Mistakes We Make When Arguing A Point

Talk about anything in here.

Mistakes We Make When Arguing A Point

Postby Chrysolite » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:10 pm

Recently I got in an argument after posting a statement regarding my beliefs about a certain matter. After looking back on my post and the general response I received, I recognized several mistakes I made when dealing with the issue. :brow: I thought this would be a good discussion topic, because I think we've all had times when we wish we could take back something we said, and if we share our thoughts and experiences with this struggle we might help each other learn how to tactfully and responsibly approach an argument. So, if in the heat of the moment you've ever said something you didn't mean, or something you did mean that you just wish you'd phrased better, please share what you gleaned from the experience, and hopefully we can learn from each other's mistakes as well as our own. ;) I'll start with my particular case, since that's what inspired this thread...

I came across a topic where several people raised complaints about a character who I really, really like (most of us can relate to this, right? :sweat:). I retaliated by posting a Biblical argument for why I thought they were wrong to condemn this character and I allowed myself to get rather bold. I won't go into detail (mostly because I don't want to resurrect that argument) but here are the mistakes I think I made:

1. I let it get too personal :stressed:
Anything we consider worth arguing over is likely something we feel strongly about, but if you're trying to present a convincing argument, people will find it easier to take you seriously if you handle yourself objectively. Your position will be all the better for some passion, but it's best not to speak as though you're defending yourself and not your point.

2. I spliced subjects :eh:
I was trying to support my opinion with scripture, but after speaking to several people about it and carefully rereading my post, I realized that my point regarding the character and my point regarding the Bible weren't strongly connected enough that they made sense paired together. This caused my words regarding both my points to seem vague and unreliable, and as a result my meaning was not properly conveyed and many readers misunderstood what I was trying to say. You can use several examples to support a single point, but it's not usually a good idea to use a single example to argue two separate points at once, because it causes confusion as to what exactly you're trying to prove. I made this mistake because both my points connected in my own mind and I didn't consider that this wouldn't be the case with a third person.

3. I went overboard :mutter:
It's good to be honest, but sometimes the feelings in the deepest reaches of your heart are best left there. Some of my statements were too brash for anyone who didn't already agree with me to feel inclined to consider my point. It's a fine line between a reasonable argument and an outburst, but one we must walk if we want ourselves to be heard.

I don't regret saying something, but I think I could have handled the situation better and I hope this experience will help me to improve in the long run. :) The last thing I feel I should mention is that I'm not trying to endorse arguing. Arguments should generally be avoided, but they happen sometimes, and once in a while they even spur growth in people who are open-minded enough to consider other points of view. So what I'm getting at with this thread is not that we should argue a certain way, but rather that when we must argue, we should approach it so that we make progress without making enemies. :angel:
[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color]

Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise—
why destroy yourself?

Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool—
why die before your time?

It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other.
The man who fears God will avoid all extremes.

—Ecclesiastes 7:16-18
Chrysolite

Postby goldenspines » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:24 pm

In situations like these, I always encourage myself to avoid answering someone back immediately. I take a few hours or even a day to clear my thoughts so I can give my response without being clouded by the emotion of the moment.
Sure, the other person will have to wait, but I don't think it would kill them to be patient. And in the end, they will be thankful that they get a clearhead response.

Another thing to keep in mind in general is to take a few steps back and look at the big picture. Is the thing you're arguing about really worth all this fuss? A matter of scriptural truth is more important than trying to convince someone that, er, cake is good (for example).

And lastly, reread what you typed before you post (or press send). This is really good for any situation, not just for discussions and arguments.
goldenspines

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:21 pm

It is very easy to get carried away, but one thing that helps is remembering that it is only an opinion ^^ Everyone has different opinions about this or that, and I think remembering this keeps me out of trouble ^___^

I'm sure the other may not agree with my opinion, but that's perfectly fine ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:45 pm

for me I take a lot of stuff personal
if someone teases me of corrects me I get depressed lol
anyways I mess up alot too I was life was like a movie u can rewind it lol
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Chrysolite » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:29 pm

[Quote=goldenspines]In situations like these, I always encourage myself to avoid answering someone back immediately. I take a few hours or even a day to clear my thoughts so I can give my response without being clouded by the emotion of the moment.
Sure, the other person will have to wait, but I don't think it would kill them to be patient. And in the end, they will be thankful that they get a clearhead response.

Another thing to keep in mind in general is to take a few steps back and look at the big picture. Is the thing you're arguing about really worth all this fuss? A matter of scriptural truth is more important than trying to convince someone that, er, cake is good (for example).[/quote]
That's some really good advice! :thumb: You really have a thing for cake and cookies, huh? ^-^

I think sometimes what gets me is when people are stating an opinion about something trivial, but I get the feeling that opinion is rooted in something more serious. At times like these I feel compelled to try to correct them, but I'm learning that it's not always smart to act on this impulse, and that when I do, I shouldn't speak in the context of the more serious issue or I'll just make people get defensive.

why destroy yourself?

Chrysolite

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:33 am

It also depends on how the other perceives something :-? They can take as good or bad :-?

I've seen both instances where post have been taken positively and negatively.. As if the internet wasn't confusing already, eh?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:48 am

Another common error is not reading the comments on a thread before posting. Useful moderation notes and possibly the same question/point you were about to post have been known to reside there. Reading these can give a feeling for the tone of a thread as well and keep you from repeating arguments or getting in trouble.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Dante » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:09 pm

Just as long as you didn't violate Godwin's Law, there is still a chance for redemption :P.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Chrysolite » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:21 pm

Godwin's law? :?:

why destroy yourself?

Chrysolite

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:03 am

Chrysolite (post: 1346256) wrote:Godwin's law? :?:

Heehee, I'd admit I'm wasn't really sure what this law was either, but... I just found this 8D

"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches.

Oh All Knowing Wiki, how you are.. Well, all knowing XDD
Tsukuyomi

Return to General