Christian Ocarina Maker

Talk about anything in here.

Christian Ocarina Maker

Postby firestorm » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:27 pm

This is so cool I saw this on cbn today! This guy was inspired by God and the game "Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" to start playing the ocarina, and now has his own business making ocarina's and just came out with his own ocarina cd "Ocarina Hymns."

http://www.spencersocarinas.com/

Isn't it just awesome how God can use ANYTHING to bring about his glory and show people His will for their lives :D
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:41 pm

Sweet! I have and play an ocarina, but I'll have to check this out further!
A quote I like is, "God can make a great Bass player out of complete mulch," and it's true, cause I play bass. XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:56 pm

What is ocarina?
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Nate » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:24 am

An ocarina is kind of like a flute, but not exactly. It's usually egg/oval shaped with various holes in it that you cover with your fingers to produce different notes when you blow into it (again, kind of like a flute).

As you can imagine, after the Zelda game, the popularity of the ocarina skyrocketed.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:26 am

An ocarina is a wind instrument that comes in a lot of different shapes and erm the word escapes me consistencies? Lol. Not right word. But I've seen porcelain ones, wood ones...it's like a flute (not a fancy, technical-instrument flute, simple "younger" flutes). Ocarina.

Oh. Oops. Nate beat me to the explanation. :P
MightiMidget

Postby Lynna » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:26 pm

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I want one to! :(
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Dante » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:30 pm

I remember how I was so excited to play the recorder back in elementary school because Link played one, I later played the flute for the same reason. Link made wind instruments cool :P. Legend of Gaia was also another game which had a lead male role playing a flute (which is just a bit weird thinking back on this)... and using it for a weapon, which inspired me to consider mine as one, but luckily I realized it was fragile and did not do so. My flute is very thankful for me choosing to do this.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Wow, that's really neat!

Postby crusader88 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:30 am

firestorm (post: 1400027) wrote:This guy was inspired by God and the game "Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time"...

Ah, can I ever relate to that! Every time I enter the chant-filled Temple of Time, I wish there was a button to make Link kneel in prayer rather than just crouch with his shield.
...you must begin a reading program immediately so that you may understand the crises of our age... Begin with the late Romans, including Boethius, of course. Then you should dip rather extensively into early Medieval. You may skip the Renaissance and the Enlightenment. That is mostly dangerous propaganda. Now that I think of it, you had better skip the Romantics and the Victorians too. For the contemporary period, you should study some selected comic books.

-Ignatius J. Reilly, in John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces, 1960s

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
crusader88

Postby SnoringFrog » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Pascal (post: 1400554) wrote:I remember how I was so excited to play the recorder back in elementary school because Link played one, I later played the flute for the same reason. Link made wind instruments cool :P. Legend of Gaia was also another game which had a lead male role playing a flute (which is just a bit weird thinking back on this)... and using it for a weapon, which inspired me to consider mine as one, but luckily I realized it was fragile and did not do so. My flute is very thankful for me choosing to do this.
But the boy using his flute as a weapon was also psychic and transformed into a knight and a blue flaming guy, so he obviously used psychic powers to hold the flute together. And did Will ever even play it in the game? It seems like he might have once, if that. Also, "lead male role playing a flute" sounds a lot weirder when you forget to space between role and playing.

He doesn't seem to have any auctions for actual ocarinas going at the moment, does anyone have a ballpark figure on how much they go for?
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Ante Bellum » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:12 pm

His Zelda ocarina looks familiar, I think I saw it on eBay for ~$75, but I think the Triforce piece was plated gold. Plus, if it was indeed the one, it's about the size, if not bigger, than a can of pop. Not a bad size. I'd love to learn how to play one, my brother brought me one from Japan with a finger chart for notes but it sometimes sounds weird. (I've got 3 ocarinas, but don't quite know how to play the other two.)
And they look a lot better than Songbirds. I saw one once and it was only 4 inches long, even though they are fairly pricey. Now they've updated their stock with some interesting things like flutes and differently shaped ocarinas.
Ante Bellum

Postby Nate » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:12 pm

And everyone forgets Alex played an ocarina in the remake of the first Lunar game.

Which came out in 1996.

TWO YEARS before Ocarina of Time came out.

But oh no, it was all Link. See, Link went BACK IN TIME or something and that's why Alex plays an ocarina in his game that came out FIRST. Link is such a hero. Claiming credit where it isn't due.
I wish there was a button to make Link kneel in prayer rather than just crouch with his shield.

I don't think the goddesses of Hyrule respond to prayer. The legend says they left after forming the Triforce and I think that pretty much takes care of things in Hyrule, and it doesn't respond to prayer either...just wishes. For proof of this, the Wind Waker intro states that when Ganon returned after the events of OoT, the people appealed to the gods. But as we all know, Hyrule got destroyed anyway. There's even a picture of the people bowing down to the Triforce, not that that proves much of anything, since the Triforce was still split into three pieces at that time (and the Triforce of Courage was shattered into eight shards).

Nate

Postby PrincessZelda » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Nate (post: 1401464) wrote:And everyone forgets Alex played an ocarina in the remake of the first Lunar game.

Which came out in 1996.

TWO YEARS before Ocarina of Time came out.

But oh no, it was all Link. See, Link went BACK IN TIME or something and that's why Alex plays an ocarina in his game that came out FIRST. Link is such a hero. Claiming credit where it isn't due.

Ocarina of Time does have Ocarina in the name, though. :)
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Ante Bellum » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:16 pm

Well, in Link to the Past he get a flute but, if you look at it, it looks like an ocarina. A blue sweet potato ocarina.
Ante Bellum

Postby Nate » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:21 pm

That makes me wonder if it was called an ocarina in the Japanese version of the game but they changed it to flute in the English localization because they thought people wouldn't know what an ocarina was. Then they just decided to roll with it for OoT.

LEGEND OF ZELDA: FLUTE OF TIME.

Nate

Postby PrincessZelda » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:26 pm

Nate (post: 1401469) wrote:That makes me wonder if it was called an ocarina in the Japanese version of the game but they changed it to flute in the English localization because they thought people wouldn't know what an ocarina was. Then they just decided to roll with it for OoT.

LEGEND OF ZELDA: FLUTE OF TIME.

Probably. Because it looks EXACTLY like the Ocarina of Time, lol.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Ante Bellum » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:26 pm

YAY. Anyways, it did always confuse me when they called it a flute.
And although this is off topic, am I the only one who wonders what Link did with Saria's fairy ocarina in OoT when he got the Ocarina of Time? Did he just throw it into the moat or something?
Ante Bellum

Postby Nate » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:34 pm

I often wondered that too. Especially since if you play Saria's Song after getting the Ocarina of Time, she's all "What? Your ocarina sounds...different somehow."

Nate

Postby PrincessZelda » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:45 pm

Nate (post: 1401483) wrote:I often wondered that too. Especially since if you play Saria's Song after getting the Ocarina of Time, she's all "What? Your ocarina sounds...different somehow."

Link's just like "Uhh... I have no idea what you're talking about ;;;;>_>"

PrincessZelda

Postby Snow » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Nate (post: 1401483) wrote:I often wondered that too. Especially since if you play Saria's Song after getting the Ocarina of Time, she's all "What? Your ocarina sounds...different somehow."

I'm surprised she didn't realize it also LOOKED different...
Snow

Postby Nate » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Well it's not like she could see it. XD

Nate

Postby Snow » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:53 pm

Oh yeah, huh? I was thinking of the obvious before I thought about what was actually going on... ^_^'
Snow

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:58 pm

The timing of the thread is a little funny, actually. I saw this guy's stuff a week or so before it popped up 'cause my wife has convinced me to pick up the Ocarina again. I actually went with a local supplier, Stl Ocarina. Got a good starter one. Just waiting for it to show up.

This guy's stuff is supposed to be real high quality, if just very pricey.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby SnoringFrog » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:42 pm

Snow (post: 1401490) wrote:I'm surprised she didn't realize it also LOOKED different...
I ate a bunch of blueberries, and then I tried to play it...and....this happened. I swear that's what happened.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Return to General