Snow

Talk about anything in here.

Snow

Postby ashfire » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:11 pm

The Washington DC area has been hit with snow so much I have not had a day off since Jan 24 and more this weekend and the middle of the week. I work for public works in the garage and we have been on the go since repairing trucks left and right. Our fleet has trucks back to the 90s to 2009 with a few 87s which only one of them has a plow on it. Over 300 trucks.
I have to get parts for them and we have spent our budget and in the hole with many of our vendors and still need parts and other things to make them run.
I feel it has all been dropped on me since my supervisor retired over two years ago and there is no help because they won't hire another person to work with me in what I do in supply. I does hamper things when you need parts right away and have to wait for delivery from a vendor. I use to pickup the parts and have them there so a truck could be finished before the end of the day.
April will be when I have 30 years of working for public works and I have been thinking of finding another job and get away from this job.
Something that doesn't involve working snow and odd hours of working.
ashfire

Postby ashfire » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:03 am

Well Wash, DC didn't make historial records on snow yet but we now have another storm for the middle of the week to add to what is out there now. Supplies are getting low for keeping trucks and other equipment running.
Breakdowns, stuck trucks, time waiting for tow trucks to get to where the trucks are and other hazards.
ashfire

Postby Peanut » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:21 pm

For a variety of reasons that I won't go into detail about on this site, I really don't want to see anymore snow for the rest of my life...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:29 pm

Peanut (post: 1372938) wrote:For a variety of reasons that I won't go into detail about on this site, I really don't want to see anymore snow for the rest of my life...

Lol I don't blame you at all ;__;

We reached a level 2 emergency thingy last night and some of today (I'd imagine) :-? I tried urging my dad to call into work to see if they were still open, but he just went to work anyway xP They were still working, but not too many there xD;
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:48 pm

I'm at Incheon airport right now, waiting for boarding to start in under an hour, and the snow is coming down pretty heavily... I just hope my flight doesn't get canceled. I'm sitting right in front of the cancellation board... It's freaking me out. Don't want to waste my little adventure last night, for sure.

EDIT: DIdn't read the post... Saw the topic was snow, saw the heavy snow outside, commented... D*oh! Yeah, I hear the east coast is in a big mess now, isn't it? I've never been in a blizzard before, but even the amount of snow I have dealt with was pretty bad... I feel for all my east coast friends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Ante Bellum » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:53 pm

So it really has been bad out there? Normally I can't imagine a place like that having a lot of snow. How deep?
Ante Bellum

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm not really sure, but the news said 8-10 inches across the area :-?

I think the snow stopped falling, but there's a bit of blowing/drifting snow :-? Which, makes it hard o see >__O
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:30 pm

I wish I was over on the East Coast right now. This winter in this area has been one of the least snowy winters we've ever had. There was about an inch or so in late December, and from then on, the temperature's been around 40 degrees (Fahrenheit). It doesn't have to be like last year, when we had about a couple feet that lasted all winter, but c'mon, anything's better than nothing.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:11 pm

Raleigh's not all that snowy right now. There's some mostly-frozen piles of snow left over from last week, but most of it's melted.

On the other hand, though, I actually have to drive up THROUGH DC this weekend. THAT will be "fun"
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby ashfire » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:01 pm

We got a blizzard we had snow Tuesday night. Then the blizzard hit early Wednesday morning up to 10 PM. There have been many building collaspes due to all the snow from Jan 25 to Feb 10. Most all flat roofs.
I know Katsucon is just near by where I live but I can't go because of work.
For those going have a safe trip there and back home and have fun there if you get there.
We have another storm due Monday night and sometime next week.
ashfire

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:34 pm

This has been the snowiest Oklahoma winter that I've ever seen, and I think the Christmas Eve Blizzard was probably the first blizzard in 25 or 30 years. Crazy stuff.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Sanji07 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:05 pm

Tomorrow will be the first time in eight years that the area in which I live him has had snow. I'LL EVEN BE OUT OF SCHOOL FOR A SNOW DAY! ^0^ Now maybe I can keep myself from sleeping through this one...
[color="SeaGreen"]@)}[/color][color="black"]~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature
Servant of: Hypersocks-the leader of extrolling hyperness! ^-^
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too and are not scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Sanji07

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:40 pm

Right now, I have about 3 or 4 inches of snow on the ground and its coming down hard still.

I took pictures and I hope to get out tomorrow. It didn't start snowing hard until 4 pm, so it was getting kind of dark to do anything with it.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:46 pm

We're getting snow right now! I'm not sure how many inches we're supposed to get, but it looks really pretty outside!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Dante » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:15 pm

I like snow, it gives us snow days, I wish we could have more!
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Strafe » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:50 pm

Yup. We got 2-3 feet of snow here in MD. And then it snowed like 10 inches again. I made $80 shoveling for people. It was fun... and painful.
This is an original signature
Strafe

Postby ashfire » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:59 am

I finally got a day off from working since the Jan 25 because of the snow storms that hit Wash. DC. I have to go back tomorrow and work regular hours. The TV weather people say another storm maybe here Monday and Tuesday. They are unsure what it maybe.
Our operation depends on a online weather forecasting service called Accuweather for what will be the weather. They show something like snow or rain but close to the end of the week they show rain and tempertures rising into March which could be a problem with all the piled up snow.
Now comes the other thing about replacing broken items around the house or buildings, along the streets and vehicles that took a beating during the storms.
ashfire

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:56 am

Last Thursday we had a record 12 1/2 inches of snow in Dallas. That blew away our previous record for any 24 hour period at any point in the year by over four inches, as I understand it. My kids were able to make a snowman big enough it still hasn't finished melting (probably will be gone by the time I get home today, though.) We also lost power for nearly a full day, so my weird hobby of collecting kerosene 'hurricane' lamps finally came in handy.

I know that Northerners find getting excited about a lousy foot of snow humorous. Just remember that Texas is at roughly the same latitude as Libya. We just aren't mentally equipped for this sort of thing! Also, usually we just get ice. Snow you can actually make snowballs and snowmen out of is a very rare event.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:09 pm

I know how you feel, Eric. We here in the Southeast are still trying to cope with the fact that it snowed more than once a year AT ALL.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Strafe » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:13 pm

They say its going to snow again this weekend. And again next weekend... That amounts to about 50 inches within 3 weeks. I missed 2 weeks of school already...
This is an original signature
Strafe

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:39 am

EricTheFred (post: 1374511) wrote:Last Thursday we had a record 12 1/2 inches of snow in Dallas. That blew away our previous record for any 24 hour period at any point in the year by over four inches, as I understand it. My kids were able to make a snowman big enough it still hasn't finished melting (probably will be gone by the time I get home today, though.) We also lost power for nearly a full day, so my weird hobby of collecting kerosene 'hurricane' lamps finally came in handy.

I know that Northerners find getting excited about a lousy foot of snow humorous. Just remember that Texas is at roughly the same latitude as Libya. We just aren't mentally equipped for this sort of thing! Also, usually we just get ice. Snow you can actually make snowballs and snowmen out of is a very rare event.

I know how you feel even more, Eric. 12.5 inches sounds very impressive.
Snow never happens around here, so even a cm of snowfall would have incredibly wide media coverage. I did a quick search of snowfall in my state, and there are two notable mentionings: 23 June 1981 and 21 October 1995 - both which occurred near the central parts of the state, on the edge of the outback (ie. not much population in the area). (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/environ/snow.shtml)
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby J.R. » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:54 am

*Looks outside*

Curse you, temperate climate. =P
Nothing that you have not given away will ever really be yours.
J.R.

Postby Lil_Ninja » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:36 am

No snow here.. ALMOST.. But no.. DANG SNOWLESS STATE!!

(Haha.. Global warming my FOOT! XD)
[SIZE="5"][color="Blue"]~[/color][color="Lime"]K[/color][color="Blue"]Y[/color][color="Lime"]L[/color][color="blue"]L[/color][color="lime"]A[/color][color="blue"]H[/color][color="lime"]A[/color][color="blue"]N[/color][color="blue"]~[/color][/SIZE]
[color="cyan"][SIZE="5"]42[/SIZE][/color]
[color="royalBlue"][SIZE="1"]The meaning of life,
the universe,
and everything.[/SIZE][/color]
Lil_Ninja

Postby F.M Disciple » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:45 pm

No snow here, on the West Coast.

But I'm Still hoping that we catch up on some much needed rain fall.

The past three winters have been pretty dry.
"Its very possible that I could give everything and obtain nothing, But still I have to try."
-Edward Elric.

"If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large."
-William Wilberforce.
F.M Disciple

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:09 pm

The snow has been melting.. Only to get new snow (lol) o.O
Tsukuyomi

Postby TGJesusfreak » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:44 pm

It does not snow here. I actualy wish it would... just a little...
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby Vega » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:59 pm

Connecticut has about ft and a half and more to come.I like snow so this is great
The mind is so complex when your based. 32 levels. Welcome to my world. --Lil B
I'm not guna let anything take the love from my heart, the love of life and spreading peace and positive, thank you earth I'm alive. --Lil B
Swag like I'm marrow, in my bones. Swag in my bones. Bone Marrow Swag. -- Lil B
Shouts out to Lil B "The Based God".
Vega

Return to General