Memory Photo Book

Talk about anything in here.

Memory Photo Book

Postby Sheenar » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:06 am

For those of you who remember, I had a Yellow Lab service dog named Pebbles who was trained by Canine Partners for Life to help me keep my balance while I walked, retrieve dropped items, tug off socks, open doors, etc. As she came to know me, she even began alerting me to my migraines before they started so I could take preventative measures.

Well, on April 30, 2010 I had to formally retire her from service after 4 years together due to hip displasia and osteoarthritis. I was unable to keep her (since she is no longer a service dog, but now a pet, she is over the weight limit for my housing), she was adopted by a member of my community who I know well.

Over our years together, we went to many places and saw many things. We were best friends and partners. She was a vital part of my life. She opened doors for me both literally and methaphorically.

I would like to share with you all a photo memory book I put together in honor of her retirement. Enjoy.

I miss her tremendously. I feel like I'm missing an arm. God sure blessed me with a great partner who served me faithfully. I wish her a very happy retirement and long years ahead.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:33 pm

I know this may seem dumb or not important to others, but I could really use some support in this. I just lost my best friend and my partner of 4 years.

I shared this memory book because I wanted to share this important event in my life with you all. I was hoping to show the great thing God did by giving her to me and some of the memories we had together --the amazing difference a service dog makes in the life of a person with a disability. God gave her to me and she enabled me to do things most people take for granted. She was a tremendous blessing.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:20 pm

Awwww, I really enjoyed seeing these! It's funny how much dogs become a part of the family, and it can definitely be difficult to let them go after such a long time. Here's hoping that you'll make lots of new, fond memories with your new service dog!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:55 pm

She looks like such a sweet dog, and like you had a great relationship with her! ^_^ Sorry I missed these before.
Ante Bellum

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:33 pm

*Hugs* I'm sure you made a great impact on her as she did on you :hug:
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:23 am

Awww how special! >_< You guys had some wonderful times! Here's to your new helper as well! :D I bet you guys will create new memories too! ^_^

How old are service dogs when they start working?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby GeneD » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:19 am

Awww, sweet photos. I'm glad for you that someone you know has adopted her, at least you can be sure that she will have a good home. :) Would you be able to visit her?
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Sheenar » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:10 pm

Gene, I do get to go visit her. Not as often as I'd like (because of school), but the staff member who adopted her doesn't live far away and all I have to do is call and set up a day/time to go by.

Kit-chan, service dogs are usually around 2 years old when they start working if they are from a program. After they finish their 18-24 months of training, they are then matched with a recipient, go through Team Training, and then begin working with their new partner.

Sheenar

Return to General