Social anxiety and such.

Talk about anything in here.

Social anxiety and such.

Postby Aedin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:27 pm

Not really a thread to talk about it (unless other people want to) but I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with it (or deals with it) or any other anxieties, or depression, or whatnot. I couldn't find any other place to post this, and it's not a prayer request, so it doesn't go there. So does anyone else deal with it, or anything like it. Just wondering if I'm alone there. I (obviously) deal with it, and so sometimes it's hard for me to read forums, and post things, and talk to people, because of it.
Everybody was haiku writing, Their wits were fast as lightning
In fact it was a little bit frightening, But they wrote with expert rhyming
Aedin

Postby Ante Bellum » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:45 pm

I've warmed up quite a bit to CAA, so socially I guess I'm not extremely anxious. I do have some problems with people, but I think it's different from anxiety.
Depression, yes, I deal with quite a bit, and my mom does too. It's rather frequent for me, but not so much for her because she takes mood stabilizers.
So, no, you aren't alone at all.
Ante Bellum

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:50 pm

Yes, I've dealt with it immensely all my life. Then I decided I wanted a career in acting. Amazing how putting yourself in front of a crowd of people who are judging you over and over again does wonders for scaring it out of you. I still do not go out of my way to socialize, however.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:28 am

Oh gosh, yes. I've been a shy, awkward little twerp my whole life.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:20 am

I have anxiety attacks a lot and depression, I tried a concealer but it didn't help much :3 she got mad at me lol
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:38 am

I was like that as child. I was very shy and scare of people from all surgery's that I had. I felt like they would hurt me and I only let my family close to me. After time, I learn to cope and deal with it and never really look back since then.

[font="Book Antiqua"]
[color="Red"]
Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Gelka » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:06 am

I used to suffer from anxiety attacks all the time. I was so scared what would happen next that I would go into a break down and start crying. But, art has really helped me to cope with this and I am happy to say I no longer suffer from it. ^-^
Gelka

Postby jadeTheshade » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:00 pm

yup, i'm certainly one of the group.
i really am of the opinion people who don't have that kind of stuff are in the minority...>.>
noting against them, of course...;D
[font="Book Antiqua"]two roads diverged in a wood and i
took the one less traveled by
and that has made all the difference
-Robert F[color="black"][color="Blue"][/color][/color]rost[/font]
jadeTheshade

Postby Wikiwalker » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:00 pm

When I was little I could barely talk to people outside my family and often felt unable to talk due to my fears, I would open my mouth and be unable to make a sound. As I've grown up I can talk more easily, though it is still hard for me to begin conversations, and on occasion I still have bouts of muteness if I'm startled or something. I don't really mind any of it anymore because I have realized that it was my inability to speak that led me to writing, even if it does make it difficult to talk to people.
Wikiwalker

Postby Dante » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:22 pm

I don't do well around lots of other people in social situations. I teach fine, but I can be a complete maniac when I teach - and I'm not trying to be anyone's friend over a long period. In social situations, I still have somewhat of a hangover from a childhood of acting on "my best behavior". That is to say, I never loosen up around other people in person and stay almost exclusively to myself. The internet is about the only place I'm closer to my real self. I'm trying to change that and I'm writing down a huge paper that's just sort of coming into being... like a thesis about myself. But mostly, for now, I stay as isolated as possible - I don't even want to say the number of RL friends I have :P. But then again, a RL friendship as I define it is a thoroughly exhausting experience I imagine, I'm not sure anyone would really want to take a part in it.

But, so far, I'd recommend that. Write a thesis about what it is you value in other people, a literal list of things you think you'd value truly if you had a friend that could exhibit those qualities or abilities.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:31 pm

I like being around people but I'm incredibly socially inept and so I get anxious whenever I have to make conversation with people I don't know/trust.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby MightiMidget » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:31 pm

I was a really extroverted and energetic and outgoing little kid, but when I got older and realized how much I annoyed my older sister and her friends I went through a depression and am now much more introverted and scared of people. I love and hate people. I love being around people, and seeing the individual quirks God gave them and how amazingly unique everyone is. However, at the same time I have difficulty finding what is being myself and what is trying to be accepted. It's getting better, it's something that gets better with time and trying. But I'm still rather people-bitter, and scared of them.

I think it's important to understand we will be hurt again and again, but if we hide ourselves in a little bubble and refuse to get close to people, we are also just hurting ourselves more. I know, it's cliche, but it's true. We're also hurting people who may want to get close to us, but we refuse to see. That isn't fulfilling our purpose as Christians. This isn't exactly on topic? But I think it's close enough I'd like to quote it:

[quote="stuffchristianslike.net"]Sometimes, we Christians, worry that if we admit things are not going well in our lives you will assume that our God is not good. You will see our struggles as a reflection of who our Lord is. So instead of being honest, we will drop the Christian “Fâ€
MightiMidget

Return to General