Pizza Poll

Talk about anything in here.

Pizza Poll

Postby Nate » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:37 pm

Well, it's come down to this. Obviously I can't list every possibility, but I'll try to do what I can, hit most of the big ones at least.

Recently, a Papa John's opened up where I live. We haven't had one here before, but I have had their pizza, and I remember it being exceptionally, wonderfully, fantastically average. But, I thought that perhaps my memory was being clouded, and I was mistaken. After all, everyone seems to sing their praises constantly, so I gave them another shot, getting a couple of pizzas from them.

And...turns out I was completely right. Papa John's isn't bad. They are not terrible, and not that bad. But "not that bad" isn't "the best." I don't understand why everyone says they're so great, when immediately Domino's comes to mind as the best pizza around. They've changed quite a bit too, from the days of that Simpsons sketch where Chief Wiggum disguised their cop car as a pizza car to avoid criminals, only to be asked "But Chief, what if they LIKE pizza?" and responding by putting a Domino's sticker on the door.

To be fair, I haven't had Pizza Hut in a while, though I think they're pretty much okay, but like Papa John's, not the best. However, my experience is limited by the fact that there's pretty much those big three, a couple of local places (which are WAY better than Papa John's or Pizza Hut), and that's about it. I know there's other places out there, so I ask you. For your money, what's the best pizza?

And please explain to me why people like Papa John's so much despite the fact that it's just blandly average pizza. I will admit the garlic dipping sauce is good, but I'm talking SOLELY about the pizza, and obviously the garlic sauce is disqualified because it is not pizza. Besides, other places have started carrying garlic dipping sauce too...and MORE than just garlic dipping sauce, they have like five or six other types of dipping sauce.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:45 pm

Gotta go Hungry Howie's. So great; so cheap.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:49 pm

BJ's, a semi national chain around has some of the best pizza I've ever tasted, and they do deep dish, which I see from almost no other pizza places around here.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:56 pm

If we had California Pizza Kitchen in Oklahoma, I would go there all the time, but we don't so I guess I won't vote for it. Instead I will vote for the local option. We have some pretty excellent local pizza joints here, Pizza Shuttle and Hideaway Pizza being my two personal favorites.

As for the national chains, if I were forced to choose one I guess it'd be Papa John's or maybe Domino's, but the local guys blow them both out of the water. The only pizza I really like from Papa John's is the veggie one. I like my pizza kind of well done, you know, with the cheese nice and browned, but they never get it right even if I specifically request it. At least Domino's can get that part right. XD

I hate Pizza Hut. They never cook their crust all the way through and it's doughy and gross. With Little Caesar's, well, you get what you pay for-- I'd rather go to Walmart and buy a DiGiorno than go to Little Caesar's. Cici's is also pretty gross but at least it's cheap, I guess.

ETA: Oh, I remembered another chain that I kind of like: Papa Murphy's. It's take-and-bake only, so you have to go pick it up and then bake it yourself, but it's pretty good stuff for the price. Their stuffed pizzas are good (basically pizza with a crust on the top AND bottom, kind of like pie).

If we're talking about the same BJ's, I've been there a couple times but I've never had their pizza. Maybe I should try it sometime.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:03 pm

Hmm I guess in retrospect, I shouldn't have included "local" on there because local is usually going to be better than other places. I voted "Domino's" despite the fact that the local places here are definitely the best. I guess I was going for more of a "As far as chains/fast food type pizza goes, which is the best?" Ehh. Too late to change it now I suppose.

Little Caesars isn't that good, but on the other hand, it's nice to walk in and get a large pizza for 6 bucks immediately instead of "That'll be 13 bucks, wait about 15-20 minutes."

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:04 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1408683) wrote:If we had California Pizza Kitchen in Oklahoma, I would go there all the time, but we don't so I guess I won't vote for it. Instead I will vote for the local option. We have some pretty excellent local pizza joints here, Pizza Shuttle and Hideaway Pizza being my two personal favorites.

If we're talking about the same BJ's, I've been there a couple times but I've never had their pizza. Maybe I should try it sometime.

I've found CPK to be horrifically expensive for what they provide, but that could all depend on taste. Try out a pizza at BJ's if you get a chance, they do it differently than a lot of other places with lots of tomatoes and stuff, but it's really good, especially the sweet pig and the BBQ chicken.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:12 pm

For me, it has always been Local/non-chain pizza place that I like the best. Their are three places that I like that are Local and that is partners pizza, OZ and Angelos Mediterranean pizza (this one is in the town, where I go to college).

There is another local place in my college town that has been rated the best of the best pizza in that town that I want to try and see if it is that good.

Where I had Papa John's and so far it is better out of them. I think it has to do with the area that you live in. I have tasted Papa John's pizza at other places and it doesn't taste good but the one in my town is very good taste.

Domino's Pizza place in my town and any other Domino's place taste like your eating cardboard. But now that Domino's has change their style to pizza, I do want to try it and see if it is better.

Pizza Hut has been the worst pizza that I every had and their pan pizza is a joke and if anyone thinks it's close to Chicago deep dish pizza, then they never been to Chicago and had deep dish pizza.

For Little Caesars and Cici's Pizza, I woldn't rate them at all. We use to have a Little Caesar pizza place years ago and it closed up. I tried them about a year ago and like Cici's Pizza. It's just a cheap made pizza that taste like cardboard. Those two place are only good, if you want pizza and want a very cheap price for it, but your not going to get much for taste for the cheap price.

Since those are not listed, I'm going to talk about them. If I go and eat Pizza and it's a chain place. Then I will go to Johnny's New York Style Pizza and Jet's Pizza as they are far better then the big three as in Pizza Hut, Papa John's and Domino's Pizza. But I mostly hit local pizza places, when I can.

Now for Chicago deep dish pizza: To me, Uno Chicago Grill is very overrated as Chicago Deep Dish pizza and I feel the only reason why they are so big, is because they are the ones to start the Chicago Deep Dish pizza.

I never was a big fan of Chicago deep dish pizza after I tried Uno Chicago Grill one time. What change my mind was having Rebecca take me to Lou Malnati's and they have far the best Chicago deep dish in all of Chicago and most people in Chicago will tell you that is the place to go for Chicago deep dish pizza.

Another Chicago place called Gino's East that has deep dish pizza, but I don't care for as well, but they have another style of pizza that I like, which is called St. Louis-style pizza.

So, if your in Chicago: go to Lou Malnati's for deep dish pizza and if you want St. Louis-style pizza, then you go to Gino's East.

Also, I like to make my own pizza and I have made far better pizzas then most chain pizza places.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Cloud500 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:12 pm

Papa John's and Dominoes are the only pizza places right near me so those are the places I usually go to. Sometimes I get good pizzas from those tow places and other times I don't; that's just how it is here. There is a Target in the next town over that serves Pizza Hut pizza and I'll occasionally eat there. I don't like my pizza to be really crispy so that's probably why I enjoy eating at Pizza Hut the most.

My family doesn't eat out that much so I haven't been to a lot of the local places and my mom is a health inspector so we're all constantly told which restaurants to avoid.
Cloud500

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:14 pm

I never really had Pap John's really :-? We have one in the next town over, but we usually get Pizza Hut ^^ I remember having Domino's a loooooooong time ago, but that was.. Well, a long time ago xD;
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby blkmage » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:19 pm

I can't say I've had any amazing pizza in Toronto. That may be a consequence of my never exploring downtown, but in the suburbs, all the pizza is incredibly average/mediocre.
blkmage

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:26 pm

There's one that comes to mind. It's this one place called Rocky Rococo's, or something like that, and it used to be a chain until it was mostly bought out. Any survivors, and there's at least one, are privately owned. (I don't think it's considered local or non-chain, because it used to be a small chain. Curse you, large fast food chains!)
I think their pizza is great. I mean, maybe it's just personal opinion, but it's not just a cheap pizza from a giant chain. It's square, which makes actually slicing it and getting a good piece a little harder, but it's still really good. Let's see...I remember them having a special where you can get a good-sized bag of M&Ms for about $1, with the pizza, although the only two times I've been there they had it. So, I'm not sure how much of a special it really is.

And...for anything else, I'm just okay with something decent. I mostly dislike thin crust, that's one thing that will make me reject a pizza. Oh, and it has to be real. As they say, if it's greasy, they used real food. (And I don't dab off the grease, either.)
Ante Bellum

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:27 pm

It's been a while since I've had any of the major pizza chains, though I had Papa John's most recently. I know that Domino's has changed their recipe, so I'm curious as to how it is now. Pizza Hut, I don't really care for, but I'll eat it either way. XD I think the thing about Papa John's is that the first time I had it years ago, it was pretty disgusting, but when I had it more recently, it was actually pretty good. So maybe it's just that it's gotten better, not that it's the best ever. XD

At any rate, when it comes to pizza, my favorites aren't from any of the main chains. XD I love Carrabba's pizza, and there's a pizza place near my town called Brixx that makes amazing brick oven pizzas. XD Ultimate California Pizza is also pretty great, though I've only eaten there once!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:31 pm

I think Domino's has gotten a bit better after the change. Not terrific, but it hasn't gone the way of "New Coke," so that must say something.
Ante Bellum

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:34 pm

Local places will always be better than anything else.

That aside, I think that Papa John's is really the only decent fast food style pizza place. Pizza Hut tends to be way too greasy, Little Caesars and Dominoes (I have not tried the new recipe) taste like cardboard, and CPK isn't as good as it should be for the price.

BJ's the best pizza chain around here.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Midori » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:42 pm

Homemade is best.

Second best is this place near me called Pizzeria Venti.

Third best is anything that's not too greasy or cheesy, and has fresh-tasting toppings.
Midori

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Domino's definitely.

Everything else around here is just plain terrible.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:04 pm

There's a small chain called Aurelio's Pizza in and around my city that is above and beyond any other pizza I've had :) I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!! They make pizza like it's supposed to be made!

And I also love Chicago Deep-dish pizza. I mean, that's local for me, and it's terrific- I have to learn to make it!
Atria35

Postby Whitefang » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:00 pm

Domino's reputation has led me to not have it in a long while. I understand they're better now, so perhaps I will give it a try soon.

Anyway, Pizza Hut has been my old standby for some time, but the quality has seemed to go down recently. Little Caesars' hot'n'ready pizzas are only edible if you are really hungry (which is, to be fair, the point of the pizzas.) Papa John's is meh in my opinion. I'm surprised not to see Hungry Howie's on the list, but perhaps that is a Midwestern chain.

CPK is an amazing restaurant, but it is in between a local pizzeria and the fast food chain pizzas, so in the spirit of finding the best, "inexpensive, non-fancy pizza"*, I did not vote for it. Uno's is good as well, but I remember them being more like CPK than the other guys, so I eliminated it as well.

*My own criteria.

I will be interested to see the results, and I am surprised that many share my own opinion (Local Chains first, then Pizza Hut when ignoring the local chains).

So I voted for Pizza Hut, but I admit that it's mostly based on reputation and that this has inspired me to give the others a fresh look.
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:03 am

Sobeys. :)
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby TGJesusfreak » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:16 am

Costco pizza is pretty awesome :P
Huge pizzas for a great price.... and they taste good! XD
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:47 am

There is a local chain called Imos in our area that is pretty good. As is Cecil Whitaker's. There is a small chain of mom and pop italian restaurants that serve up some incredible Pizza called Stefanina's. I suggest that one as well.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby ClosetOtaku » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:48 am

It must be a franchise thing -- I used to order from Domino's, but after a couple very late pizzas and messed up orders, I started ordering from Papa John's, and never looked back.

However, in the DC area, either Z-Pizza or Ledo's are by far the best. But they don't deliver to the house, so we only get them if we're in that part of town.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:41 am

We have three pizza places here (surprisingly). Tano's Pizza.. Which, used to be Little Caesar's. Pap's Pizza (which cuts its pieces into titles, so you gets alot for your buck), and Pizza Oven.

Out of those three, I like Tano's better 8D~~ Then, comes Pap's Pizza and then Pizza Oven ^O^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:35 pm

I just remembered. Anyone else tried Subway's personal pan pizzas? We have them here and they're pretty amazing for "fast pizza" or just a personal meal while on the go. I highly recommend trying them.

Also, everyone else's Pizza Huts must not suck because the ones here are absolutely terrible. Imagine paper thin crust and half a ketchup packet of sauce and that's the typical pizza from Pizza Hut here. You have to request and pay for extra sauce if you want a decent pizza.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:53 pm

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1408884) wrote:Also, everyone else's Pizza Huts must not suck because the ones here are absolutely terrible. Imagine paper thin crust and half a ketchup packet of sauce and that's the typical pizza from Pizza Hut here. You have to request and pay for extra sauce if you want a decent pizza.

Sounds like typical Pizza Hut to me. I don't know what kinda crazy awesome Pizza Huts they have in the other parts of the country. Everyone's always like "OH MAN THE DEEP DISH IS AWESOME" but as I said before, they don't cook it long enough so it's all goopy. And yeah, they put like two drops of sauce. Actually I think that might be the reason I hate deep dish crust...
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:55 pm

Yeah, my Pizza Hut is actually pretty decent. Good if there is nothing else and you don't feel like calling for food. lol
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:58 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:Sounds like typical Pizza Hut to me. I don't know what kinda crazy awesome Pizza Huts they have in the other parts of the country. Everyone's always like "OH MAN THE DEEP DISH IS AWESOME" but as I said before, they don't cook it long enough so it's all goopy. And yeah, they put like two drops of sauce. Actually I think that might be the reason I hate deep dish crust...

Same here as the typical Pizza Hut pizza is. I really wish people that go to Pizza Hut would stop calling it deep dish as Pizza Hut calls it pan pizza. Like I said before, if anyone thinks that Pizza Hut pan pizza is an awesome deep dish pizza. Then they need to flight, drive or run to Chicago and have real deep dish pizza, because they sure haven't had a real deep dish pizza at Pizza Hut.

[font="Book Antiqua"]
[color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:16 pm

Gotta say local for the win a pizza place around her called Brothers was the best. Second best probably Dominos new pizza
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Rusty Claymore » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:41 pm

I just eat pizza. Check for mold, foreign material, and that no one else has touched it. Eat.
But I'd be willing to test them all and let you know if someone will sponser me.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby minakichan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:58 pm

I actually quite like Papa Johns. My like for a pizza is often directly correlated to the richness and thickness of cheese, and I like Papa Johns' cheese. If only there wasn't the pasta sauce and bread in the way! I'd shovel that cheese in my mouth all day~

Also, I'm Asian, so I have to love Papa Johns because of their $10 anything pizzas. Spinach alfredo with extra Tuscan cheeses and grilled chicken~

Love Domino's newish garlicy crust though! SO GOOD.
ImageImage
minakichan

Next

Return to General