Help Mith, please! Take a quick survey about video.

Talk about anything in here.

Help Mith, please! Take a quick survey about video.

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:21 am

Hey everyone!

This question is basically for everyone one the board. I'm working on a project (for work) that requires me to figure out what "average young people, but some older people too" have on their computer. I figure I'd post on CAA, because that's almost the exact demographic. :D

If you have the time to take a quick poll and/or the attached survey, it would really help me out. Thanks!!!!

Quick Media Survey:

1) When looking at a video online, do you prefer to see a lot of options for media type (avi, mov, flash, etc) and quality (hi, medium, low), or do you prefer to just have one "Pretty good quality video that plays without me having to think about it?"

2) If you were trying to learn something from a video clip, would you rather see high-quality video, that you have to wait a few extra seconds before watching, or would you rather see lower quality video that you can start watching right now?

3) Do you prefer to watch most of your video content while sitting in front of a computer, or do you prefer to watch video media on a TV, Video iPod, or other portable media player? (Feel free to let me know if your favorite viewing device isn't listed!)

4) Have you ever watched video on a video iPod or other portable video device? If so, what did you think of the experiance? Was it something you would want to do again?

5) For current or former students, if you could get access to your class lectures in MP3 format, would you listen to them? Would you rather listen to them on the computer, or via iPod or other portable media player? Do you think it would help you remember stuff the teacher went over in class?

6) Lastly, have you had a teacher or class that used video outside of the classroom? If so, how, and was it helpful?

Thank you so much for helping me out! I really appreciate it!

PS: If you happen to know off hand and you are a PC (windows or linux) user: Do you think most people have iTunes and/or Quicktime installed on their computers?

* If you have a player that is capable of playing h.264 quicktime files, please answer "Yes" to this one. We're trying to figure out how wide QT market *availability* is. THANKS!!!
Mithrandir

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:30 am

1. I like options.
2. High-quality. I don't mind waiting a bit longer.
3. This is a toughie. I think I prefer using my TV as a monitor.
4. No.
5. Yes, I would listen to them in MP3 (or other format).
6. No, I haven't had a teacher use video outside of the classroom.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:23 am

1. Options are best.

2. It would depend on what I was trying to learn. The more intricate detail required in the task, the longer I am willing to wait.

3. I prefer watching it on a television which is connected to a computer.

4. Yes. I have watched movies on my ipod, and to be honest I'd rather not do so unless I have no other option. I would never watch anything on the iPod if I hadn't already watched it on a larger, better screen first, though.

5. I would not listen to them unless I had missed something in my notes or in lecture. A computer would be the ideal listening device, since I would primarily be skipping around to find the bits I missed.

6. Yes, my Film 100 class has a number of outside viewing materials, including both movies and educational videos, which can be checked out at the college library. In the case of educational videos, we were given a page of questions which could be answered as the video played. This was extremely helpful as it brought together the three learning types: Visual, audio, and experience.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Purplefire » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:35 am

1) When looking at a video online, do you prefer to see a lot of options for media type (avi, mov, flash, etc) and quality (hi, medium, low), or do you prefer to just have one "Pretty good quality video that plays without me having to think about it?"
I prefer avi, but that's getting tough to find. I can play flash but I hate having to upload the latest version. I also prefer higher quality videos, but if my computer can't keep up with the video it's not the end of the world. I just go to the next quality down and try again.

2) If you were trying to learn something from a video clip, would you rather see high-quality video, that you have to wait a few extra seconds before watching, or would you rather see lower quality video that you can start watching right now?
When I load video clips, I always start to load, walk away and then come back later to watch.

3) Do you prefer to watch most of your video content while sitting in front of a computer, or do you prefer to watch video media on a TV, Video iPod, or other portable media player? (Feel free to let me know if your favorite viewing device isn't listed!)
I like watching videos on my television for the sole reason that I get to sit on my comfy couch, but I'm good with watching on my computer as well.

4) Have you ever watched video on a video iPod or other portable video device? If so, what did you think of the experiance? Was it something you would want to do again?
Nope.

5) For current or former students, if you could get access to your class lectures in MP3 format, would you listen to them? Would you rather listen to them on the computer, or via iPod or other portable media player? Do you think it would help you remember stuff the teacher went over in class?
I would rather listen in class to the teacher, since most classes had a set time. Who knows if I would actually listen to the pod cast?

6) Lastly, have you had a teacher or class that used video outside of the classroom? If so, how, and was it helpful?
Yes, we were required to watch many videos outside of class for several of my classes. They were helpful teaching tools that would have taken too much time in class but was perfect for learning outside of class.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Blue"]
^My webcomic[/color]
[color="Magenta"]"Try having pastries as your hair style." ~Purplefire[/color]
[color="Cyan"]"If you throw us in the fire, the God we serve can rescue us from your roaring furnace and anything else you might cook up, O king. But even if he doesn't, it wouldn't make a bit of difference, O king. We still wouldn't serve your gods or worship the gold statue you set up." Daniel 3:17-18[/color]
Purplefire

Postby eternalprincess » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:37 am

1. Options. I love 'em.

2. To me it doesn't really matter. I am willing to wait. But still, it doesn't affect me either way.

3. Depends on what I'm watching. Normally I just watch full length things on the TV, save the shows for my computer.

4. Yes. It was interesting, probably something I wouldn't do often though.

5. Yes, I would. I would prefer listening to them via iPod or MP3. And I think it would be good as a memorization tool.

6. No, I have never had a teacher do that.

@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
eternalprincess

Location: Texas: Sitting at the computer writing, and explaining anime to someone who found out I'm into it.

Postby Aletheia » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:39 am

Yes, options are always good.

Probably wait for high quality.

I usually use my laptop, simply because it's convenient for me, but if I had a good screen and sound system that I could use without disturbing others, I would probably use it a lot more.

Yes, I used to have a video iPod. The visuals weren't bad, but the screen was a little small, and subtitles are almost impossible to read. I would probably not get another one.

No, probably not. I'm the type of person who doesn't study unless I have to, and I also generally learn better by reading or writing than just by hearing.

Nope, sorry. I always enjoy videos inside the classroom, however.
MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Aletheia

Postby Technomancer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:40 am

Itunes & QT: Neither of these are installed on my work computer, although QT is installed on my home computer.

1)Unless I'm making the material, I don't need the options.

2)High quality video is better.

3)In front of the TV. It's more comfortable that way.

4)No.

5)I don't think I would.

6)Yes, one class used a video for instructing students on how to use a polarizing microscope. The video was at best only marginally useful (I can't think of anything in the video that couldn't have been read from the book) and one of the dullest things I've ever seen.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Robin Firedrake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:46 am

Options. I'm a variety guy!

High quality. I'm not gonna learn anything if I can't see it clearly.

Computer for me mostly. I don't really care to use a portable thing (Actually it would be nice but those are too expensive)

No.

Yes I would listen to them and I'm pretty sure it would help me.

Erm... Homeschooler.
Robin Firedrake

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:08 pm

1. I don't care for options. I just want it to play with a decent quality. Now if the quality horrendously sucks, THEN I will change it to "High Quality".

2. Usually in High-Quality. Every clear pixel helps!

3. Computer is fine.

4. Yes. I found it a hassle. I would probably enjoy it more if used in a different setting.

5. I probably wouldn't listen to them.

6. Yes. Speech class.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Midori » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:09 pm

1. I like having options, but if there's H.264 I'll take it.
2. I prefer higher-quality with some delay, as long as the buffer is not limited in size *coughhulucough*
3. My computer is my portable video device.
4. No. I would like it if it had good resolution.
5. I would listen to them if I had missed a part in the lecture. On the computer.
6. No.

Also, I don't have quicktime, but I can view most quicktime movie formats. Which option should I select?
Midori

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:02 pm

Choices are nice, but not so many of them to the point where it becomes more then just watching a video.

I prefer high quality, but if not high.. at least pretty good (medium) quality >_>

How long are we talking about? A few more seconds won't hurt anything ^^ Better the quality.. better the learning experience ^^? Or, at least it makes it more tolerable XD

Ever since owning my own computer... I prefer watching stuff on the computer ^^ The tv is fine, but there's so many distractions (people walking in front of you while watching something... being loud).

I has no IPod or any other media devices of my own, but I have experienced the experience XD It's alright.

This can go both ways, but it would definitely be helpful ^ ^ You an always go back to whatever part you didn't understand.

No as in,"No, this has never happened." xD

Wow, I was no help xD;

Doesn't Itunes requre you to have quicktime anyways?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:35 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1296011) wrote:1) When looking at a video online, do you prefer to see a lot of options for media type (avi, mov, flash, etc) and quality (hi, medium, low), or do you prefer to just have one "Pretty good quality video that plays without me having to think about it?"
I'm satisfied with the latter, but I enjoy having the option of higher quality.
Mithrandir (post: 1296011) wrote:2) If you were trying to learn something from a video clip, would you rather see high-quality video, that you have to wait a few extra seconds before watching, or would you rather see lower quality video that you can start watching right now?
Depends on the source. If I'm watching a graphical demo or a piece of animation, I'll wait for the sharp, clean high quality stream. But if it's just something cut from a news broadcast or just a homemade movie, I'm fine with instantaneous gratification, in all its grainy resolution.
Mithrandir (post: 1296011) wrote:3) Do you prefer to watch most of your video content while sitting in front of a computer, or do you prefer to watch video media on a TV, Video iPod, or other portable media player? (Feel free to let me know if your favorite viewing device isn't listed!)
My laptop, mainly because I don't own a television or portable DVD player.
Mithrandir (post: 1296011) wrote:4) Have you ever watched video on a video iPod or other portable video device? If so, what did you think of the experiance? Was it something you would want to do again?
No.
Mithrandir (post: 1296011) wrote:5) For current or former students, if you could get access to your class lectures in MP3 format, would you listen to them? Would you rather listen to them on the computer, or via iPod or other portable media player? Do you think it would help you remember stuff the teacher went over in class?
Actually, I have done something like this on campus. The library offers chapel make-ups for people who didn't make the minimum requirement during the semester on CD. It is more expensive than just attending them (which is free), but otherwise I'm more receptive to it in the comfort of my own room in the evening than on the cold gym floor in the barely-awake mornings.
Mithrandir (post: 1296011) wrote:6) Lastly, have you had a teacher or class that used video outside of the classroom? If so, how, and was it helpful?
No.
Mithrandir (post: 1296011) wrote:PS: If you happen to know off hand and you are a PC (windows or linux) user: Do you think most people have iTunes and/or Quicktime installed on their computers?
I think most people have iTunes, as it's easily one of the more popular music cataloging and shopping services. As for Quicktime, it probably depends on which sites they frequent, since I've come across a couple that required Quicktime in some form or another to function. Most likely most people have it, downloaded it at some point in the past to play some media file online, but they usually don't use it, moving on to bigger and better media players.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:41 pm

Midori (post: 1296047) wrote:...I don't have quicktime, but I can view most quicktime movie formats. Which option should I select?

I toyed with phrasing the question as "do you have a quicktime compatible rendering codec," but ended up with the above. You can say "yes" if you are able to view h.264 videos encapsulated in a MOV container format (VLC, anyone? :D )

[quote]Wow, I was no help xD]

Actually, you were VERY helpful! I'm looking to see what MOST people think - so every answer helps me get closer to a statistical median. :D And yes, iTunes requires quicktime, but not everyone knows that. I put it that way so it would be easier to understand.

Keep 'em coming, everyone! These are AWESOME!
Mithrandir

Postby Peanut » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:00 pm

1) Good quality all the way...

2) I don't mind waiting too much, so I guess the first option.

3)Usually I watch stuff on my computer but I generally don't mind any of the other options. I guess it depends on availability more then anything...

4) I have watched video on my iPod and yes, it is something I would want to do again. Sure the screen is small but it didn't seem to hurt the quality that much...

5)I would absolutely love to get them in MP3 format...of course I'm already sort of doing this already so yeah...and it has helped me with memory...

6)My speech class did and it was sort of helpful. The main problem I had was finding something to play a VHS tape on though this has since been replaced with video on the web (I guess).
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Survery Response - Reon

Postby Reon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:11 pm

[font="Century Gothic"]1) I prefer it simplified like youtube, with a single option for higher quality.
(flv format floats my boat - unless you intend on people downloading it)

2) Higher quality for professionalism, otherwise I'll be less likely to pay attention.

3) Computer is my designated media device.

4) If it had a wide screen like the Playstation Portable, yes. Sadly, I've stopped using other devices besides my smartphone and computer.

5) Yes, I would listen to MP3's of a class depending on whether or not the teacher told stories constantly. I'd prefer to listen to them on my computer.

6) Yes I have and it was very helpful (visual learner).

I tried to keep it short since I know you'll be reading a few. Feel free to send me a PM if you need a more in depth response. Sincerely, Reon.[/font]
[color="DimGray"]
[SIZE="1"][font="Arial Narrow"]....[/font][/SIZE]
[/color]
Reon

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:20 pm

1) Options are fine. I know which ones I prefer, but they're always good to have for backup. XD

2) If I'm trying to learn something, I'd definitely prefer a high quality video, just so I could see the details of what I was trying to learn a bit better.

3) It really depends on what I'm watching. Youtoube videos, anime, and other things that are made available to me on the computer, I prefer to watch on the computer. Other media, like full length movies, I prefer to watch on a TV.

4) I have, yes. It's not a bad experience, but it can definitely be difficult to see subtitles or details. XD I would most likely hook my iPod to a TV or computer instead of watching clips on the device itself.

5) Yes, yes, and yes. XD I would really prefer it on iPod or MP3 player format though, for the portability factor.

6) Yes, but only links to videos on other sites.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Whitefang » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:03 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1296011) wrote:Hey everyone!
Quick Media Survey:

I typically have extremely variable connection speeds, so I prefer to have the pretty good quality video that just plays.

If the video is embedded in a webpage, I prefer to be able to watch it immediately. If it is a downloadable clip, I would prefer higher quality.

I prefer to watch media on a TV or my computer.

I have watched video on a portable DVD player. It was a satisfying experience. I was able to watch a movie where I normally would have been unable to.

No, I would not listen to them. It would, however, give me an excuse to not go to lecture...

N/A

PS: If you happen to know off hand and you are a PC (windows or linux) user: Do you think most people have iTunes and/or Quicktime installed on their computers?

Yes I think most people have iTunes and Quicktime.
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby Esoteric » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:50 pm

Quick Media Survey:

1) Tough question. When watching TV shows and such, I like it to just play or only offer me a simple choice between standard and high-def. When watching movie trailers or other short clips, I do enjoy being able to pick a format I like/have a Player installed for. And yes, I typically choose a small aspect Quicktime file.

2) High quality is always nice; I don't mind waiting 20 seconds if it means a nice crisp stall-free playback. But this only applies to something of substantial length. I'm probably not going to repeatedly wait 20 seconds to watch 50 second clips.

3) My computer.

4) Not really. A friend once put some videos on my DS of all things. It was kinda neat having portability, but it's just not the way I'd prefer to seriously watch a lot of stuff.

5) Unlike video, having the option to listen to audio lectures on an MP3 player sounds nice indeed. I could listen to them while working or whatever and they'd be like instant notes I could go back over if I missed something.

6)I once took a Flash class which utilized a lynda.com teaching course. It was basically a cd-rom with working files and instructional videos (quicktime format). It was okay. I generally found the videos to be dull, but it was nice being able to 'rewind' confusing sections when I didn't catch what they did the first time.

I currently own a Mac, but until a year ago owned a PC. It had Quicktime and I preferred it to Windows Media and Flash. I think a lot of people have iTunes or Quicktime, especially in high school/college demographics
Esoteric

Postby goldenspines » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:20 pm

1. Unless I need to use the video for something (like to download it onto my computer, or put in on my ipod), I don’t really care what format it is, as long as it plays okay(no glitches or anything) and has good quality. XD
2. I’d rather have a hi-quality video, since I have to be able to see it clearly in order to understand it fully.
3. I tend to lean towards watching a video on a computer, because of the bigger screen and I don’t have to squint very much either. But if I have to go somewhere and want to watch a video on the way, I’d rather have the video on my ipod so I don’t have to haul around my 11 lb. laptop. XD
4. Yes, I have. I rather liked how it played, quality wise. Besides the smallness of the screen, it’s a great way to watch videos wherever.
5. I think I may listen to lectures if they were in MP3 format. The only reason I would listen to them would be because I’m on the go doing something else and don’t have much time to sit down and look at my notes to review the material. So, if I could get them for my ipod, that would be the best.
6. No, I haven’t. But I’ve seen samples of the videos used for stuff like that and it’s all right. But I prefer a living, breathing professor right in front of me that I can ask questions to during the lecture if I need to. XD

P.S. Extra question: I would think so. Considering how many people have some form of an ipod, and even if they don't, Itunes is one of the best ways to organize music and videos(not to mention buy them as well). And Quicktime comes with the installation of Itunes last time I checked, so if you have one, you probably have the other.

I hope I didn't leave anything out. And I hope this helped. ^_^
goldenspines

Postby Icarus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:58 pm

Wow, I'm the only one with a definitive "no" on the poll.

Q1. I would appreciate a choice, but as long as it plays it's mostly all the same.

Q2. If I was trying to learn something, I'd much prefer a high quality video.

Q3. TV. The larger screen helps my appreciation.

Q4. Aside from laptops, no.

Q5. Realistically, only if I missed that day.

Q6. Nope.

And personally, I feel that iTunes has reached the point of ubiquity.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Kaligraphic » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:04 pm

Depends on the options. I'll take a good-quality avi for download, but flash is alright for watching stupid videos on the net. I really liked the web divx player that stage6 used - clear quality and easily watchable, but that sort of thing isn't particularly common. I dislike .mov.

A few extra seconds of buffering are fine for short clips. For longer clips or streaming, it's good to hold the bitrate to 600kbps or so, so that it's playable on the average cheap dsl. My parents have 768 down, and Hulu sometimes works fine there, sometimes is choppy, especially if someone else opens a web browser.

I watch video content from the net on my computer. It's there, it's convenient, and I've got a decent-sized screen. The TV has been inconvenient for that sort of content since my laptop with the S-Video out kicked the bucket, and was previously used for group entertainment, not personal viewing. DVDs still go on the TV, though.

Tried watching video on a phone. It was a cool idea, but terrible in execution. The first phone I tried it on had issues syncing the sound to the video - but that may have been a problem with the encoding. Trying it again on a Motorola Q (early Verizon software) produced bad results. Technical problems aside, I feel that the current portable video devices are simply too small to enjoyably watch video content. Some of them may be useful as inputs for larger screens, but I don't think much of them on their own.

Typically not. I might look for specific information in them, but I would not really go back to them for studying. If I did use them, I would play them from the computer, for convenience and faster seeking.

I home schooled for much of my education, and at one point used a curriculum that included sets of videos. They were essentially the same as the written material, presented by a rather dull man in a suit. As a bonus, it included interludes where absurd situations were used to illustrate Biblical teachings. It was more "mildly entertaining" that "helpful".

I've also had classes where I had to watch a movie for credit/discussion, but that doesn't seem like what you're looking for.

In my experience, it's typically the savvy/music-hungry types in their teens-30s that have iTunes/Qt installed on their personal machines. This is a large slice of the Windows market in that age range, but there are still plenty of people who use Windows Media Player. Others, like myself, use iTunes for music, but not for video. It's common, but I don't believe it to be ubiquitous.

I'll note that anime fans in general, and those serious enough to join forums like this one in particular, tend to be more media-hungry, and thus more likely to have iTunes installed. The choice of venue for this poll will skew the results somewhat.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Return to General