenspines

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:19 am

It's not philosophical - it's about perceiving colours. How do you know what you see as being blue is the same as what someone else perceives (looking at the same thing)?
Imagine colour shifts, say green is now red, red is now blue, and blue is now green. How do you know someone isn't perceiving the colour shifted version compared to your "normal" perception? I've thought about this before....
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Esoteric » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:52 am

I understand the question now, although I doubt much can be gained from an online forum on the subject.

Color blind persons are the most extreme examples of physically different eye-color perception. But there are also subtle differences in eyes, just as there are in other senses (there was recently a discussion on taste buds). I can attest that my brother and I differ on certain shades of blue-green paint. Numerous times I'd call a color blue/gray and he'd insist it was a green/gray. But the difference was very subtle and the colors where this occurred tended to be very unsaturated. Supposedly, green is one of the colors the human eye naturally is less sensitive to, which might explain why this particular color was an issue when it came to defining slight shifts in shade.

There are also cultural implications to consider. I remember learning about certain people groups (tribes) who while their eyes can physically see the difference between blue and gray, for example, they do not acknowledge a difference. For them the same word is used. The use one word for warm colors, another for cool colors, etc. They only have 'four' colors. So you cannot rule out the possibility that someone calls your pink 'red' because as a child they were trained to consider it a 'red'.
Esoteric

Postby Nate » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:23 am

DUDE WHAT IF YOU WERE IN A CAVE YOUR WHOLE LIFE AND THERE WAS A FLAME BEHIND YOU AND IT LIT UP SHADOWS ON THE WALL AND SO THAT'S ALL YOU EVER SAW SO YOU THOUGHT THE SHADOWS WERE REALITY AND THEN YOU WERE FREED AFTER LIKE 30 YEARS AND SAW THE THINGS THAT WERE CASTING THE SHADOWS WOULD YOU RECOGNIZE THEM?

Plato's Cave, that's basically what you're asking. Although from the first few posts I thought this was a thread about colorblindness.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:30 am

I guess you can say, everyone has their own way of seeing things. Seeing blue as green or green as blue as you said up above :-? It may not be "right" for one person, but it may be for you. Kind of like an opinion (everyone has their own. Rather it be the same or not)? Or, how some people see things in black and white.. One way or the other, but no in between :-?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby minakichan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:31 am

It's not a matter of culture.

It's the question of whether, if I see a red ball and I point out that it's red, someone else can also see the red ball and call it red, but perhaps the color that they have grown up to recognize as red looks like what would be considered blue to my own perceptions. In other words, is it possible that the things we see would be completely different to another person, even if we can agree that the same color is called the same name?

It's a pretty common question that a lot of people ask. I think the most typical answer is that our brains and the nerves and structure of our eyes are similar, so that would suggest that red is, if not identical, at least close in perception to everyone. Furthermore, in some cases, certain colors can cause specific physical reactions or synesthetic impressions (although whether that's because of culture is debateable); for instance, a very strong yellow might feel sharp or painful to a lot of people, so that also suggests that hue and value are universal for people who have relatively similar vision abilities (i.e. are not blind or color-blind).
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:34 am

This is a very interesting thread, I think and it does pose an interesting thought. I think it also has to do with where the color is when you are looking at it...

For example: Image
The red box surrounded by the outter boxes are the same color, but they look slightly different compared to each one. The red stands out more against the black box, and seems to fade a bit in the white box, while against the blue it REALLY stands out because it's a contrasting color.

Also:

This is the same shade of purple inside the boxes, however when it is set in different swatches, it behaves differently.

Pretty neat, right?

Source: http://www.colormatters.com/colortheory.html
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Nate » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:19 pm

Wanna see something that'll blow your mind even more?

And it's completely true, I verified it in MS Paint. CRAZY.

EVEN THOUGH I VERIFIED IT MY MIND REFUSES TO BELIEVE IT WHEN I LOOK AT THE PICTURE. :l

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:11 pm

Or, maybe we can use objects as an example? No particular object. Just anything ^^ Maybe, a ball?

One person may use a ball to play with while another may use it as a wedge (to keep a door from slamming open and shut) :-?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:36 pm

We already have a good example of this.
Here, I grew up being taught to refer to the specific refraction of light we call red as red.
In Japan, they are taught to refer to the specific refraction of light we call red as akai.
So who is wrong?
No one.
The specific refraction of light we call red will not change. Some people have different sensory capabilities that cannot detect, or as in Nate's infuriating (I really hate stuff like that! XD) example, our minds make assumptions with the data they present to us as visuals.
But what ever numeric representation "red" has on the light spectrum is not relative to those veiwing it.
Perception is not reality, it's merely our best attempt to grasp it.
That's my perception, at least. XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Furen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:48 pm

I like seeing all the different ways people read in to my question. PZelda had the right idea in my initial point, but I like where the thread is going better.

I like that idea Tsukuyomi.

Nate that picture blew my mind (I verified it too)
Furen

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:59 pm

My mother calls orange that which is blatantly red. :/ But... I don't know if that's related to the question anymore... XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Furen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:22 pm

Everything colour is related now I guess
Furen

Postby Angel37 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:30 pm

I completely understand what you're asking (i think) because I've asked it before, not like we could ever really know, but I too wonder if we all see the same colour. We're all taught to recognize one shade as black, but does that shade register the same way in our brains? Could black really look purple in someone's head compared to someone else's? It's a fun question to ponder.
Angel37

Postby Furen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:38 pm

Yeah I've asked before in other places, but I wanted to see how everyone else thought of it
Furen

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:16 pm

Guys, my head's gonna explode... XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby armeck » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:10 pm

this makes no sense to me, BUT i like to spell colours that way even though i'm american XD
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Furen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:11 pm

well it branched into many different topics now
Furen

Postby Okami » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:25 pm

Nate (post: 1414943) wrote:Wanna see something that'll blow your mind even more?

And it's completely true, I verified it in MS Paint. CRAZY.

EVEN THOUGH I VERIFIED IT MY MIND REFUSES TO BELIEVE IT WHEN I LOOK AT THE PICTURE. :l

Probably my favorite psychological picture ever. :D
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Next

Return to General