Lady GaGa and her Illegal Anime Eyes

Talk about anything in here.

Lady GaGa and her Illegal Anime Eyes

Postby thisiskris89 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:09 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/worries-over-circle-contacts-trend-20734327#video=20734327

I was on yahoo and happened across this news clip.
Apparently that wacko Lady GaGa had on these wacky contacts that make one's eyes look bigger to give an anime look.However they are not FDA approved and gals are gettin them illegally.

I dunno bout you but if God wanted me to have Big ol' eyes i would have been born with em'...
i float like a cloud and sting like a paper cut!:thumb:
thisiskris89

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:14 pm

That video... I love the Asian American lady saying "that exaggerated cartoon look from Asia." I don't know why. It makes me laugh. I'm weird.

So, but seriously. Do we KNOW this is connected to Anime or is it just, you know... What happened?
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby airichan623 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:19 pm

But I want anime eyes..... XD

jk. i think the FDA needs to go investigate them and either approve them or reveal that they are made unsafely. If they become legal, then cosplayers will go NUTS for them. (they probably will anyway but even more so if their legal) And, when legal, more reputable sites will verify perscriptions, etc.

Even so....I really wanna try some on....just once....

EtohtheGreato wrote:So, but seriously. Do we KNOW this is connected to Anime or is it just, you know... What happened?

My guess probably not, but it IS insanely probable... come on, why would someone in real life go, "big eyes are fashionable" without some kind of reference. i'm also wondering why they used an unknown 90s anime instead of a good modern one that has clear graphics.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:21 pm

Cosplayers already go nuts over them. They've been in vogue for characters with unusual eyes (ex several naruto characters) for years. Heck, they go back to when I started cosplaying back in 2003.

A buddy of mine in High School used ones with 'hellfire' designs in them in order to further give the illusion to bullies in school that he was a creepy dude you did not want to screw with. That and some creative rumor planting by some friends and his middleschool bullies left him alone.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Nate » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

thisiskris89 wrote:I dunno bout you but if God wanted me to have Big ol' eyes i would have been born with em'...

Don't agree with this logic, same as "If God wanted me to have muscles I would've been born with 'em." You don't get born with muscles, you have to work out and develop 'em. XD

Back on topic, I saw that on Yahoo too. The thing I saw didn't mention anime, though, just that the contacts used in the video were harmful to vision.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby MightiMidget » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:24 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1407147) wrote:That video... I love the Asian American lady saying "that exaggerated cartoon look from Asia." I don't know why. It makes me laugh. I'm weird.
That made me chuckle too. Lol.

I hate things near my eyes *shudder* i'm grateful that I don't need glasses, but contact lenses...eek. I can't even put eye drops in my eyes with my eyes open.

Nate wrote:Back on topic, I saw that on Yahoo too. The thing I saw didn't mention anime, though, just that the contacts used in the video were harmful to vision.
The video posted here, not sure if it was the same one, does specifically say "inspired by anime" which is weird. American cartoons have big eyes too, they're just a different eye-style.
MightiMidget

Postby airichan623 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:25 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1407152) wrote:Cosplayers already go nuts over them. They've been in vogue for characters with unusual eyes (ex several naruto characters) for years. Heck, they go back to when I started cosplaying back in 2003.

um.... but their is a difference between ones that make ur eyes look bigger and ones that have sharingan, geass, etc.

And even non-cosplayers can legally wear purple contacts... which are wicked awesome XD

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:45 pm

What is the effective difference? As near as I can tell, both are simply colored contacts. One has a sharingan pattern and the other has a colored portion to give the illusion of larger pupils.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:59 pm

I've seen these a few times, and the results seem to vary from subtle-but-nice to creepy. Honestly, though, I don't see the appeal. I also tend to like less makeup on girls, so maybe it's just that I like to see girls without the artificial touch-ups.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:29 pm

I guess the two reasons for wanting big eyes merged as one somehow :-? First, it was just a want to have huge eyes and then it became an anime thing, when someone who liked anime started using them to achieve the big eyed look ^^

I would love to try them, but my eyes are sensitive, so.. None of that for me XD This saying, even if they were FDA approved or not.
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Colored contacts, o-kay:eyebrow:, what ever floats you're boat.

However, getting you're eyes enlarged is weird, but what do you expect from a celebrity.they've been always done weird stuff.

and now, a relevant song

Brad Paisley
Song: Celebrity

Someday, I'm gonna be famous,
Do I have talent? Well, no.
These days you don't really need it,
Thanks to reality shows.

Can't wait to date a supermodel,
Can't wait to sue my Dad.
Can't wait to wreck a Ferrari,
On my way to rehab.

'Cause when you're a celebrity, it's adios reality.
You can act just like a fool;
People think you're cool just 'cause you're on TV.
I can throw a major fit,
When my latte isn't just how I like it.
When they say I've gone insane,
I'll blame it on the pain,
And the pressures that go with bein' a celebrity.
Ah ha.

I'll get to cy to Barbara Walters,
When things don't go my way.
An' I'll get community service,
No matter which law I break.

I'll make the supermarket tabloids,
They'll write some awful stuff.
But the more they run my name down,
The more my price goes up.

Cuz, when you're a celebrity, it's adios reality.
no matter what ya do;
Now, I can fall in and out of love,
Have marriages that barely last a month.
When they go down the drain,
I'll blame it on the fame,
And say: "It's just so tough, bein' a celebrity."

So let's hitch up the wagons and head out west,
To the land of fun in the sun.
We'll be real world, bachelor, jackass millionaires.
Hey, hey Hollywood, here we come.

Yeah, when you're a celebrity, it's adios reality.
No matter what you do,
Bein' a celebrity.
Yeah, a celebrity.
Ah ha.

Aw, where's my coffee?
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:14 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1407147) wrote:That video... I love the Asian American lady saying "that exaggerated cartoon look from Asia." I don't know why. It makes me laugh. I'm weird.

So, but seriously. Do we KNOW this is connected to Anime or is it just, you know... What happened?

XDD Oh man, I laughed at that too. Amazing. XD

Anyways, my guess is that it's not entirely related to anime. I feel like I heard somewhere that a lot of Asian women find Western eyes appealing and want their eyes to be bigger, often turning to plastic surgery to make them that way. So if they can get contact lenses that make their eyes look bigger instead (or in addition to the plastic surgery, I guess), then that's kind of a bonus for them. Of course, here, it's likely attributed to anime and a larger, cartoonish look, but that's just my own guess. XD

Anyways, chibiphonebooth wears these sometimes, so she probably knows a lot more about them than I do, if she happens upon this thread. XD Personally, I don't like contact lenses in general. I hate even putting something like eye drops in my eyes, so something like contacts is just too scary for me. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Cloud500 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:16 pm

I've always been fine wearing contacts, but this is just a bit...odd.
Cloud500

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:18 pm

no.
those things really creep me out!! Big eyes like that are really freaky looking, haha.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:30 pm

I couldn't imagine wearing those. Or sclera contacts (Isn't that what they're called?). But I do wear colored contacts, they're my prescription ones.
Ante Bellum

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:56 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1407222) wrote:Personally, I don't like contact lenses in general. I hate even putting something like eye drops in my eyes, so something like contacts is just too scary for me. XD

Asdfkjl, a fear I always had when trying to wear contacts was the fear of them moving behind my eyes and I'm unable to get them out >_O

I wonder if the contacts make it harder for others to read her Poker Face :lol:
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Okami » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:56 pm

This made my eyes all itchy, watching. xD
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Nate » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:57 pm

I just don't wear contacts because I look ugly without glasses.

Well okay, I look ugly WITH glasses too, but less so, so contacts are definitely out.

Nate

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:08 pm

But Nate, think of the possibilities!
Ante Bellum

Postby steenajack » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Right now I'm wearing perscription contact lenses, and they're not that bad. They help me see. *shrugs* I personally don't mind colored contacts, but...I guess I find this kinda off because of the health reasons. O_O! I feel worried for the people going on Yahoo to buy these things. >.<! And I thought bootlegs were crazy.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Nate » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:37 pm

Ante Bellum wrote:But Nate, think of the possibilities!

What possibilities? :l

Besides I hate contacts, even if I don't want to wear them. Because girls with glasses are ALWAYS the cutest, and it makes me sad when girls with bad eyesight wear contacts instead of glasses. THEY ARE ROBBING THEMSELVES OF CUTENESS. u.u

Nate

Postby Lilac#18 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:44 pm

[color="Plum"]Those big eyes looks so weird and scary.[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:53 pm

I didn't read the article, so I might've missed this, but exactly how are these dangerous...?

ETA: Sounds like the same problems as with regular contacts to me-- don't sleep with them in and make sure they fit right. Big freaking deal. They COULD solve this problem by just making them legal in the US. But I guess that's too easy. XD

PS That girl they interviewed looked really good with those purple contacts, actually...
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:55 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1407287) wrote:I didn't read the article, so I might've missed this, but exactly how are these dangerous...?

Basically, if people aren't careful (and since circle lenses aren't prescribed), they might get a pair of lenses that don't fit their cornea properly, causing potential eye damage. Some people also claim that, since they aren't FDA approved, they might not be made in "sanitary conditions." At least, that's what the video said. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:02 pm

Nate (post: 1407275) wrote:What possibilities? :l

Besides I hate contacts, even if I don't want to wear them. Because girls with glasses are ALWAYS the cutest, and it makes me sad when girls with bad eyesight wear contacts instead of glasses. THEY ARE ROBBING THEMSELVES OF CUTENESS. u.u

People at my old school probably don't know my real eye color now. I had blue and green colored contacts and constantly switched them around. And I've scared people by moving them around my eye. There are plenty of possibilities.

And, um...I have nothing to say.
Ante Bellum

Postby Tamachan319 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:07 pm

That video was so weird! Although.......they would be really good for cosplay. Guess that's the point. I don't think I would actually wear them. Normal contacts are bothersome enough as it is. (But, for the encouragement of contact lenses, I do like mine. They don't get covered in rain, fog up when I'm drinking hot cocoa [not like I'd be drinking that in the middle of July], or get mascara on them when I have stage makeup on. Stage makeup is bad enough without getting black marks on your glasses!)
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby Firebird3613 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:30 pm

Huh, that's interesting. I don't really get why people like the big googly eyes; they kind of creep me out.
And that comment from the Asian lady was funny :lol:
Also, I wear contacts (prescription), and I actually prefer them over my glasses because I look kind of weird in glasses, and they're more comfortable then my glasses. With my glasses, I always have to adjust them or push them up (not to say that they're too big, because they're not, I'm probably just not used to wearing them 24/7), and that can get annoying. I don't think glasses are all that practical either, especially for sports and outdoor activity.
:hits_self <----This smilie made me laugh. I'm not really sure why...:lol:
Firebird3613

Location: I could be just a dream, in which case I don't live anywhere. ;)

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:22 am

Wow, Gaga made herself look goofier than usual.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Warrior4Christ » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:26 am

Nate (post: 1407154) wrote:Don't agree with this logic, same as "If God wanted me to have muscles I would've been born with 'em." You don't get born with muscles, you have to work out and develop 'em. XD

If God wanted us to play soccer, we wouldn't have been born with arms.

The large eyes are a little scary on some people...
I would have thought that as long as they stick to the standard prescription-type parameters and labelled them, they'd be fine. (Though you do have to trust they were made in "sanitary conditions".)
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Yamamaya » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:57 am

Actually the look kind of freaks me out.

But I don't see what's so epically dangerous about them. They seem to come with the regular risks of any contacts.
Yamamaya

Next

Return to General