Are you old fashioned!?

Talk about anything in here.

Are you old fashioned!?

Postby Mister » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:20 pm

ok! give me 5 reasons each on why someone would be considered old fashioned!

1. believes in courting(almost like dating, but totally different)
2. will wait several minutes just to hold the door for a lady or young girl.
3. waits until everyone else get their food first before getting theirs.
4. never addresses women by their first names.
5. wears suits where ever they go. (unless they are a pastor or businessman)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so6IQ4GYm2o&feature=related

I'll never be the same, after meeting you. I'll never Love the same after Loving you. i'll never breath the same after breathing in your Life. Lord you change me.
Mister

Postby Nate » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:27 pm

Mister wrote:1. believes in courting(almost like dating, but totally different)

And by "totally different" we mean "exactly the same except for the name."

Man that is so awkward, because then the girl has to walk faster to get to the door because you're standing there holding it, and they want you to feel like you did something for them because it's not like they're capable of opening the door by themselves or anything.

Opening the door for a person immediately behind you, regardless of gender, now that's totally rad.

I don't see how that's even possible, if I order like a salad and my friend orders a steak I'm not going to be like "No, take that salad back, I refuse to allow you to give it to me until you give me my friend's first."

Oh man, what if EVERYONE at the table thought that they shouldn't get their food until everyone else got theirs first? Then everyone would sit at the table and starve to death because no one would get food!

Man that's like creepy stalker level stuff. Can you imagine calling someone younger than you by their last name?

Naked is technically a suit. The birthday suit!

Wait I don't get this one. Why would a garbageman wear a suit everywhere but not a pastor or businessman? Plus it must be really awkward to wear a suit to the pool, or to the amusement park.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Seto_Sora » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:31 pm

OOOBER AWESOME COOOOOL!!!! Ok, are you "old fashioned" Invictus? Because I am old fashioned... even according to your standards there! hehehe! Except for the last name thing.... and, yes, I do wear a suit wherever I go and hold the door open for ladies all the time.
One is old fashioned if one (and in no particular order):
1. Can work Old English into one's day to day vocabulary (yes I do this one too and it works!!! ^_^)
2. Finds texting distasteful
3. Has a stringent code of honour
4. Finds modesty becoming and nobly attractive
5. Is probably homeschooled. LOL

As you may be able to tell, I find being called "old fashioned" a badge of honour!

and 6. Expects to have to read the Bible in Church and sit under a hard, convicting sermon for 1+ hours at least once a week. ^_^

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby armeck » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:33 pm

Nate (post: 1410953) wrote:And by "totally different" we mean "exactly the same except for the name."

Man that is so awkward, because then the girl has to walk faster to get to the door because you're standing there holding it, and they want you to feel like you did something for them because it's not like they're capable of opening the door by themselves or anything.

Opening the door for a person immediately behind you, regardless of gender, now that's totally rad.

I don't see how that's even possible, if I order like a salad and my friend orders a steak I'm not going to be like "No, take that salad back, I refuse to allow you to give it to me until you give me my friend's first."

Oh man, what if EVERYONE at the table thought that they shouldn't get their food until everyone else got theirs first? Then everyone would sit at the table and starve to death because no one would get food!

Man that's like creepy stalker level stuff. Can you imagine calling someone younger than you by their last name?

Naked is technically a suit. The birthday suit!

Wait I don't get this one. Why would a garbageman wear a suit everywhere but not a pastor or businessman? Plus it must be really awkward to wear a suit to the pool, or to the amusement park.

clearly nate, you are not old fashioned XD neither am i XD
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Nate » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:36 pm

PatrickEklektos wrote:1. Can work Old English into one's day to day vocabulary (yes I do this one too and it works!!! ^_^)

I bet you don't know any Old English. In fact I guarantee you don't. I would bet cold hard cash you don't know a single word of Old English.
armeck wrote:clearly nate, you are not old fashioned XD neither am i XD

"Old-fashioned" is just another word for "can't adapt to the real world." :3 I'm proud to not be old-fashioned. It means that I can accept things for how they are instead of some nonexistent gold standard.

Nate

Postby Seto_Sora » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Nate (post: 1410960) wrote:I bet you don't know any Old English. In fact I guarantee you don't. I would bet cold hard cash you don't know a single word of Old English.

LOL I would win the bet. ;) I read Old English alot, esp as an avid Arthurian Romance student. But what I meant by "Old English" was what is commonly referred to as thus, meaning the "thees" and "thous" more oft used in the 17th 18th and 19th centuries. So, Nate, I'm impressed you made the distinction. :)

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Nate » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:45 pm

Yes, of course. I'm very familiar with the fact that what most people call "Old" English is, in fact, Middle English. :p I'm glad to see you knew that too! Otherwise I would've had to school ya. :3

Nate

Postby goldenspines » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:52 pm

PatrickEklektos (post: 1410956) wrote:OOOBER AWESOME COOOOOL!!!! Ok, are you "old fashioned" Invictus? Because I am old fashioned... even according to your standards there! hehehe! Except for the last name thing.... and, yes, I do wear a suit wherever I go and hold the door open for ladies all the time.
One is old fashioned if one (and in no particular order):
1. Can work Old English into one's day to day vocabulary (yes I do this one too and it works!!! ^_^)
2. Finds texting distasteful
3. Has a stringent code of honour
4. Finds modesty becoming and nobly attractive
5. Is probably homeschooled. LOL

As you may be able to tell, I find being called "old fashioned" a badge of honour!

and 6. Expects to have to read the Bible in Church and sit under a hard, convicting sermon for 1+ hours at least once a week. ^_^

SDG

Oddly enough, though, homeschooling is becoming less old fashioned (here, at least) and not as teaching 17 kids at once all different ages and all dressed like they live in colonial days and never cut their hair or have contact with the outside world.

Mister wrote: 4. never addresses women by their first names.

Yeah, I'm totally not old fashioned. Or maybe I'm a stalker. I address guys by their first names too. D:
goldenspines

Postby Cloud500 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:16 pm

I don't really think that I'm old fashioned. I do tend to like old things, but that's really just limited to films, books, etc. and not old fashioned "ways of life." Only addressing girls by their last names would be creepy and I would probably be labeled a stalker if I waited for several minutes to hold the door open for a girl (or anyone for that matter). I still don't see how dating and courting are two different things either. The only time I wait to eat until everyone else has food would be at dinner with my family.

However, if I owned more suits(more than one) I might actually wear more suits.
Cloud500

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Mister (post: 1410951) wrote:ok! give me 5 reasons each on why someone would be considered old fashioned!

I will not give five reasons but I will say what I think about these things. XD

1: I think not touching somebody until you marry them is ridiculous. XD There's nothing wrong with holding hands, hugging someone, kissing someone, or even cuddling on the couch and watching a movie before you're married. These things are important to a marriage, and you're probably gonna want to make sure you're attracted enough to the person you're with TO marry them. The place where I draw the line is having sex prior to marriage, mostly because of my morals, but also because if things don't work out with that person, then you're pretty much probably going to hate your life for a while. XD

2: Holding the door is always a polite gesture. Waiting several minutes (I read "several" as more than four minutes) for a girl to catch up with you is a more than bit much, and if you do that, the girl will think you're a creeper. XD Also, the people paying for the air conditioning in the building will put you on their black list indefinitely. XD

3: Waiting for everyone to get food on their plates before you start eating is a generally polite thing to do.

4: What is this, the 1800s? No, please, call me by my first name or I will probably think you are weird. XD

5: This doesn't mean you're polite. This means you're Barney Stinson. Suit up. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby chibiphonebooth » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:40 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1410984) wrote:I will not give five reasons but I will say what I think about these things. XD

1: I think not touching somebody until you marry them is ridiculous. XD There's nothing wrong with holding hands, hugging someone, kissing someone, or even cuddling on the couch and watching a movie before you're married. These things are important to a marriage, and you're probably gonna want to make sure you're attracted enough to the person you're with TO marry them. The place where I draw the line is having sex prior to marriage, mostly because of my morals, but also because if things don't work out with that person, then you're pretty much probably going to hate your life for a while. XD

2: Holding the door is always a polite gesture. Waiting several minutes (I read "several" as more than four minutes) for a girl to catch up with you is a more than bit much, and if you do that, the girl will think you're a creeper. XD Also, the people paying for the air conditioning in the building will put you on their black list indefinitely. XD

3: Waiting for everyone to get food on their plates before you start eating is a generally polite thing to do.

4: What is this, the 1800s? No, please, call me by my first name or I will probably think you are weird. XD

5: This doesn't mean you're polite. This means you're Barney Stinson. Suit up. XDD

THIS THIS THIS.

physical affection is very important to a relationship!

also, if everyone was calling me by my last name all the time, i'd be like I'M NOT OLD STOP THAT and/or this is not japan. :I
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Kaori » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:48 pm

Nate (post: 1410965) wrote:Yes, of course. I'm very familiar with the fact that what most people call "Old" English is, in fact, Middle English. :p I'm glad to see you knew that too! Otherwise I would've had to school ya. :3

Now, class, here is an example of Old English, also known as Anglo-Saxon:

anonymous poet who composed Beowulf wrote: Hwæt! We Gardena in geardagum,
þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,

monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas. Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden, he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra

ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan. þæt wæs god cyning!

And this is an example of Middle English:

Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales wrote:Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour]

As we can see from these examples, when people say "Old English," they usually do not mean Old English (Anglo-Saxon) or Middle English. They might mean something from the time of the English Renaissance, say, sixteenth century, like this:

William Tyndale's translation of the New Testament wrote:But when ye praye, bable not moche, as the gentyls do: for they thincke that they shalbe herde, ffor there moche bablynges sake. Be ye not lyke them therefore. For youre father knoweth whereof ye have neade, before ye axe off him. After thys maner therefore praye ye.
O oure father, which arte in heven, halowed be thy name. Let thy kingdom come. Thy wyll be fulfilled, as well in erth, as hit ys in heven. Geve us this daye oure dayly breade. And forgeve us oure treaspases, even as we forgeve them which treaspas us. Leede us not into temptacion. but delyvre us ffrom yvell, Amen.

. . .but more likely they mean Shakespearean English . . .

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 120 wrote:That you were once unkind befriends me now,
And for that sorrow which I then did feel
Needs must I under my transgression bow

. . . or even seventeenth century English, like what we see in the 1611 KJV Bible, which was mostly plagiarized from William Tyndale (compare to the Tyndale translation above).

1611 King James Bible wrote:After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Or sometimes it just means that they like to inject the words "thee" and "thou" into conversation in an attempt to sound more formal or more flowery or something, never mind that in Shakespearean/Elizabethan England, "you" was a formal term used to address multiple people or one person you weren't particularly close to (c.f. Sonnet 120 above), and "thee"/"thou" were familiar terms used to address someone who was either very close to you or your social inferior.

[/pedant mode] That was probably way more information than anyone wanted to read.

Mister wrote:ok! give me 5 reasons each on why someone would be considered old fashioned!

Three of these seem to be addressed exclusively to men. Did you want women to answer, too? Just curious.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:55 pm

Kaori, thank you for posting that. You win +10 awesome points. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mister » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:41 pm

.... *laughs real hard*........ *dies laughing then resurrects*....

yes women can answer.

and i think i've drastically misunderstood.
those aren't my guidelines for being old fashioned just what i think MAY be some guidelines (maybe)....

but thanks for some very insightful stuff. though i am a little old fashioned i do not agree that it means i can't adapt to this modern time/age/lifestyle. i'm more savy with a pc than a lot of peeps i know, though less than some. being old fashioned is actually (in my perspective) a better way of life, than the ignorant, selfish, and disrespectful era we live in. i'm 22 and when i was a kid if i spoke to anyone like ids these days do, you'd better build my casket and send out the invitations.....

I'll never be the same, after meeting you. I'll never Love the same after Loving you. i'll never breath the same after breathing in your Life. Lord you change me.
Mister

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:50 pm

Um...
I wear pants.

...At this point it's impossible for me to even act like I'm old fashioned.
Ante Bellum

Postby Kaligraphic » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:47 am

1: only places phone calls after 7 PM, "when the rates go down".
2: thinks the Internet is used for fishing.
3: is racist against everyone, but saves their lowest abuse for the Irish.
4: is astonished that you travel by "horseless carriage" - because theirs still needs a horse.
5: thinks that the Quaker Oats man represents the height of fashion.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:36 am

I consider myself slightly old-fashioned, or at least a bit of a Luddite in some ways. Technology-wise, my favorite games are about as old as I am, and social networking-centered sites don't interest me (forums and wikis are separate classes of sites in my mind); on the other hand, I'm on the Internet in the first place, and I keep up with new technology (but not cell phones). I complain about how kids don't appreciate good music/games/books anymore because none of the good stuff is being made anymore, and prefer a bit of class and flair in my dress, just because.

As for dating/courting and boundaries therein, I have no experience, so you're on your own there, kid. (See? There I go again; talking to people that are older than me as if they were younger. It's a great mindset to have, acting like a curmudgeon, isn't it?)
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:52 am

1. I don't have a dish-washer
2. I read books, you know, made of paper, not these Kindle things
3. I don't talk on the mobile/cell phone while talking to someone else
4. I cook regularly rather than go out or buying take-away
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Cloud500 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:45 am

I guess I could be considered old fashioned in the sense that I don't read electronic books.
Cloud500

Postby Warrior4Christ » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:03 am

1. Buy music on old-fashioned Compact Disks rather than digital download.
2. Insisting on using good old-fashioned proper spelling and grammar on the internet?
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby acgifford » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:42 am

I am old fashioned...
1.I believe in courting.
2. I believe that a man should not touch a woman until they are at least ingaged. A hug is fine...anything else is inappropriate.
3. I also believe that a man should never call a woman an endearing name unless he and she are serious.
4. me and my family wait for everyone to get their food and then start eating together.
acgifford

Postby armeck » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:52 am

Nate (post: 1410960) wrote:
"Old-fashioned" is just another word for "can't adapt to the real world." :3 I'm proud to not be old-fashioned. It means that I can accept things for how they are instead of some nonexistent gold standard.

well said! XD
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:59 am

Old fashioned? Maybe...

1. I only Just got a cell phone. 2 days ago. I think it's rude to have loud conversations on it outside of my home and while driving (not to mention dangerous to talk on the phone while driving), and don't text too much- though I may start texting more as my minutes run out.
2. I believe in proper spelling and grammar on the internet (for the most part). And TyPInG liKe ThIS DriVEs mE Up a wALl!
3. I cook rather than do carry-out (though this has more to do with the economy of cooking vs. carry-out). But I also ENJOY cooking- I regularly try out new recipies and make candies and sweets.
4. I want to dress up in old-fashioned clothing. From any era. I love clothes from Victorian era- back. Those clothes are Awesome! Of course, I'd like them without the rib-breaking and organ-damaging corsets.
5. I like books. Not eBooks, real, paper-and-ink books. They're fantastic, and when I have my own house, I want a room to be a library for me!
Atria35

Postby knightlee » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:03 am

I try to keep a balance of being open-minded, while not forgetting tradition or common sense. If a person is constantly trying to adapt themselves to the ever-changing standards of the world, it becomes pretty hard to find peace. Then again, if a person holds on too tight to the past, they will not grow.
</guru moment> /i\
A writer is someone who can make a riddle out of an answer. ~Karl Kraus
Find me @ MAL.net (olivecrayola)
knightlee

Postby acgifford » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:09 am

Atria35 (post: 1411045) wrote:Old fashioned? Maybe...

1. I only Just got a cell phone. 2 days ago. I think it's rude to have loud conversations on it outside of my home and while driving (not to mention dangerous to talk on the phone while driving), and don't text too much- though I may start texting more as my minutes run out.
5. I like books. Not eBooks, real, paper-and-ink books. They're fantastic, and when I have my own house, I want a room to be a library for me!

Yeah I got my first cell phone a week ago.
and I'm with you on the real books thing.XD Better to lay down in your room with a good book then sit at at a computer and read it. lameness.
[color="Lime"]"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda[/color]
[color="DarkOrange"]Psalm32: 1 Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.[/color]
Proud member of MOES!! You better believe I have no scrolling.^_~
[color="Blue"]Doctor Who fan!! [/color]:jump:
[color="Yellow"]"Dare to read, think, speak and write." John Adams[/color]
[color="Pink"]Proud Member of the SisterHoos! ^^[/color]
[color="Red"]Vash the Stampede: I meditate diligently every morning. The subject is Life and Love. I quit after three seconds.[/color]
acgifford

Postby Nate » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:27 am

Mister wrote:ignorant, selfish, and disrespectful era we live in.

Like I said. It means I can accept the real world instead of some nonexistent gold standard. :p

I like how you infer that prior to this decade, or century, or whatever, that everyone was educated, charitable, and respectful, when in fact this isn't the case. People are now less ignorant than ever before, thanks to public education being available to all instead of to just rich white folks. Respectful? My grandfather pretty much told his entire family to suck it and quit school at 13 to become a construction worker (which would be illegal these days of course, but it wasn't back then). Let's also not forget the "respectfulness" of all those people plotting to overthrow their parents so they could become king or emperor themselves! The world is no less respectful than it was.

And selfish? Humans have ALWAYS been selfish! Just look in Acts at that one couple who sold their house and then were like "Let's keep some of the money for ourselves but totally not tell anyone." In fact, I'd say humans are LESS selfish these days than they have ever been, thanks in fact to the internet. People can give money easier and more freely than ever before, and when things like Child's Play (a charity created by the people who run Penny Arcade) has gone from raising 360,000 dollars the first year they existed, to raising 1.78 million this past year, people have definitely not gotten more selfish (or else they would have raised less money).

I COULD make a political statement, but then this thread would be destroyed, it's tattered remains locked away and a warning levied upon my head. Plus, expressing my beliefs on a Christian board never works out well!

Also Corrie and Savannah are totally right. That is why they are awesome.
I'd like them without the rib-breaking and organ-damaging corsets.

But Atria, cracked ribs and damaged organs are totally old-fashioned and therefore better than clothes that fit comfortably. :p

Nate

Postby blkmage » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:26 am

Kaori (post: 1410990) wrote:Now, class, here is an example of Old English, also known as Anglo-Saxon:

And this is an example of Middle English:

As we can see from these examples, when people say "Old English," they usually do not mean Old English (Anglo-Saxon) or Middle English. They might mean something from the time of the English Renaissance, say, sixteenth century, like this:

. . .but more likely they mean Shakespearean English . . .

. . . or even seventeenth century English, like what we see in the 1611 KJV Bible, which was mostly plagiarized from William Tyndale (compare to the Tyndale translation above).

Or sometimes it just means that they like to inject the words "thee" and "thou" into conversation in an attempt to sound more formal or more flowery or something, never mind that in Shakespearean/Elizabethan England, "you" was a formal term used to address multiple people or one person you weren't particularly close to (c.f. Sonnet 120 above), and "thee"/"thou" were familiar terms used to address someone who was either very close to you or your social inferior.

[/pedant mode] That was probably way more information than anyone wanted to read.

Three of these seem to be addressed exclusively to men. Did you want women to answer, too? Just curious.

blkmage

Postby Mister » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:27 am

Nate..... you're awesome too.

you make a lot of good points, and i appreciate that. albeit limiting ones view of "old fashioned" to what most would consider (worst case scenarios) isn't the best way to look at it. not every prince tried to overthrow his father, not every son shamed his family to go off and do as he pleased. to the best of our generation's knowledge, by what we can learn from family and legacies, 100 years ago there were rebellious people, i won't deny, there were those who were disrespectful to others, again i won't deny. but the over all ideology of those times was respect, and ethical behavior in public.

Ok, we've/I've made this far to serious, this is a GOOF OFF section! lets just get back to what's funny and totally random, shall we? and i'll try my best not make it more serious than two snails arguing over who's faster, alright?

Mister

Postby blkmage » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:19 am

Mister (post: 1411000) wrote:the ignorant, selfish, and disrespectful era we live in.

Mister (post: 1411066) wrote:but the over all ideology of those times was respect, and ethical behavior in public.

[citation needed]
blkmage

Postby Mister » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:25 am

lol, yes yes. very much so.

Mister

Next

Return to General